Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Donut post workout anyone???

Options
124»

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Is it advantageous to consume high glycemic carbs after a workout... yes. Is it good to consume them with at the same time with fats, no. Donuts are high in both fats and carbs not only will your body preferentially select the carbs for energy and store the fat. It will dull the amount of spike the sugars and grain will give you

The "don't mix fats with carbs" myth has been debunked already.
    https://web.archive.org/web/20080927015435/http://avidityfitness.net/2008/09/24/carbs-and-fat-friends-after-all/
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »
    (interesting theory part snipped for length, and to cherry pick)

I drink a Tang (yes, Tang, basically sugar), whey, and creatine (also best absorbed with carbs) solution during and after my workouts. If you are going to have a doughnut, just after a workout would probably be the best time. Search the internet for 'carb timing' and you will get a wealth of chatter about it.

Eww. Thanks for giving me another reason not to be a bodybuilder . . . life is waaaay too short to be eating evil-tasting *cute-tiny-baby-feline-critter* like that.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    edwardetr wrote: »
    (interesting theory part snipped for length, and to cherry pick)

I drink a Tang (yes, Tang, basically sugar), whey, and creatine (also best absorbed with carbs) solution during and after my workouts. If you are going to have a doughnut, just after a workout would probably be the best time. Search the internet for 'carb timing' and you will get a wealth of chatter about it.

Eww. Thanks for giving me another reason not to be a bodybuilder . . . life is waaaay too short to be eating evil-tasting *cute-tiny-baby-feline-critter* like that.

Thankfully, bodybuilding requires no tang in real life.
  • samastill
    samastill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    A drink with simple sugars and protein straight after training and you're onto a winner...
    A donut can't hurt either
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Think I ate my last doughnut about 5 years ago or more. No appeal to me at all.

I haven 't eating any in almost 40 years. I win! They don't appeal to me either, and in my book there are better carbs choices to eat after a workout.

I had lasagna last night after my workout :dizzy:

I worked at a DD as a teenager and was off donuts for decades afterwards, but have recently rediscovered the joys of Boston Creams. They are completely empty calories for me as they provide no satiety whatsoever, so are difficult to work in.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I mostly don't care about donuts enough to find them worth the calories, but they have apple cider donuts at my green market this time of year, so may have to get one on Saturday. I will have to run before, to make it a post-workout!

It's funny, I had a number of friends who worked at DD and Baskin-Robbins, as well as this fro-yo place, in high school and they all were off the particular treat for ages afterwards. I worked in a plant store mostly, with some time as an office assistant, so no food aversions resulted, sigh. ;-)
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Wow! Didn't know that was a thing!

There's an awesome donut shop in my area called Hurts Donuts. I sometimes stop by for a splurge on long run day. I call them my 10 mile donuts because that's how long I need to run to earn one!
    LOL love that!

• Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Donuts must be of the devil hahahahaha
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes, please. Ill take two. Or three. Thank you.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm I wouldn't mind a donut as a pre workout.. I have been having len and larrys cookies this week.. GAWD has anyone had them?! lemon poppyseed is the best
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Put me down for a dozen. Donuts or cinnabons are my go to pre Bench meal.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Make mine toasted coconut.