My mom is acting weird about my weightloss

So, I've been on MFP for about a month. I got on here because my doctor had told me that I would have some serious health issues down the line unless I got my weight under control. My mom was with me and agreed whole-heartedly with the doc, even including that I'd been overweight my whole life (not true) and that she'd tried to encourage me to lose weight (kind of true)

I've lost 18 lbs so far and I'm staying on track really well. But, now my mom keeps making snide remarks about it?

Like, the other night, I had a pretty carb-heavy dinner. I wasn't worried about it because I'd had a protein-heavy lunch and breakfast but she said I wasn't serious about losing weight if I ate carbs.

When I bought my food scale, she laughed at me and told me that it wouldn't help. According to her, 'dieting is about eating less and moving more, not math!' and she told me that I'd give up on using it before too long.

Then, last night, I was really hungry because I've had an additional 100 calorie deficit for the past few days (just didn't feel hungry) so I treated myself to an extra eggroll and a Yoplait chocolate mousse. She looks at me and says, "You ate all that Chinese food and now you're having chocolate? Hmph, guess it didn't take you long to fall off of the wagon," and then just smirked at me the whole time I was having dessert.

I keep explaining to her that I'm within my calorie limits, but she doesn't seem to believe me. I'm not going to let her comments stop me from losing weight, but I'm just not sure why she was all gung-ho about it at the beginning and now she's sniping at me for silly things. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Replies

• neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited October 2016
    Ugh. I'm so sorry. Family really has a way of making healthy changes harder than necessary sometimes. Ditto what everyone else has already said. Stay consistent and strong. I wouldn't bother explaining to her the math of calories anymore since she's not listening.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    I would tell her that I love her and it would be really wonderful if she stopped the negativity even if she can't give you loving encouragement.
    Tell her you researched how to lose effectively and healthfully and you're doing your best.
    You are doing beautifully! You will be one of the ones who accomplish what you set out to do.
    Remember, this behavior is not about you, but about her own issues.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Congratulations to you. Sounds like you get it.

I don't know why some people have to be like that, but there is a lot of misinformation out there. Even people with good intentions can give bad advice.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    Oh! Well, if she doesn't live with you she's lots easier to ignore. :lol:

Congrats on the pants!
  • mfezziwig359
    mfezziwig359 Posts: 21 Member
    I've been there, and it is frustrating, but my advice is similar to what everyone else has said - there is no point engaging with her. Just keep on doing what you're doing. It's possible she's doing this out of ignorance, and truly believes you can't lose weight if you're not torturing yourself with a very restrictive diet. If she's genuinely supportive, she may someday say she doesn't know how you did it, but she's glad you did.
    On the other hand, if your success is threatening her self-image in some way, she may try to undermine your efforts. If that occurs, you may need to put a little emotional distance between the two of you, and find your support elsewhere. (MFP is a great place for that!)
    Hopefully she's just demonstrating ignorance and insensitivity, and your success will overcome both. (And 18 pounds in one month is wildly successful!)
  • luvstheocean
    luvstheocean Posts: 191 Member
    @LenGray Your doing great.. keep it up! No matter what anybody says!
  • kiariv
    kiariv Posts: 25 Member
    Congrats on your success. I have a mother like yours. It is frustrating but imho the best thing you can do is continue to set the example of success, reach your goals and ignore all the negative outside noise. I am doing the same. I am a holistic health coach and all of my clients go through this to some extent. Its not easy but you have to use the bad and make it work for your good. Continue to be the success you are. God bless!
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    JSaus13 wrote: »
    I'm curious if you're mom too, is overweight. I have a mother that is very clingy, odd, jealous and competitive on certain things (i.e. she knows something before I do, I put on a sweater and she puts on a sweater, I order a meal and she orders the same). I'm just wondering if maybe she is noticing that things are working for you and she's having her own issues because you're doing it on your own. She's not helping and not an influence in your journey and that might bother her. Plus, "if" she is overweight, she's jealous because of your weight loss.

Yeah, she's overweight, as well. She's always been pretty competitive as to which one of us is prettier, which I don't really get, but I always wrote that off because she's a certified narcissist. It was getting so bad that she even got a tummy tuck+ boob job because I had a 'better' figure than she did. It's gotten better in the past few years, so I'd hoped we'd moved past this by now.

I'm still bigger than her so I guess the main thing I'm wondering is why would she be concerned enough to react negatively at this point?
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    edited October 2016
    Just because you have educated yourself and learnt how to lose weight in a healthy and life changing way, doesn't mean your mum is going to get it. Guarantee she believes in yoyo fad diets and I also bet she's not exactly on the normal bmi range either? Don't let her jealousy at you bettering yourself get you down babe, you're the smart one! My mum does the same to a point, she doesn't make any snide remarks she is very supportive BUT she still seems to think it was a "diet" and gets funny if I don't want to eat her cake or anything. Keep it up, you're smashing it xxxxx
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    It sounds like you're doing wonderfully. I would just ignore the comments. As long as you know you are within your limits it really doesn't matter what she says. I know it's hard especially when it is your mom.

Plus, you say she is also overweight. It could just be some subconscious jealousy that you're taking your life into your own hands and making changes. Unfortunately, along this journey not everyone will be supportive. If as you say she has had issues with you being "prettier" or better looking in the past I would just assume is jealousy. She may not consider you smaller than her now but she recognizes that you are making changes and if she doesn't you will be smaller than her soon.

Seriously do your best to ignore it.

I'm going to send you a friend request. I'll be your cheerleader!