Can you eat too much protein?

I've seen varying threads. I'm 165 lbs. I was 170 4 weeks ago and have been busting my *kitten* 6 days a week with a personal trainer and eating a clean 1000-1200 calorie diet that's made largely up of lean protein. I don't feel like I'm making the progress I should and am worried I'm "bulking" due to the high protein. Any tips?

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    1) You're not bulking on 1000-1200 calories. To bulk, you have to be in a caloric surplus. You're actually in an unreasonably large deficit, so if anything you're losing muscle mass.

2) One *can* eat too much protein, but it would be at ridiculously inhumanly high levels. I wouldn't even start worrying about it until you're surpassing maybe 400-500g/day.

This. You're not making desired progress because you're not consuming enough calories.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    I've seen varying threads. I'm 165 lbs. I was 170 4 weeks ago and have been busting my *kitten* 6 days a week with a personal trainer and eating a clean 1000-1200 calorie diet that's made largely up of lean protein. I don't feel like I'm making the progress I should and am worried I'm "bulking" due to the high protein. Any tips?

How could you be bulking if you actually lost weight?
  • carolionlyons
    carolionlyons Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks for the responses all. I feel much more informed. I guess I just feel like while my legs feel like they are getting stronger and more toned, they don't seem like they are getting smaller, and they used to be a lot smaller. My conditioning is getting better and I'm able to do cardio longer. I'm lifting weights and giving 110% with my trainer and without, both working out and nutritionally.

Mind you I used to be 110 and at the highest was 175. At a little under 5feet, clearly this is unhealthy. I know I've made progress on the scale, I guess I'm just being impatient with the process and I appreciate all your words to get me back into the mind frame of little by little, one day at a time.

On a side note, any diet tips are appreciated. Grilled chicken is getting boring.

Thanks again MFP community.
  • carolionlyons
    Also as a side note I believe my nutrition log is viewable. Constructive criticism and feedback is encouraged.
  • jenluvs2sing
    jenluvs2sing Posts: 50 Member
    Here's a question, are you subtracting your exercise calories from calories ingested? Is that 1200 calories before or after exercise? Remember your net calories has to be above a threshold amount or your body goes into starvation mode. More than likely you're not eating enough.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    So....nope
  • carolionlyons
    I think I changed settings so it's public. Please let me know. And no, I don't count calorie burn into my calories consumed.
  • carolionlyons
    You are using tons of "homemade" recipe entries. Unless you have created those entries, you have no idea what's in those things or how accurate they are. Frankly, based on the calorie counts, accuracy looks pretty suspect. You are better off creating your own recipes or logging the components. (ex, you could either make your own recipe for tuna salad, or log one can of tuna salad, two tbsp of mayo, one stalk of celery).

You would be even better off using a food scale to weigh your portions. You have logged a half tbsp of almond butter. If you were to place the jar on a food scale, zero it, and weigh what you scoop out, you dirty no further dishes and have a more accurate serving (most people who start weighing food on here are especially surprised at how little nut butter you get for a serving). Bananas, salmon, quinoa, same thing.

Now, right now you're losing anyway because you've set your goal so low, but you are in fact eating more than you think. If you improve your accuracy, you will have more power to know when and how to make adjustments if it stops working.

That's really good advice. Totally was sort of an anomaly since I went out to lunch (I typically always bring). You're right, I've been eyeballing most things but I do weigh out my chicken or guesstimate based on the serving size I normally eat and how big/small the breast is, but you can't beat total accuracy.

In regards to setting my goal so low- do you think my daily 1,270 calorie setting is too low? I'm honestly not hungry after eating my meals because they are more nutritious than anything I'm used to.

I really appreciate your response.
  • carolionlyons
    Today*
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    For endurance athletes the recommended range is 1.4 g to 1.7 g per kilogram of body weight per day. If you're eating in excesses of that whatever your body doesn't use for fuel will be stored as fat or will come out in your urine.
  • Guitarman1994
    Guitarman1994 Posts: 45 Member
    Can't eat too much protein. Your body will only absorb 30 grams at one sitting anyway. So anything past that is not getting used. To gain muscle stay around 1.5 grams per pound of body weight daily. Just don't try and fit it all in one meal bc it won't do any good. Stagger it out through the day!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Can't eat too much protein. Your body will only absorb 30 grams at one sitting anyway. So anything past that is not getting used. To gain muscle stay around 1.5 grams per pound of body weight daily. Just don't try and fit it all in one meal bc it won't do any good. Stagger it out through the day!

That is completely incorrect. Here, Dr. Layne Norton (his speciality/doctorate is in protein synthesis, I believe) explains a number of myths regarding protein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member

I used to believe this BS too until I started eating 2 meals a day getting around 155 - 180 g of protein daily at 205 lbs. I gained muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    There is a point at which more protein ceases to provide any benefit...that point is different for someone who is sedentary vs an endurance athlete vs a strength athlete...at that point, you're just making really expensive fuel.

Here's a nice article and illustrative graph...

http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/the-myth-of-1glb-optimal-protein-intake-for-bodybuilders/
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Remember to keep protein in the right range (.8-1.2g per pound LBM).

Yes. Remember to keep it in the right range of .8-1.2 (sometimes 1.4)g per KILOGRAM.