looking for low carb substitues for potatos.

Options
I've done mashed cauliflower, and mash butternut squash. Anyone have any othe sugesstions for substitutes?

Replies

• tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Any reason why you can not eat potatoes or just looking for other options? Rice and Quinoa would be my other two suggestions.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I really like mashed rutabaga, although it's slightly higher carb than cauliflower. The thing about rutabaga is that it takes quite a while to cook if you're not using a pressure cooker.

Have you looked at other winter squash, like kabocha, buttercup, or sphaghetti?
  • back2happy2005
    back2happy2005 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have not tired this yet but read a recipe for stew that called for radishes. It said once the radishes cook in the broth they have a potato consistency. I have wanted to give this a try but have not had the chance yet.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I have not tired this yet but read a recipe for stew that called for radishes. It said once the radishes cook in the broth they have a potato consistency. I have wanted to give this a try but have not had the chance yet.

I roast radishes and the finished result is a bit more "watery" than a roasted potato, but is reminiscent of potatoes.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I have seen turnips subbed for potatoes - the white and purple ones, about the size of a baseball (Go Jays!) and even parsnips.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've tried cooking jicama in the oven but it was still crunchy. This recipe says the secret is to cook them in a little water in the microwave for 15 minutes before they go into the oven:

http://healthyrecipesblogs.com/2014/06/18/jicama-fries/

Jicama does have a texture similar to potato, and a bland taste.
  • leologan42
    leologan42 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

I roast radishes and the finished result is a bit more "watery" than a roasted potato, but is reminiscent of potatoes.

Do the radishes lose there horseradish like bite when roasted.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you need a replacement? Maybe skip the potatoes and just eat other foods.

However, I like other root veg (carrots, parsnips, turnips, rutabaga, etc.) roasted and they add that kind of starchy feel to a plate if you don't have a potato/sweet potato. I use them instead if I want to save a few calories sometimes, or just because they are good. I just don't think of them as a potato replacement. (I've never tried cooking radishes because I love them so raw.)

The veg I mentioned are good (alone or in combination) mashed too, if you are looking for something to mash. (I am usually too lazy to bother, but I also like my potatoes roasted more than mashed usually.)

Winter squash would work too, either roasted or mashed. Again, not really like a potato at all (more like a sweet potato), but it can serve that role on a plate.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I hate the idea of eating so low carb that you can't eat potatoes. Subs are never going to hit the spot. Just eat smaller portions, and not for every meal. Calories is king, so you have to eat proper portions anyway. Yes, this was totally unsolicited and I hope it helps.
  • leologan42
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm subbing them out for now because I'm still in full lose mode and have a pretty strict carb number. Substituting is just a way to fool myself a bit. Once I get to a maintain level, potatoes are back on the menu for sure.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    leologan42 wrote: »
    I'm subbing them out for now because I'm still in full lose mode and have a pretty strict carb number. Substituting is just a way to fool myself a bit. Once I get to a maintain level, potatoes are back on the menu for sure.

Low carb isn't really a requirement for weight loss (I am moderate-high and still losing), but.... the roasted radish might work. Celeriac and swedes may, too.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Roasted radishes do lose the bite, yes.

Celariac is also lovely.

Turnips are quite good roasted too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I love celeriac.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Turnips are good. Sweet potatoes depending how low carb you go otherwise the cauliflower works bedt
  • Angelcat714
    Angelcat714 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Quinoa! Supposedly, it's the only complete protein grain.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice :)
  • leologan42
    Options
    I've heard of that. What is it exactly? Is it just breaking down the cauliflower to a rice size?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I hate the idea of eating so low carb that you can't eat potatoes. Subs are never going to hit the spot. Just eat smaller portions, and not for every meal. Calories is king, so you have to eat proper portions anyway. Yes, this was totally unsolicited and I hope it helps.

Ya, eating about 25% less potatoes, rice, pasta, etc. works great for me.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    leologan42 wrote: »
    I've heard of that. What is it exactly? Is it just breaking down the cauliflower to a rice size?

Here's a recipe (which I have not tried) http://allrecipes.com/recipe/238987/paleo-cauliflower-rice/

The reviewers say it's bland, and added onion, etc.