Im desperate to lose 40 pounds

Options
My engagement is on December and im desperate to lose this much weight in a healthy way. I will appreciate your advices thsnks

Replies

• siraphine
    siraphine Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Start now, and be ready to accept that weight loss isn't cut and dry. It's hard, but it's simple. Log all your foods with 100% honesty even if you overeat, and eat at a deficit. You can lose weight without exercise simply by eating less. You will not be gaining lean muscle mass this way, and it isn't as efficient, but it's totally do-able. So if you can eat less alone (keep in mind that you can lose weight eating nothing but twinkies provided your caloric intake is appropriate -- "diet" foods are not necessary. I'm eating the things I like but less, and I am still losing) you will definitely be losing weight. Exercise can help as well. Start going for walks in the morning/evening. Even a little bit is better than nothing. You will not lose 40 pounds healthily in 2 months. But you WILL weigh less than you do right now, and can continue to get those 40 pounds off after December and be in shape before your wedding.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    40 lbs in two months is not realistic. You may hit 10 - 20 lbs, but especially with the stress of planning a wedding and the holidays, it will be tough. It isn't worth starving yourself only to wind up being unhealthy on your wedding day. Lose what you can, and if it doesn't happen, enjoy your day anyway. You will be beautiful in your dress either way.
    Congratulations!
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    40 pounds in 2 months is not realistic. It took me nearly a year to lose this much weight. Weigh and log everything and go from there. Weight loss is not linear.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    The only time I lost 40 pounds in two months is when I weighed 340 pounds. Unless you are very heavy, don't count on losing that much.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    My engagement is on December and im desperate to lose this much weight in a healthy way. I will appreciate your advices thsnks

You're starting too late to meet that goal. No worries - you have more time in your life than meeting a December deadline for a 40 pound weight loss. Expect a pound a week with excellent dedication, and commitment to taking care of your one and only body by eating at a deficit. You could stretch it to 2 pounds a week, but that is really difficult and you'll be exhausted.

Give yourself about 40 weeks to lose 40 pounds. Shoot for 10-15 of those pounds to come off between now and your "engagement". The rest will have to be reserved for 2017.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    This goal will just make you not enjoy your wedding and planning for it IMHO. Instead of a number how about a goal to eat whole, healthy food, hydrate, get some exercise? Count calories with MFP based a reasonable goal of .5-2 lbs a week and be happy during this fun time :)

• voluptuoso
    voluptuoso Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know I'm going to get slack for this, but I lost 35 pounds in two months recently (May & June of this year), so you can do it, or get close, depending on your body, diet and exercise regimen, and commitment. It is NOT FUN or easy. I'm now down about 60 pounds in five months, but it takes constant vigilance and an entirely new lifestyle. I'd be happy to run through my daily/weekly routine with you if you really want this.

I feel I need to point out that my original goal was two pounds/week, but I'm an intense person who tends to do everything to excess. The drastic loss was unexpected, but has kept my motivation high. This is not in any way for everyone, and no, I've not used any drugs, and yes, I eat several meals every day.
  • MeltingCookieMonster
    Options
    voluptuoso wrote: »
    I know I'm going to get slack for this, but I lost 35 pounds in two months recently (May & June of this year), so you can do it, or get close, depending on your body, diet and exercise regimen, and commitment. It is NOT FUN or easy. I'm now down about 60 pounds in five months, but it takes constant vigilance and an entirely new lifestyle. I'd be happy to run through my daily/weekly routine with you if you really want this.

I feel I need to point out that my original goal was two pounds/week, but I'm an intense person who tends to do everything to excess. The drastic loss was unexpected, but has kept my motivation high. This is not in any way for everyone, and no, I've not used any drugs, and yes, I eat several meals every day.

Yes, you're right it's not easy but im glad that you did it. I hope you maintain your weight and never lose your motivation. Thank you for your time to reply to my post. Have a nice day.
  • MeltingCookieMonster
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Whether or not that's possible, in a healthful manner or not, will depend on how overweight you are now and how close 40 pounds will get you to a healthy weight. Unless you are very overweight it is impossible to drop so much weight in such a short time. The math just doesn't work out.

You didn't say when in December so we'll split the difference and say mid-month which is 10 weeks from now. 40 pounds / 10 weeks means you're trying to lose an average of 4 pounds per week. It takes 3500 calories to equal a pound of fat lost or gained. That means you'd need to burn 2000 calories more than you're eating each day to lose 4 pounds per week (3500 calories x 4 pounds / 7 days = 2000 calories per day).

If you're an average-sized person you burn 2000 calories each day just living your average day. Most women actually burn less than that but I'll still use that for this example because it's easy. So 2000 calories per day burned = 2000 calories per day to lose 4 pounds per week. That means if you ate absolutely nothing for the next 10 weeks you might be able to lose 40 pounds. However, if you were eating nothing you'd have no energy to do the normal things you'd need to do to burn 2000 calories every day. So you can see that even eating absolutely no food for 10 weeks will not allow you to reach your goal. It's simply not possible and certainly not in the healthy way you say is your objective.

You'd be better off being thankful that your SO loves the person you are now, trying to lose 10 or 15 pounds between now and then and buying some Spanx if you're still feeling insecure about your looks.

It's on Christmas and you're right i should reconsider my goal and choose a healthy way to lose. Thank you for your reply and for your time.
  • MeltingCookieMonster
    Options
    duddysdad wrote: »
    The only time I lost 40 pounds in two months is when I weighed 340 pounds. Unless you are very heavy, don't count on losing that much.

I'm 154 pounds 157 cm height. Hope you are still maintaining to lose more or you already reached your goal. Good luck anyway and thanks for your reply.
  • MeltingCookieMonster
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    Be honest. Log everything. Buy a food a scale. Stick to your goals. Unless you are quite large you need to understand 40lbs in two months might not happen. But you will be lighter than today if you do it right.

Maybe it will happen but im sure i will gain more after Christmas. You're right i should change my goal. Thanks for your reply.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,420 Member
    Options
    so far i lost 18lbs & went down a whole clothes size
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose about 35 pounds in 2.5 months once, but I was in my 20s and it was the first time I ever tried dieting, and it was done in an extreme way that was too low calorie and not sustainable. When you lose weight that fast (if you even can) it just comes right back anyway.
    That's not to say you shouldn't try to lose weight, just that you should do it in a more effective & sustainable way, and then maintain the weight loss which can be just as much of a challenge. Have realistic expectations and an end goal of not a specific date, but rather the rest of your life.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Last summer, my neighbor lost 30 pounds in a short amount of time but she gained in back within 6 months. I'm losing much slower, but it's steady and I have no fear of bouncing back up.