Females Using Protein Powder to Lose Weight!

Options
13»

Replies

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I doubt protein powder causes weight loss unless you are using it as a meal replacement which is really just eating less food. Personally I have never found a protein powder that I could choke down. All the artificial sweeteners they put in these things just make me want to gag.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

SezxyStef wrote: »
    Chadxx wrote: »
    http://m.ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2016/01/26/ajcn.115.119339.abstract

I wouldn't say it does nothing. Typically, protein is digested more slowly than carbs and fats which helps control your blood sugar and as a result, your appetite. It also helps preserve or even build muscle while on a calorie deficit. Aside from helping you look better, increased muscle mass burns more calories.

I agree that it is only a suppliment and not some magic weight loss powder or something you should base your diet on but it absolutely does have benefits.

There's not muscle building without resistance training....and beyond newbie gains, there is not going to be much muscle building in a deficit.
    The only benefits it really has is increasing protein in your diet.

The only time a protein shake fills me up is if I add lots of fiber and a decent amount of fat.

1- Of course you have to work the muscle for it to grow.

2- Most people trying to lose a lot of weight are newbies and there is a big difference between not much and absolutely cannot. Also, not everyone's body responds the same and not all caloric deficits are the same. To simply tell people that they cannot build muscle unless they are gaining weight is ignorant and does them a disservice.

no most people trying to lose are not newbies...
    unless you are one of the things I mentioned above you cannot build muscle in a deficit.
    a caloric deficit is a deficit regardless of it's size.

you are doing people a disservice.
    Agreed. I am lifting and eating at a deficit. The only gains I am seeing are newbie gains because:
    a: I started lifting when obese
    b: I am new to heavy lifting

I also know that the increase of size of my muscle is mostly due to water retention, not extra muscle beyond newbie gains.

Disservice. :laugh:

Read below.

I wouldn't say it does nothing. Typically, protein is digested more slowly than carbs and fats which helps control your blood sugar and as a result, your appetite. It also helps preserve or even build muscle while on a calorie deficit. Aside from helping you look better, increased muscle mass burns more calories.

I agree that it is only a suppliment and not some magic weight loss powder or something you should base your diet on but it absolutely does have benefits.

Appetite and satiety are issues that I believe can be controlled by the individual so won't comment on that.

Yes protein is great at preserving muscle alongside sufficient stimulus (weight training etc) however you cannot build muscle in a deficit without the addition of drugs/hormones.

To add; you don't need a protein shakes if you can hit your protein goal from real food. This is for people who struggle to meet their requirements!

You absolutely can build muscle while in a calorie deficit. People do it all the time. I have done it in the past and I am doing now. In fact, I have been doing it on a large calorie deficit and I have never touched PED's in my life. Having a calorie deficit does not mean your body isn't getting the calories it needs. It simply means your body must pull those calories from it's stored fat which is the whole purpose of stored fat.

wow just wow.

There are a few times in a persons life when they can build muscle while in a deficit.

Being obese
    being new to lifting
    being a young man full of piss and vinegar...

those are the times and yes lots are obese now...and yes lots are new to lifting but to say people do it all the time is not a fact...

having a large calorie deficit unless you are obese will not lead to muscle gain...you can gain strength but don't confuse that with muscle building...two different things.

for example me...female, in a deficit, lifting...heavy lifting...I am not building any muscle at all...period.

• petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    The "protein" shake I use is spiru-tein because it's not whey (which I cant' have) and it's not gross. I use it for after working out. even with almond milk it's barely over 120 calories. 150 max depend on flavor. It's helpful to meet a protein goal, and fix that after workout 'OMG I'M HUNGRY' thing. Then I still eat regular food later.
    If I have protein shakes when I'm not working out I feel gross. Everyone is different!

My workmate likes the Vega protein one. She has trouble with a lot of foods giving her headaches.
    Just try stuff, pay attention to how it makes you feel and keep goig!! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

There's not muscle building without resistance training....and beyond newbie gains, there is not going to be much muscle building in a deficit.
    The only benefits it really has is increasing protein in your diet.

The only time a protein shake fills me up is if I add lots of fiber and a decent amount of fat.

1- Of course you have to work the muscle for it to grow.

2- Most people trying to lose a lot of weight are newbies and there is a big difference between not much and absolutely cannot. Also, not everyone's body responds the same and not all caloric deficits are the same. To simply tell people that they cannot build muscle unless they are gaining weight is ignorant and does them a disservice.

no most people trying to lose are not newbies...
    unless you are one of the things I mentioned above you cannot build muscle in a deficit.
    a caloric deficit is a deficit regardless of it's size.

you are doing people a disservice.

Not, I am being honest. The earlier post said "you cannot build muscle in a deficit without the addition of drugs/hormones." I said that isn't true. Your post above admits that it isn't true. Also, I said people trying to lose a "lot of weight" and those people generally are newbies. Also, I never said everyone in a calorie deficit "will" build muscle. I said it can be done and it can. I said lots of people have done it. Lots have. If the muscle gets what it needs it can grow.

Is it easier to build muscle with a surplus of calories? Of course it is but saying it is an absolute requirement for muscle growth simply isn't true. We aren't talking about bodybuilding here. This is from my original post. "It also helps preserve or even build muscle while on a calorie deficit." I am not exactly endorsing calorie deficits as a way to build muscle.

unless you are currently obese I do not believe you are currently building muscle if you are in a deficit...

your posts make it sound like it's an everyday occurrence when in fact it is not....it is not easy to build muscle and even when you are one of the groups I mentioned earlier the muscle build are measured in oz not lbs.

Protein doesn't help build muscle without the lifting and your post could be read as saying you don't need to lift.

Preserving even requires some lifting and a decent level of deficit because if the deficit is too steep regardless of lifting and protein you will lose muscle.

that is why you are doing people a disservice.

be specific in your posts, ensure they can't be read in multiple ways or mislead in anyway....

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Protein powder helps me meet my protein goals without eating way too much fat or carbs. I use unsweetened soy or pea protein, and make it into pancakes, which are delicious, and very filling.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I think it wouldn't be that wierd to "use" protein powder for weight loss in the sense that protein powder (depending on the type) has a high amount of protein to carb or fat which generally means it is very satiating to the number of calories it contains. Adding a protein shake to your day can leave you feeling more full by the end of that day than had you eaten a similar number of calories of something else.

That said that is very personal and subjective. There is nothing magical about protein powder, it is just a source of protein. Give it a try. Have a protein powder shake and record the number of calories and see if adding that in place of something else helps you feel more satisfied with your current calorie goal.

That said the main reason to use protein powder is if you struggle getting enough protein in your diet. It isn't really meant to be a substitute for actual food as there isn't going to be much value in terms of micronutrients or fiber relative to whole foods.

As for you being female I don't really think gender has any influence on it. Only reason protein powder might be associated more with men is because men likely have higher protein requirements as protein requirement has a lot to do with lean muscle mass or whether you are trying to build muscle. But there is nothing "masculine" about protein powder.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I guess agreeing that lifting is required and stating that "of course" you have to work the muscle for it to grow wasn't specific enough and suggested lifting isn't necesary.

I am currently obese and was a lot more so when I first got back in the gym. As of today, it has been only 12 weeks. I am down over 60 pounds(yes, that is a huge deficit) and not only am I a lot stronger but my arms are noticeably bigger. No, these aren't typical results and yes, I am currently reducing that deficit as my body fat drops. I also eat ZERO junk food, zero fried foods, etc. I eat lean meats, eggs, fruits, veggies, and some grains. I lift heavy and I lift to failure. I also take protein post workout. I have seen plenty of people lose weight and build strength at the same time. You certainly won't build it as fast as bulking but it isn't impossible, especially with higher body fat or lower deficits.

I am not saying anything about improving yourself is easy but to tell people something cannot be done when it can is just making excuses for them. I have made enough excuses over the years already.

Now, all that said, I again will restate my original post.

"It also helps preserve or even build muscle while on a calorie deficit."

This is a true statement. Nothing about it says or suggests you don't need to lift weights. It doesn't say building muscle with any number of calories is easy. We all know it requires work. Notice the use of the word even in that statement. I merely stated that it helps to have more protein in your system. Then, the negativity crew showed up telling people they don't know what they cannot do.

They can keep saying what can't be done. Meanwhile, I will keep adding weight to the bar while watching my waistline shrink.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Appetite and satiety are issues that I believe can be controlled by the individual so won't comment on that.

Yes protein is great at preserving muscle alongside sufficient stimulus (weight training etc) however you cannot build muscle in a deficit without the addition of drugs/hormones.

To add; you don't need a protein shakes if you can hit your protein goal from real food. This is for people who struggle to meet their requirements!

You absolutely can build muscle while in a calorie deficit. People do it all the time. I have done it in the past and I am doing now. In fact, I have been doing it on a large calorie deficit and I have never touched PED's in my life. Having a calorie deficit does not mean your body isn't getting the calories it needs. It simply means your body must pull those calories from it's stored fat which is the whole purpose of stored fat.

Well done, you have broken the boundaries of biology and basic energy conservation.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,690 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Well done, you have broken the boundaries of biology and basic energy conservation.

http://muscleandstrengthpyramids.com/calorie-deficit-gain-weight/

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/gain-muscle-and-lose-fat-at-the-same-time/

http://muscleevo.net/calorie-deficit/

Female, 43yo, 99 days, -21.5lbs of fat, +9.3lbs lean mass:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ivy2PKgcqcUFRJbHJ6UWZKXzZJelVMYkpPcUc4a0RFalQ4/view?usp=sharing

That said, the generally catabolic state induced by a caloric deficit is obviously NOT the optimal setup for building muscle. But between non optimal and impossible there is a bit of room.