Am I the only one who can’t stick with LCHF? – anyone else tried but couldn’t do it?

2»

Replies

• Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    OP, what does "low carb" mean to you?

My macros are set to 30% carb, 50% fat and 20% protein. It's not very low carb but that ends up being about 100-120 grams daily. It's pretty moderate and I enjoy it. I couldn't cut carbs lower than 25% because, quite frankly, I enjoy them and won't go lower than that unless I need to medically.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    I low carbed for a long time, but I missed certain foods like oats and potatoes and popcorn too much. I didn't find it sustainable. I also was growing less happy eating meat, I have texture issues with it and don't really like it all that much. Additionally, I never experienced that satiety effects of eating low carb that many people report.

Also, for me personally, I was using the diet as a scapegoat. At the time, I still hadn't fully accepted responsibility for my weight issues and was blaming carbohydrates for all of my problems with food. If only I could avoid them, I'd be fixed. That's a problem waiting to happen, sort of like putting a band aid on a gaping wound.

It took a few more years and a few more pounds for me to come around. I find it better for me personally to eat foods I like that keep my feeling full within my calorie allowance.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If LCHF does not work for you for weight loss there are thousands/millions of other options.
    I lost my weight via 40c/30/30
    I maintained for a couple of years via 40c/30/30 and
    I continue to maintain now (6 months) via a ketogenic diet (5c/20p/75f) for a neurological movement disorder. It is working to minimize the involuntary movements of my Spasmodic Torticollis aka Cervical Dystonia.

I have experienced the side benefit of satiation so weight maintenance is easier for me on keto. Keto has helped me identify the bad habit I had of eating for the sake of eating versus eating to satisfy hunger.

As @nvmomketo mentioned, I too find social functions easy. Meat/cheese/vegetables are staples on most menus/appetizer spreads.

Find a way of eating that works for you for weight loss and one that you are able to maintain throughout your life. It's OK that LCHF does not work for you. We're all individuals.

Might be cultural, but when starch is the base of most social dishes it really is hard. It would be impractical trying to pick crabs out of pasta, a casserole, a soup or a sauce. It's also feels uncomfortable when most low carb things are basically things that go on top of rice, so you shy away from taking a larger portion than you would to top your rice so there would be enough for everyone. Even when there are perfectly appropriate low carb options, it's just awkward to watch others down all the delicious stuff while you gnaw on that single note so-so food. It doesn't feel any better than sitting in a corner chewing on dressing-less salad on a low fat diet.

That's why personal preferences and circumstances are very important to the choice of a successful diet. Social situations might be easy for some on any given diet, but hard for others.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Tried Atkins back in the day, counting only carbs and not calories. I found it easy to still overeat (I'm in Wisconsin, I can pack away sausage and cheese like nobody's business) and I found myself greatly missing the variety of my previous diet. Not surprisingly it was very unsuccessful.

Calorie counting has let me lose about 140 lb so far. I no longer care about carbs either way.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    edited October 2016
    I've had great success with it midterm 6 months to a year. I have never had success long term. I ended up having to ditch it because it just wasn't sustainable forever for me. The key is not following a specific diet but rather finding for yourself a way of eating that allows to eat a diet you enjoy and can live with long term but also allows you to meet your health and fitness goals.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    If you cannot stick to it for the long run, find something that you can stick to. LCHF isn't necessary for weight loss.

You don't have to make this harder than it has to be for you.
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    I was mostly interested to see whether others have found it hard to stick to as well - because its seems that people seem to find it so easy do. So reassuring to hear other stories too.
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    When you say low carb, how much are you doing a day? 5 grams? 100 grams?
    Around 30g / day give or take a bit - which I consider very low (although I know some go lower).

Agree it's a matter of trying to find something that I can stick to though - Although I've done it easily enough in the past, now I struggle to stick with just a lower calorie diet so was looking at this to get a better handle on some of the cravings I have when I reduce calories. I think I'll modify things a bit more and will add in more carbs - I was getting caught up with 'must get fat adapted' mentality, but the reality is it's a middle ground I need to find, and eating some of hte foods I love needs to be included in that middle ground - just need a more moderated approach about it.
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I got nice results from LCHF but love root veggies like potatoes and starches like lentils, peas, and lima beans (etc). I tried keto for about a month but it was too strict.

I currently eat very low carb for lunch and a 30/40/30 dinner. I don't have cravings with this balance like I did when i was eating 50/30/20. So I did learn some things through the process.
    This is a great suggestion.

• Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    I definitely can not hack it. Restricting carbs for that long leads me straight to binge town.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited October 2016
    imtriagain wrote: »
    Everywhere I read, people seem to find LCHF so easy and have great success with it.

I’ve been LCHF for about 3 weeks and I’m very close to calling it quits. I’ve tried it a couple of times before, and can’t stick to it for very long.

Despite varying the food I eat, menus and recipes, I’m getting sick of the food. I miss the foods I used to eat, and I’m finding it hard socially and around family –choosing the options that are low carb, but not the ones that are really satisfying me.

Although wanting to lose some weight, the main reason I’m doing this is to get a handle on my tendency to binge on carbs/sugar. I’m not feeling full like everyone seems to experience and find myself overeating fatty foods. Or nuts.

I’m trying to keep a handle on my calories as well – I’m eating over what I should be eating, and not surprisingly have not lost weight.

I have been pretty strict low carb, and know there’s the adjustment period, but have really hit a ‘do I really want to do this’ moment today.

Would love to hear of anyone else who’s gone through a similar thing – did you push through and start enjoying it, or did you give up and feel better for it?

In the past I’ve mostly been a ‘everything in moderation’ and found calorie reduction works best for me – the problem is that I’ve started to find that hard to stick to without binging.

You weren't reading a scientific sampling of everyone who has tried LCHF - you're just getting those for whom it works and not those who have tried and discovered it wasn't for them :)

Re your binging, what was your daily calorie deficit or weekly weight loss goal and how many pounds did you want to lose at that time? An overly aggressive calorie deficit often leads to binging.

When I do the following, I don't have cravings:

1. Get sufficient sleep
    2. Exercise regularly - when I get the happy hormones from exercise, I'm not prone to seeking them from food.
    3. Get sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. I'm not low carb, but reducing carbs and upping protein worked for cravings for me. See also http://www.nutrition.org.uk/healthyliving/fuller/understanding-satiety-feeling-full-after-a-meal.html
    4. Eat moderate amounts of fruit. This makes me less interested in higher calorie sweets.
    5. Take a magnesium supplement. This can be especially helpful for women premenstrually.
    6. Save foods like chocolate for after dinner, in small amounts
    7. Stay hydrated
    8. Have a calorie deficit that is appropriate for the amount of weight I need to lose. An overly aggressive goal can definitely lead to cravings.
    9. Eat at maintenance when my appetite goes up premenstrually.
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Sorry to hear you are struggling with LCHF. I started in January and have lost 100 pounds. I also have been watching cals. I eat 1500 per day and try to stay under 20gr of carbs. I have done no exercise. I always stay under my cals, i dont always stay under carb goal but i am never over 50 or so. I am never hungry and never have cravings. I dont know what you are eating for cals. I will be honest sometimes I have a cheat meal or a cheat snack but never a cheat day. Dont know what you are reading or using to help you. Check out dietdoctor.com
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I could stick to it for 11 months

Then got fat again

Then 4 months

Then got fat agin

Then 6 weeks, 3 weeks, dagnammit why can I not do it, 4 weeks

Each time...crashed and burned

I much much prefer eating all the foods and watching my calories

Happy, at goal weight, stable weight
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    I tried low carb years ago. It did terrible things for my skin and I gained weight quickly because I am perfectly happy to eat lots of meat and cheese, just like @rankinsect experienced.

I have to count total calories. My appetite just lies to me.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I've been doing lchf successfully for over three years. I love it. But it's certainly not for everyone. You tried I and found that it wasn't sustainable for you. No shame in moving on to something else that might work better for you! I wish I had recognized that calorie counting wasn't sustainable for me... I wasted two decades struggling with that before I finally tried low carb. So good on you for recognizing it and acting on it! I don't believe people "fail" at diets, I believe diets fail people. Find the right one for you, and you almost can't help but succeed.
  • lzap27
    lzap27 Posts: 31 Member
    I do around 100 carbs a day. Like other posters, I haven't eliminated carbs, just reduced them. I stay away from sugar as much as possible. I personally save my carbs for dinner since I cook for my family and don't want to make two different dinners. Occasionally we have pasta. I also keep my calories in check. I bought a scale and saw I was eating way more meat than I should have calorie-wise. I am consistently losing weight doing this.
  • lzap27
    lzap27 Posts: 31 Member
    Also I have tried the super low carb and just couldn't sustain it like other posters. You know sometimes I want to have some ice cream with my kids or a slice of pizza on a Friday night :)
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    edited October 2016
    I do LCHF and is one of the people who finds it easy. Low carbing is not for everyone. You need to find a way of eating that suits you.

Personally I have no issues at social gatherings or eating out. I love meat and fish and apart from ice cream I don't really miss much foods. My appetite has reduced, I look forward to my meals, so for me this way of eating works. It will not work for everyone. You need to find a way to eat that you can stick with long term.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I'm sure that essentially eliminating an entire macro-nutrient isn't for a lot of people...probably not for most people. There are a million different ways to go...
  • imtriagain
    imtriagain Posts: 104 Member
    lzap27 wrote: »
    I do around 100 carbs a day. Like other posters, I haven't eliminated carbs, just reduced them. I stay away from sugar as much as possible. I personally save my carbs for dinner since I cook for my family and don't want to make two different dinners. Occasionally we have pasta. I also keep my calories in check. I bought a scale and saw I was eating way more meat than I should have calorie-wise. I am consistently losing weight doing this.

This is a great approach.