Really, REALLY tired - Getting into Lifting Heavy

Options
2»

Replies

• jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Maybe experiment with upping your calories? I sleep like a baby now that I lift heavy its great!
  • sevenofnine01
    sevenofnine01 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    On a separate note, make sure you're lifting with proper form. You should be sore from a good workout, but you definitely shouldn't be in pain.

10-4. So far so good. I'm lifting with my partner. He's been doing the gym thing for years, and knows what he's doing. I get why people stress form so much now that I've actually started with the weights. It would be so easy to pull a muscle with the wrong movements....

And to everyone suggesting upping my calories, I will keep that in mind. I'm going to give what I'm doing a little more time (see if it's just a noob thing), and if the fatigue hasn't improved I'll start experimenting.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I find that any particularly taxing day will just drain me. Nothing crazy, just an extra cup or two of coffee and I'm good.

Most of my teammates find the same thing. One of them today was pretty funny. His training day placed a very heavy load on his nervous system (a massive pr on his shirted bench and then some heavy holds), and he was just wandering around the gym looking a little like a lost puppy after.
  • Guitarman1994
    Guitarman1994 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You're gonna need a lot of rest and the right supplements. Make sure you are getting the right amount of amino and vitamins bc lifting heavy depletes you.
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Happy lovely Sunday evening all!

Anyone else finding themselves (or who have found themselves way back when they first started) really, really tired?

I've just started getting into lifting heavy weights for the first time in my life (Total Cardio Bunny/Yoga lover here), and I find that a 30-minute session of weight lifting tuckers me out way more than a 30 minute run would. Not so much immediately after, but down the line.

I also find I'm tired all day long now. Like - full body, "I need a hot bath with Epsom salts" tired, not so much "sleepy" tired. It's very different from soreness.

Is that normal when you're first starting? I'm about a month in (this is essentially what I'm doing), and I'm exhausted just sitting here typing.

I'm by no means going to give up, but it's bumming me out a bit. I'm normally SUCH a get-up-and-go person....going about my day feeling burnt out isn't really motivating.

I don't think it's diet - I'm at a doctor-approved intake of 1500/day.....

Maybe I'm just looking to commiserate. Hah! Either way, if you have anything to add, please share!

I have found that doing HITT cardio has helped with my weight training. I have more energy and I recover faster between sets.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Protein levels?
  • Rururiri
    Rururiri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Did you mention to your doctor about your new weightlifting program? Did you tell him/her how you feel tired and fatigued afterwards? What type of foods are you eating to fuel your workouts. Is it a high quality meal or low quality? Anyway, you should update your doctor about how you feel after weight training maybe he/she might bump up your calorie intake to improve your energy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough to fuel your workout?

I think so. I ran it all past my GP and he said it's all good. And truthfully, my "heavy" isn't REAL heavy. I'm fairly weak.

If I had to tweak my diet, how much would I have to up my calories? does it take a lot or would an extra 150 be enough?

GP's generally don't know *kitten* about this sort of thing honestly.
    Secondly- heavy isn't a weight.

Heavy is a rep range- and it's very specific to YOU and where you are in YOUR training.
    Never apologize for the weight you move.

You're in there lifting with a purpose- and you can't do more than 8 reps- then that *kitten* is heavy.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    he was just wandering around the gym looking a little like a lost puppy after.

it's bad when you find yourself doing that in the grocery store. everything is so edible, but you're just kind of dazed and shambling around looking at it.

always makes me laugh too when i see someone deadlifting and they have to pause between reps to yawn. i've had that come over me now and then too.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    he was just wandering around the gym looking a little like a lost puppy after.

it's bad when you find yourself doing that in the grocery store. everything is so edible, but you're just kind of dazed and shambling around looking at it.

always makes me laugh too when i see someone deadlifting and they have to pause between reps to yawn. i've had that come over me now and then too.

The funniest is when a number of us are all peaking for the same competition and we have all hit overreached. A gym full of lost puppies is funny in retrospect even if we are questioning our sanity in the moment.
  • MikeyM1982
    MikeyM1982 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Maybe hitting it heavy after such a long time off is too much on your body. I've started back training but gone light and building up for a few months and still get muscle sore even though I know I can lift much more...