October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Ok Strava peeps, question! How do you upload a photo to your run? I like how people post a photo of their run, but I don't know how to do it! Lol. Unless it's something that's only available for the premium membership?

I take my photos using my regular phone camera then post them by selecting "Add a photo" on the run summary (like a couple posts above).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    So we had a fire drill at work. Elevators out. Walking down the stairs was not an issue. But then after the all-clear there were hundreds of people waiting to use the elevators back up. So I took the stairs. Nine flights. I figured I had the aerobic capacity for it. And while I did not get out of breath, those stairs made my legs HURT. Hmm... maybe I should hit the stairs more often? Obviously my leg muscles are not what I thought they were.

Your legs will look like @AdrianChr92 ! I miss stairs. I miss running. I miss walking.... Lol!

I have hot dog legs. I'll come walk those stairs with you.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Ok Strava peeps, question! How do you upload a photo to your run? I like how people post a photo of their run, but I don't know how to do it! Lol. Unless it's something that's only available for the premium membership?

It's not a premium feature. I can't tell you how to do it from a PC but mobile I can.

After you complete your activity, it'll be "ready to view".
    [/URL]

From here you just select add photo and it pulls from your files. You can also close the lock, to prevent sharing that activity if needed.

Hope this helps. I'm sure someone more fluent in Strava can add information needed.

Thank you! I only just downloaded the app, so haven't seen how Garmin syncs to Strava through the app yet, lol, which would explain why I haven't seen that option. Gonna test it out on my lunch run today
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    So we had a fire drill at work. Elevators out. Walking down the stairs was not an issue. But then after the all-clear there were hundreds of people waiting to use the elevators back up. So I took the stairs. Nine flights. I figured I had the aerobic capacity for it. And while I did not get out of breath, those stairs made my legs HURT. Hmm... maybe I should hit the stairs more often? Obviously my leg muscles are not what I thought they were.

I can go run 12 miles no prob, but stairs always kill me, lol. Maybe I should add them into my cross-training too
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    My Garmin just died and my charger cord is 200 miles away..... :/

Oh no! :open_mouth:

I once left my charger at my desk at work over the weekend. I don't have a way to get in my building after hours and on weekends. I ended up borrowing a charger from a friend to charge it before my long run. He had a slightly different watch so the charger didn't exactly fit perfectly. So I had to put a book over on top of it to hold it in place. But it charged my watch.

• Stoshew71
    Options

Actually, I always take the stairs for this reason. I only have to go up a couple of flights, but I will go up 3 or 4x a day (sometimes more if I forgot something at my desk or out in the car).
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    October is off to a horrible start. Bad calf knot/strain that has slowed me way down. Managed 5 total miles for the month so far and my left calf is still very angry at me for running this morning. 1.5 weeks until my ultra and this is not helping me feel confident about it. Oh well, if it comes down to it I'll just wrap my calf and deal with the pain, it will give me something to think about during the 60+ miles.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Stairs do the same to me! And I have no place to do stairs. I know of a trail with a set of 100 stairs about an hour away..... One day!
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

Odd, but I'm the complete opposite, I would be completely out of breath and sweaty, but the legs would be fine. Huh...
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)
    2: 6.01 miles (long with 5 x 1/4 mile zone 3 intervals)
    3: 3.00 miles (recovery)
    4: 3.72 miles (tempo)

exercise.png

Upcoming Race: Oct 23rd Vancouver Rock n Roll Half-Marathon
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Congrats on your new Garmin! That's a beauty.

I just splurged on the 735XT and love it. It's turquoise and navy, so it's pretty in a sporty way, but not as pretty as yours. https://rei.com/product/109353/garmin-forerunner-735xt-heart-rate-monitor-watch

My last one was much older and they have switched many of the buttons to the opposite side. I keep accidentally pressing the lap key during the run or thinking I've pressed start, when I haven't lol But I suppose figuring it out is part of the fun.
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    NicoleL874 wrote: »
    That being said, running and eating is definitely a chore now. I'm lucky if I get 1000 calories most days (restricted as to how much I can take in at once), and know I need to up it greatly at this point if I want to continue to run and build muscle instead of tearing it down. So it's an interesting juggling act!

Wow, that does sound like a challenge. Congratulations on your weight loss. Welcome!
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    Options

exercise.png

10/1: 13.1 Miles: 1st Half Marathon Race!! / Yoga
    10/2: 4.5 Miles (Very Slow…) / Yoga
    10/3: 3 Miles…Feeling much better 

2016 Races Completed:
    Buffalo Boogie (5K) May 7 – 23:42
    Marine Creek Trailhead Trot (5K) May 14 – 22:00
    Joe’s Run (10K) June 4 – 48:04
    Firecracker 5000 (5K) July 4 – 22:51
    XTERRA Jurassic Trail Run (15K at Night) July 16 – 1:32:05
    Clark Gardens I’m Only Half Crazy Half Marathon/5K (HM) Oct 1 – 1:48:21

Upcoming Races:
    Turkey Trot – Appleton, WI (5 Miles) Nov 24
    BMW Dallas Marathon (HM) Dec 11
    Cowtown Marathon (Full) Feb 26

@MNLittleFinn ... I left my Garmin Charger at a hotel within the 1st few days of a 10 day road trip. I didn't realize it until my Garmin was close to dieing in Glacier National Park. Although I wasn't running up there, I wanted to look at my hike data. There is no cell service in Glacier and internet service is poor at best. So, once I got back into civilization, I contacted the hotels, but no one turned it in. I just ordered another so it would be waiting on my when I got home. I totally forgot I could have used Map My Fitness or Strava while outside the internet until my last hike in Glacier National Park, where we saw a 300+ lb black bear on the trail. It was rough, and I sure missed my watch.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I loathe stairs! I have 3 flights of stairs to get out of the parking lot and to my building (take stairs out of the parking lot and onto a pedestrian bridge that goes over the RR tracks, then downhill to the building entrance), then two escalators (there are no stairs available on the ground and plaza levels of my building)--which I walk up and down. But, from there, I take the elevator. I'm on the 15th floor, which really wouldn't be too bad if the stairs were normal sized. But they're the "I'm trying to escape from a skyscraper in a panic, so I'll just fall down these instead of walking" kind of stairs--steep and narrow. Actually, they're much better to go up than to go down, to be honest. But going up does make my quads burn fiercely!

Was going to run today, but I seem to have overstretched my left oblique and hip in yesterday's strength class. The instructor had us doing these things where you stand with your legs apart, then put one arm overhead and bend to the side, reaching the other hand down toward your foot--only bending at the waist and bending the knee of the leg you're reaching for. Puts a lot of stretch on the top/opposite side... The muscles are feeling much better today than they were last night, so I think one day of rest should put me back on track.

Goal progress:
    Running miles: 11/100
    Strength training: 1/12
    Food logging: 3/31
    Weight loss: 0.2/10 (finally a positive number!)
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Also...I think my FitBit is about to bite the dust. The band is tearing away where it attaches to the face/unit with screws. FitBit does not sell replacement bands for this model, so I may be in the market for a new watch. Unfortunately, that's not in my budget right now. I've found a few after market options, with no or not-so-good ratings on Amazon, that I might try. Better to waste $10 trying than throw away a $250 watch because of a *kitten* design flaw. Really annoyed because the watch itself still works great and looks new...it's just the band that is a POS, but they consider the whole thing to be a "unit" and don't make replacement parts for it. And it's out of warranty, since I've had it for about 18 months. Grrr...
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    10/1 20 miles - 20
    10/2 REST DAY
    10/3 8.1 miles - 28.1
    10/3 5 miles - 33.1 << Daily Double
    10/4 9 miles - 42.1
    10/4 5 miles - 47.1 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Also...I think my FitBit is about to bite the dust. The band is tearing away where it attaches to the face/unit with screws.

Have you tried contacting Fitbit? They have a pretty liberal replacement policy. I've had my Charge replaced FIVE times! I think I've pushed it all I can though.

As frequently as my Fitbits have died, I think I'm going to get a Garmin Vivosmart HR when this last Fitbit bites it.

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom and @7lenny7 I will parrot Lenny's comment " You raised a smart daughter! "
    I am sure others will have commented along the same lines. For the Love of Running Skip could run with the Local Club ( Community/Sport Store etc ) not associated to the College/Uni that she attends. @kristinegift said it best with her experience.

The Full Ride Sport scholarship might be good Financially but there is a big Social/Emotional Cost that goes with it.
    It's close to 35 yrs. since I completed my Education. Had a chance at a Ice Hockey Full Ride and have no regrets about not doing it. I had a great experience and have life long friends from those years.
    Of all the guys who were on the team the only one still in hockey is the coach who I believe is now an NHL Assistant Coach in Vancouver. So many of the players Failed courses ( to much Hockey ) - Got Injured and lost the full ride because of these issues and were not financially/emotionally prepared to continue their Education.
  • Calimama123
    Calimama123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go for 60