Tips from a Guy who dropped 180lbs

Options
JstTheWayIam
JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello Everyone,

My name is Jesse and I'm from the San Francisco Bay area. I'm a former member of the 1/3 ton club, tipped the scale at 336lb maybe more, not sure I think I maxed out the scale at some point... Lol.

Well I've been on a journey that started about 3yrs ago. Over the first 2yrs I lost 184lbs dropping to around 152lbs. At 6ft tall and somewhere below 8% body fat, I just didn't feel at my best. I was getting sick often and felt a bit frail. For the last year I've been focusing more heavily on weight training, still running every other day and now I'm up to about 179lbs maintaining my weight, and still trying to get bigger, leaner and stronger.

I've gone through many stages throughout my journey and have tried just about everything at one point or another. People often ask me, "what did you do?" To which I often reply, "everything." I have broken through so many plauteus on the way and have learned a great deal.

I've also read about 20 or 30 different self help books along the way in search of balance, diet and nutrition info, as well as exercise info.

If any of you have any questions for me about diet, weight loss, nutrition, or life in general... Please feel free to contact me via message, posting on my wall, or via this thread.

Also please add me to your friends list to see what I'm up to on a daily basis, I post all my workouts and motivational rants daily. Read my bio if you can and I have progress and other photos loaded on my page is well. I will also be starting a blog soon for lovers of a healthy lifestyle where I will post on a weeklyish basis.

Best wishes and lots of love,

Jesse

Replies

• AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Way to go Jesse!!!!
  • leann8939
    leann8939 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will gladly use you for your wealth of knowledge... thanks in advance!!
    This is the post I just put on the "introduce yourself" area:

New here to this app and these message boards.
    Looking at, like most of the people here, to lose some weight and get a little support along the way.

I hired a trainer to boost me at the gym, boy oh boy is that tough! But probably one of the better choices.
    As far as working out, I go to the gym 4-5 times a week for a moderate/hard workout.

He tells me to eat almost 2200 calories a day and I'm having a really hard time with it.
    I'm 50 years old, weigh 214
    I'm trying 6 small meals a day, but not ever meeting that goal.
    I understand the concept of speeding up my mobilization but my brain still tells me it's too much

If anyone could look over my food and offer suggestions, it would be appreciated

Breakfast : Egg white quiche (large cup cake size) with roasted peppers and turkey burger
    Coffee with almond milk (310 calories)

Snack 1 : Almond milk, protein powder, chia seeds, ground flax, greek yogurt.... all in smoothie (415 calories)

Lunch : 2 cups of greens (kale and spinach), dressing, bell peppers, avocado, whole baked chicken breast (460 calories)

Snack 2 : Aria protein in water with chia seeds (150 calories)

Dinner : 2 beef/kale tacos with green tomatillo salsa (517 calories)

I'm at a total of 1852 calories for the day
    47% protein
    32% fat
    21% carbs
  • leann8939
    leann8939 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me.
    I think he said I'd lose better with my calories up because of my workouts.

Completely agree with the protein powder! I'll look into the kind you mentioned and "Vega" which is plant based. I hate the flavor and they are loaded with crap.
    Salsa and tortillas are homemade so no secret crap and the almond/flax milks are unsweetened.
    Great idea about the coconut oil. I'll add some in somewhere.
    I guess I'm too full from all the water too!

I'm just 6 weeks in, so I'm sure my appetite will increase more with the million squats and rep after rep of weights.

Thanks again!
    Leann
  • jeffmarquez60
    jeffmarquez60 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me how how this works?ozzhx0qmb26z.png
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    This person has earned 2,788 calories logging their exercise (must have been something quite intense).

Calories In:1,977
    Calories Out: 2,788 + Daily allowance of 1,423 = 4,211

4,211 - 1,977 = 2,234
  • unnichaacko
    unnichaacko Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    akf2000 wrote: »
    This person has earned 2,788 calories logging their exercise (must have been something quite intense).

4,211 - 1,977 = 2,234

Honestly, I want to know what has he been doing to burn that amount. Must have been super vigorous and super long.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options

4,211 - 1,977 = 2,234

Honestly, I want to know what has he been doing to burn that amount. Must have been super vigorous and super long.

i have a hard time trusting my fitbit HR

for example, tues and thurs are big calorie burning days for me. i do 30 minutes cardio in the morning, weight lift, then regular walking around at work which usually puts me at about a deficit of 400. those night i play about 90 minutes of basketball and when i finish that up im at a 1300-1600 cal deficit.

some days i get upwards of about 1800-1900 calories burned which just seems ridiculous to me

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is motivation. I have chronic migraine headaches and can't workout or eat some days. When I do feel well enough to workout I have no motivation I want to workout but it seems that it's pointless because I can't do it consistently. Any advice?
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

4,211 - 1,977 = 2,234

I'd be looking at running a marathon for those numbers.
  • unnichaacko
    Options

4,211 - 1,977 = 2,234

i have a hard time trusting my fitbit HR

for example, tues and thurs are big calorie burning days for me. i do 30 minutes cardio in the morning, weight lift, then regular walking around at work which usually puts me at about a deficit of 400. those night i play about 90 minutes of basketball and when i finish that up im at a 1300-1600 cal deficit.

some days i get upwards of about 1800-1900 calories burned which just seems ridiculous to me

I train about 120-240 minutes a day depending on what type of training I have that day. I then swim for about 30 minutes, sometimes squeeze in a run for about 20-30 minutes at night and I burn about 1100-1400 calories. I think HRM with a chest strap gives somewhat accurate calorie burn than an activity tracker with HR.
  • unnichaacko
    Options

4,211 - 1,977 = 2,234

I'd be looking at running a marathon for those numbers.

Sounds about right.
  • unnichaacko
    Options
    Can someone explain to me how how this works?ozzhx0qmb26z.png

How I like to use mfp is like this, I enter weight and set my activity level to not very active /desk job, then I have it add all the extra calories from my fitbit, my job is pretty active so this way I know how many extra calories I'm burning compared to if I did nothing all day... This way I know pretty accurately what my total daily expenditures (calories burned) are and I meal plan on mfp the night before and shoot for just under maintenance, if I burn a thousand extra calories at work on my fitbit then I know I can eat a little more and maintain a deficit, hope that makes sense. I also set the goal to maintain weight, I like to watch my own deficit rather than use mfps preprogrammed deficit.

This is a good idea.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. I look forward to your motivational rants. :smile:
  • snerggly
    snerggly Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS JESSE!!! you inspired me ! :smile: