Are bananas bad for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I've lost 83 lbs and eat a banana every single day. If you want it and it fits in your calorie goal, have at it!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    30 bananas a day is perfectly fine. "the one who shall remain nameless" eats 30 a day and is perfectly healthy, skinny and ohhhhhhhhhh sooooooooooo "normal" ;)

She must take some mondo dumps.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I'm mad at bananas. I don't like that they can be green and brown simultaneously resulting in an unripe yet bruised banana. Those bananas messed with me one too many times, not getting properly ripe.

Haha i love bananas, but mine have to be yellow with a tinge of green and no black spots!

Nope, two or three black spots and they are perfect. Wait another couple hours and not so much.

I don't like them when they get too sweet and mushy.

But if they then sit a few more days they are great for banana bread. Mmmmm...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    One of our Aussie cricket players, Peter Siddle, eats 15-20 bananas a day, he is active and over 6ft tall though and follows a vegan diet.

Yes this example of Peter Siddle has been raised on banana threads before. :)

I thought he just liked bananas, I didn't know he was a vegan.

Anyway, I like bananas and I lost weight and maintained goal weight, eating several bananas every week.
  • MarkusDarwath
    MarkusDarwath Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. Unfortunately I don't eat as many of them any more, as they are high in carbs and I have to keep mine low in order to maintain blood sugar. I can definitely still fit them in, but a large banana in the morning mostly cuts me off from other low-fiber carbs for the day if I'm to stay in ratio. Strictly in terms of weight loss, there's nothing wrong with them and they are quite nutritious.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I ate bananas almost daily while losing weight. I am now having half a banana daily in my morning coffee smoothies. It's all about total calorie intake . Don't blame any one food for your weight gain (or loss). I could eat a donut everyday and still lose weight if in a calorie deficit.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of half of banana. How does the other half stay good? I eat a banana for my morning snack pretty much every day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the concept of half of banana. How does the other half stay good? I eat a banana for my morning snack pretty much every day.

lol i was thinking the exact same thing. Why not just eat a whole banana??
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    Maybe posters share a banana with their partner ( why does that sound like a crude innuendo?? :o:D ) - I've done that sometimes and we have half each.

You can also freeze them - not sure how great they would taste thawed and eaten on their own, but fine for smoothies, cakes etc.
  • Madelinec117
    Madelinec117 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Don't know about others, but I freeze my half bananas individually so I can throw one half in a smoothie and no ice needed to make it creamy.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I love bananas. I eat one most days, either as a pre-gym snack, or with breakfast - on PB toast, on top of cereal, or in a protein shake. They aren't low calorie but they are delicious. If bananas were bad for weight loss/maintenance in of themselves, I would rather be a little bit heavier and still get to eat them. Luckily they don't seem to be as I've been chomping my way through them for ten years and have yet to regain the 30lbs I lost as a teenager, or die of any other banana-related health complaints.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Not bananas in particular, but if it fits within your plan then it can work. I was making 1-2 smoothies a day with fruits and vegetables as a meal replacement. I gained 3 pounds in one week. Come to find out I was over eating sugars from fruits and carbs which did cause me to gain weight. After I found out what my macro percentages were suppose to be and stuck to a maximum of 46 grams of sugar I followed them strictly and fat started melting off. I now only eat 0-2 servings of fruit a day.
    Sugars and carbs do t cause weight gain, excess calories do. I suspect you had some fluid retention.
    AliceAxe wrote: »
    bananas have potassium isnt that suppose to be good for muscle? I think they are good to lose wieght if you are using them for a desert instead of something junky.
    So called junk foods can still be incorporated into weight loss calorie counting, I did just this and lost 90lbs.

• markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    A banana a day, I lost 55 pounds like that.

Lucky you, you must not be sensitive to carbs.

Maybe, my DW ate a couple and lost 52 pounds. Maybe bananas or CICO(both did CICO too)? You decide.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited July 2016
    Options

Once they get a little overripe for my taste, I just freeze them. You can wrap a whole peeled banana in foil, freeze it, and then eat it as a frozen treat. I break them up and put half a frozen banana in my coffee smoothies. Or when I have several frozen bananas, I'll thaw them and make banana muffins.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »
    I'm mad at bananas. I don't like that they can be green and brown simultaneously resulting in an unripe yet bruised banana. Those bananas messed with me one too many times, not getting properly ripe.

That could be a matter of storage. I think they keep them refrigerated in the warehouse at work, so when we get them at the employee fitness center to give out to members, sometimes we'll get a whole case that's both green and oozy brown and we have to put out a broadcast for "bread-ready bananas" to other departments because otherwise they all go in the trash. The good news is they go pretty fast, and there's no shortage of banana baked goods.
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana 5 days a week with my coffee and I love every minute of it.

I was confused by the half of a banana thing too until I read the freeze the other half part.

I like my bananas green and crunchy! By the 5th day, they hardly have any of those evil brown yucky spots and I'm not going to the store every 2 days for fresh bananas.

All my life my mother has walked around saying "bananas are nature's candy bar." I now begrudgingly admit the woman is right.
  • elias1609
    elias1609 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I eat them, just as long as it fots into my calorie goal. Hasn't altered my weightloss
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

lol i was thinking the exact same thing. Why not just eat a whole banana??

I eat a whole banana if I'm slicing it on cereal, having a PB&B sandwich, or eating it straight from the peel (or with a little peanut butter). But if I'm putting it in a smoothies, like the poster the who said s/he used half a banana, I usually use about half a banana or a little more. I put lots of stuff in my smoothies, and there's no room (physically) for a whole banana.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hi i just wanted to know if bananas contribute to fat gain. Please answer if you can :)

No...
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have 1 a day with peanut butter spread on top. Good to weight them as they typically vary on the scale from 85 to 140 grams. I try to buy the small ones when possible because a 140g banana is quite a bit of sugar in one shot.