Calling all Hunters/Gatherers

Options

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    l650m7faa971.jpg

I let this youngster walk Saturday about 6:30pm EST. :) was fun to see him. all of about 10 yards lol.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't have the ability/urge to get up early enough to hunt, but we do raise our own steers and have them humanely butchered. I also garden and hunt for wild berries. Does that count? Seeing the sun rise while sitting in a tree stand freezing my butt off just sounds so unappealing. Props to you for having the energy though!
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Personally, I don't have the ability/urge to get up early enough to hunt, but we do raise our own steers and have them humanely butchered. I also garden and hunt for wild berries. Does that count? Seeing the sun rise while sitting in a tree stand freezing my butt off just sounds so unappealing. Props to you for having the energy though!

its not always a freezing your nuggets off situation. :) can be but also can be just a freaking gorgeous day. :)
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

its not always a freezing your nuggets off situation. :) can be but also can be just a freaking gorgeous day. :)

Every time I go deer hunting, it's freezing. I'll go fishing in the summer. I'll sit in a duck blind in early fall, just please no tree stands in November.

This is more my style. Pick which one looks tasty and take it in. lol 15yssxj.jpg
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Didn't see much Saturday. One doe. And some bear sign, dad was bear hunting.
    Sunday 4 does. Lots more bear sign and quite a bit of elk sign.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Ffr57 wrote: »
    What beautiful country! where is this? I am from the New England area and hunt mostly Maine and New Hampshire. sometimes you can go several days without seeing a deer. You need a lot of patience in this part of the country. Heading out the week of Nov. 7.

Northern Arizona, USA. I can go from Sonoran desert to alpine mountains within a few hours. Perfect diversity of country for me.

• T0M_K
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    Didn't see much Saturday. One doe. And some bear sign, dad was bear hunting.
    Sunday 4 does. Lots more bear sign and quite a bit of elk sign.

oh no hunting in PA on sundays. :/ we saw deer near the treestands lol. suckers!
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    BackwoodsDarlin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Did you guys know that Bass Pro is buying Cabela's for $5.5 Billion?
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

Yup. Not sure how I feel about this yet.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Yup. Not sure how I feel about this yet.

I guess we won't really know until we see what changes are made
  • T0M_K
    Options
    *crickets* this thread has been quiet.

So...funny story! not.

I had a really nice/heavy-ish rack 8 point about 10 yards from my tree the other evening...an hour before dark eating white oak acorns. he was with 4 or 5 turkeys. Probably a 3 1/2 year old deer. such a cool event!!!!

soo..he turns a little offering me a completely broadside shot.....and of course.....i shoot.....and there is this "bang" weird sound. He jumps startled and freezes.......the turkeys trot off...and he turns and 90 seconds or so later just trots out of view. i couldn't get reloaded.

I think what in the heck! I never saw my arrow leave my bow..using lumenoks ...i assume i hit a little branch that was infront of me and my heart sank.

so i go in the next day with my son and we're looking around....he says hey..here is your arrow....sticking in the ground right below my tree in some brush.....the broad-head not even penetrating the ground. My nok was shattered. when i shot the nok exploded sending the arrow crashing to the ground and not illuminating of course.

the upside...he's out there growing bigger and not wounded. I guess i have that :) its not always about the kill!

this is a great time to be in the woods.

btw this is the second buck, the first one i posted a picture earlier in this thread that i let walk cuz he was a youngster.

Last night we had a small buck coming in with a couple does but it got dark. Great stand this year.!

• Former_chubby_momma
    Former_chubby_momma Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I legit have no idea why I clicked this thread since I'm a vegan. But tbh I have way more respect for the way you consume meat. At least it contributes to conservation and keeps wildlife populations in check (you know, and those animals live a cruelty free life). Also, I'm all for any activity that supports my 2nd amendment rights. The more people who are armed, the better. So, you keep doing you lol.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm a lapsed hunter. Every year I think I should get back into it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet! I do fish still - hoping to get some walleye fillets for the table this weekend!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    My 8 yr old nephew just took his first buck during the youth shotgun season in southern IL. 5pt at 34 yards with a 20ga slug gun. So proud of our newest hunter!
  • T0M_K
    Options
    My 8 yr old nephew just took his first buck during the youth shotgun season in southern IL. 5pt at 34 yards with a 20ga slug gun. So proud of our newest hunter!

Nice! Our youth mentor hunt is next Thur through Sat in PA. Rifles however for youth. Muzzleloader for adults.
  • Owlie45
    Options
    My mother's friend contacted her the other day asking about the property down the road from us. I guess they went scouting there and saw 3 nice bucks. They wanted to get permission to hunt there. So we had to break it to them that it's city limits so thats a no go. But I was quite offended that she want to kill our babies. We have several that one glance we know who it is and that weve named.That we've watched grow up from spazy fawns to *kitten* hole bucks that try and gore any other deer that get close them. Plus they make great guinea pigs.
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options
    I legit have no idea why I clicked this thread since I'm a vegan. But tbh I have way more respect for the way you consume meat. At least it contributes to conservation and keeps wildlife populations in check (you know, and those animals live a cruelty free life). Also, I'm all for any activity that supports my 2nd amendment rights. The more people who are armed, the better. So, you keep doing you lol.

Thank you for understanding and your support!
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options
    I'm a lapsed hunter. Every year I think I should get back into it, but haven't pulled the trigger yet! I do fish still - hoping to get some walleye fillets for the table this weekend!

Good luck on the walleye.. I'm rootin' for ya! :smile:
  • BackwoodsDarlin
    Options

Congrats to your nephew! Can't wait to take my 20 mos old twin nieces. They already have their rifles LOL And I've had them playing with live worms for the fishing side LOL
  • Owlie45
    Options
    My dads co-workers son got his first deer. . . Its a beautiful white deer.