Im desperate to lose 40 pounds

Options
2»

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Agreed. *nods*
    I'd like to add drinks with calories, too! Its interesting how some actually believe the food itself is to blame for weight gain and replace food with smoothies/soup/whatever beverage.
    SueInAz wrote: »
    Whether or not that's possible, in a healthful manner or not, will depend on how overweight you are now and how close 40 pounds will get you to a healthy weight. Unless you are very overweight it is impossible to drop so much weight in such a short time. The math just doesn't work out.

You didn't say when in December so we'll split the difference and say mid-month which is 10 weeks from now. 40 pounds / 10 weeks means you're trying to lose an average of 4 pounds per week. It takes 3500 calories to equal a pound of fat lost or gained. That means you'd need to burn 2000 calories more than you're eating each day to lose 4 pounds per week (3500 calories x 4 pounds / 7 days = 2000 calories per day).

If you're an average-sized person you burn 2000 calories each day just living your average day. Most women actually burn less than that but I'll still use that for this example because it's easy. So 2000 calories per day burned = 2000 calories per day to lose 4 pounds per week. That means if you ate absolutely nothing for the next 10 weeks you might be able to lose 40 pounds. However, if you were eating nothing you'd have no energy to do the normal things you'd need to do to burn 2000 calories every day. So you can see that even eating absolutely no food for 10 weeks will not allow you to reach your goal. It's simply not possible and certainly not in the healthy way you say is your objective.

You'd be better off being thankful that your SO loves the person you are now, trying to lose 10 or 15 pounds between now and then and buying some Spanx if you're still feeling insecure about your looks.

• malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm desperate to win 5 million dollars, and to win it in the most legal way. Any advice will help. =(

I think that the 'fastest' way is through keto, but for me - that's not really something I'd be able to keep up. I wish you would enjoy the day regardless of any extra weight. =)
  • MeltingCookieMonster
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »
    I'm desperate to win 5 million dollars, and to win it in the most legal way. Any advice will help. =(

I think that the 'fastest' way is through keto, but for me - that's not really something I'd be able to keep up. I wish you would enjoy the day regardless of any extra weight. =)

I wish you win 5 million dollars "in a legal way" hehe. That's the first time I hear about the keto diet, I'm gonna search for it and read about it. Anyway thanks for your reply. Enjoy your day :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I wish you win 5 million dollars "in a legal way" hehe. That's the first time I hear about the keto diet, I'm gonna search for it and read about it. Anyway thanks for your reply. Enjoy your day :)

Just be cautious if you decide to go that route or any other that significantly alters the way you typically eat. If you go back to eating the way you normally do after a diet of that type you're likely to gain the weight back.

Eat to lose weight the same way you normally eat or plan to eat, just eat fewer calories. Learn the amount of calories you'll need to eat to maintain your goal weight along the way and you're more likely to be successful over the long term.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

The only thing "faster" about a keto diet is the initial water weight loss from water/glycogen depletion. There is no "metabolic advantage" to a ketogenic diet and anybody who tells you there is doesn't understand the most basic tenets of physiology.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

I really don't think you'd ever win five million dollars by following a particular diet....