Stronglifts 5×5 workouts

Options
dws00
dws00 Posts: 159 Member
What is everyone's opinion's on the Stronglifts 5×5 workouts? Success stories or dislike opinions?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's a great beginner program (I've been doing it for but 4 months now and have gotten a lot stronger) the only "problem" I found with it (and it's not really problem it's because I'm primarily runner) was that I found squatting 3 x weekly didn't leave me enough recovery time when the runs were getting longer in the later stages of my training plan.

It's simple (2 workouts of 3 exercises) and effective.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to love it as a beginner progam but I found it extremely boring. Try it out and see what you think. It's free so you're not really risking anything.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like it. I ran it only twice a week because of my schedule. At some point I ended up adding some accessory lifts (glute bridge, good mornings, lunges with curls, plies with tricep extentions...) I agree that it is difficult to do a 3 day program and try to run a lot. My legs would feel very heavy the day after lifting. I also got to a point where increasing weight became very difficult, and I would have changed programs, but my goal was just to maintain. After some time off, I tried a bit of 4x10, but may transition to closer to 5x5 again soon.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm 49 and have been doing it for 5 months. I have lifted on and off previously for years and never gotten much stronger because I didn't know what I was doing. Today (specifically today --- pr-ed two lifts today) I am stronger than I have ever been (which is not saying much, but it's strong for me). I am a big fan.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    donaldws00 wrote: »
    What is everyone's opinion's on the Stronglifts 5×5 workouts? Success stories or dislike opinions?

I'm giving it a try, started yesterday. I'm primarily a runner and will probably use this program twice a week keeping to the alternating workouts the app. If anyone sees a problem with this, please chime in with your reasons.

Felt a little odd squatting and benching an empty bar, but everyone has to start somewhere. Those were easy, though. The 65 pound rows were a little more difficult but I got through them with not a whole lot of effort. I did supplement with assisted pull ups (I really want to get to ten pull ups, unassisted. Someday;-) ) and some core work. Day two is tomorrow, 5 mile run today.

We shall see.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    If you feel bored with SL5x5, check out Jason Blaha's Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. It's the same as stronglifts + accessory work. IMO both programs are great for beginners and those that don't want to write their own program, yet know that these programs produce results (like myself).

That being said, I'm currently starting up SL again. I've been a runner for the past few years so I've focused on that and also stayed with weight training, but hardly with a progressive overload. It was more of a random "do the major lifts a couple times a week" sort of thing, so I kept a decent amount of muscle. Just did the 1st workout on Monday with about 60% of my 1rm and it felt rather light, but I'm hoping to get a few good months out of it before switching to Cube Method or some other intermediate program.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    McCloud33 wrote: »
    I really like it and it got me into lifting. I've moved on to a more intermediate lifting program now, but used 5x5 for close to two years. That took me from literally never having lifted to having a 400+DL, 360+squat and 240+ Bench.
    sogyrq5l1qy2.jpg
    235 to 185 was just cardio
    185 to 182 was my first 12 week stint with SL5x5
    bulk up to 190
    cut down to 168

this whole process was around 16-17 months.

Awesome job!

OP SL like a lot of other people said is a great beginner program. I've never don't it myself, I did a variant of SS (did jumpstart training with a local pro powerlifter that made some alterations).

I'm partial to simpler programs, and functional lifts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    great beginner program to introduce one to compound movements and build a foundation of strength.
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it for 4 months and I really look forward to it (3x week). I have gotten stronger for sure. I have fractional plates to get me through to the next levels because I can't add as fast as the program says. That's ok, I'm still progressing.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    donaldws00 wrote: »

i started with it as an absolute raw newbie and really liked it. i have this perverse streak that kind of enjoys boredom though. after a year i went to 3x5, and then a few months after that i transitioned to wendler so sl is out of my life.

agree with the poster that it made her legs feel heavy. i bike commute 5/week when i'm working, and i found i could still do it without trouble. but it definitely felt like i had lost a little bit of muscle quickness after lifting. still strong, but more tortoise mode than hare.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SL is a good basic beginning program w/a lot of fans here on MFP but there's really nothing unique about it. Bill Starr's 5x5 and Mark Riopetoe's 3x5 Starting Strength both preceded it.

I used SL 3 years ago and made some significant gains w/it 3 yrs ago but then I got hurt trying to maintain 5x5 squatting.

Not blaming SL for my injury but at heavier weights (200+ for squats at only 160BW in my case) , it's really not prudent or necessary to go w/5x5. Strength gains can be achieved more safely w/3x5 or even 3x3, without the same risk of injury and failure as with 5x5.

Switched to Starting Strength 3x5 this time around and have already surpassed the gains I made w/SL b4 and am close to maxing out. Have already decided to switch to Wendlers 5/3/1 when I do, which should be soon.

So, if you decide to go w/SL, my suggestion is that when you start to fail, rather than deload, you should just switch to 3x5. When you get to heavier weights, I also recommend that you take as much rest ss you need to regain your strength, even 5-10 mins is not too long.

Doing so will increase your probability of success and reduce the likelihood of injury due to fatigue. This is what Rippetoe recommends in Starting Strength. Medhi advocates min rest in SL as though you're doing circuit training. I think Rippetoe's advice is wiser.
  • robdowns1300
    robdowns1300 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the program, following the app, exactly, since February. It absolutely works. ...However... I am now running into exactly what sgt1372 is saying above. My feet, ankles & knees cant keep up with the volume. I'm up to 225 - 5x5. I can lift it, the strength is not the problem, it just hurts. I'm sure I am over training the squats. On the other hand... I definitely have gained lots of muscle & strength. It does work. Listen to your body.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm starting my 3rd month on stronglifts. previously I've lifted on and off since high school but never really forced a progression or just didn't do lifts I didn't like like the bench press. Now I'm progressing although the heavier squats and running 3x per week has been tough. After mh half marathon I plan on buckling down and squating 300.
  • ladarius93
    ladarius93 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Cab 5x5's be done with dumbells or barbells and have the same effect?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    ladarius93 wrote: »
    Ca[n] 5x5's be done with dumbells or barbells and have the same effect?

No. All 5x5's are barbell programs.

You could use dumbells up to point doing BP, rows and OHP but they just won't work for squats and DLs.

Even w/BP, OHP and rows, there's a balance/strength issue lifting single arm and beyond 100#per arm you'll generally run out of dumbbells to use even if you're strong enough to lift them w/1 arm.

Best just to use barbells as intended for 5x5 or any other lifting program.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ladarius93 wrote: »
    Cab 5x5's be done with dumbells or barbells and have the same effect?

Yes, although you will have to adapt it somewhat. Sara made a good thread regarding this a while back: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It seems to be really popular, everyone I talk to knows about it or has tried it (except me). But 2 of my friends reported joint pain from the frequent squatting, though it could be bad technique on their part.