What even is a strength training program?

2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Kelll12123 wrote: »
    I'm (clearly) very new to strength training. I'm a cardio gal, but I'm looking for something new and to build muscle. I joined the gym today, used the machines, and now feel sore (but good). What's wrong with doing that a few times a week and pushing myself each time? Everyone talks about strength training programs. Do I need one? How do I choose one? Do I follow it exactly? I have no idea what I'm doing, please help.

A structured program will help ensure that you're not missing muscles and groups of muscles and also to help ensure that you're not conversely overtraining certain muscles and groups of muscles. It is not uncommon for people who have been doing their own thing for awhile to develop muscular imbalances. People who just randomly do their own thing also tend to do a lot of isolation movements when they would benefit more having compound movements at the foundation of their programming.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    You can find different programs out there, try bodybuilding.com. They have various free programs depending on your goals (weight loss, building muscle, building strength, body transformation, etc) and also videos on how to perform each exercise. Also YouTube can be very helpful as another free resource, but there's a lot of conflicting information & ametures too so be careful.

I do think a program is valuable- I have been working out with a trainer and on my own for several months doing random full body type workouts with body weight exercises, TRX, dumbbells, barbells, cables, machines, etc. I learned a lot and got strong all over, and it was a good way to ease in, but I lacked focus. Just recently I started a program that is a split type strength training program. That means you work specific muscle on different days, a common split is to do back & bicep one day, chest and tricep another, and then a leg/lower body day. The one I'm doing is a little different, it's a 4 day split. But I notice a big difference already in that I get a more specific workout, sore in specific muscles so I know I'm working them well, and I can track easily from week to week if I'm making improvements (increasing weight or more reps for the same exercise).

You'll need to do at least probably 3 days a week doing strength training, and also some cardio as well. The amount of cardio depends on what type and again depends on your goals.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Just do a lot of research. It's great you're asking questions, don't feel bad I knew literally nothing about this a year ago and now I'm finally feeling pretty competent.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Coachjr29 wrote: »
    I don't think anyone should bench until they can do a proper push-up. And don't squat until you can do an airsquat. The knees should not go in. I would use bands for airsquats to help build the hips.

I don't know about that... I can bench 70lbs (newbie), but cannot do a single pushup.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    I don't think anyone should bench until they can do a proper push-up. And don't squat until you can do an airsquat. The knees should not go in. I would use bands for airsquats to help build the hips.

I don't know about that... I can bench 70lbs (newbie), but cannot do a single pushup.

I'm the same. A 35kg bench is far easier for me than lifting my not-insignificant bodyweight in a push up.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member

I'm the same. A 35kg bench is far easier for me than lifting my not-insignificant bodyweight in a push up.

I can barely do 1 full push up, but I can bench 5x5 (haven't even tested my 1rm). I have a while to go before I can bench my body weight. :pensive:
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member
    Just downloaded this app to see what it was all about. Is this meant to be done at a gym? Or with purchased equipment? Such as?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Exercise is what happens when you go to the gym and do exactly the same thing you did last time you went to the gym, or when you do P90X, CrossFit, or any other randomized program.

These activities are performed for one reason: the effect they produce for you today, right now... you showed up, moved some stuff around, got sweaty, tired, and maybe out of breath, but you did the same thing Friday as you did Wednesday, and now that you think of it, the same thing you did Monday.

Training is not about today. It's about the process of going from where you are now to where you want to be later for the purpose of meeting a specific performance goal – usually at a specific time for more advanced trainees on a competitive schedule, but at first for the simple purpose of completing the novice phase of training, the first few months when it's easier to add weight every workout and get stronger very quickly.

--Mark Rippetoe

Source
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Just downloaded this app to see what it was all about. Is this meant to be done at a gym? Or with purchased equipment? Such as?

Which app? If you mean 5x5, its meant to be done with barbell free weights and a squat rack. You could purchase your own...but I think its easier to find a gym with suitable equipment.
  • HeathermRVT
    HeathermRVT Posts: 79 Member

Which app? If you mean 5x5, its meant to be done with barbell free weights and a squat rack. You could purchase your own...but I think its easier to find a gym with suitable equipment.

Haha That is what I meant. I should go to bed.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Check out the 5-3-1 program. It's an easy way to start and improve at a consistent pace.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    Check out the 5-3-1 program. It's an easy way to start and improve at a consistent pace.

5/3/1 is more for intermediate lifters. I mean you can do it as a beginner, but its best for those who have experience with the big 3 lifts and OHP and who want to continue building strength with those lifts. While sets are easy and logical, it is by no means for a beginner as it requires you to establish a "training max" before even starting the program, which requires you to lift in a safe manor right off the back.

Great programs for beginners include strongcurves, stronglifts 5x5, or any sort of linear progressive programming.
  • theclaw900
    theclaw900 Posts: 320 Member
    Glad you have a plan. As Niner said starting strength a good place to start too.