Would you say these are healthy snacks?

Options

Replies

• wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    wanzik wrote: »
    You can make your own granola fairly cheaply and easily. And then you could control what's in it.

I would say no on the Pringles... I'm guessing the salt content is high.

I don't know about the tuna salad but when I see "kit" I start to question that there may be additives in there that you'd rather avoid. Try making your own "kit" the evenings before from more basic ingredients.

None of this matters for weight loss and there is nothing inherently bad about pre-packaged granola, Pringles, or the tuna salad kits. If these foods are convenient for her and help her stick to her goals, great. Her snacks are perfectly fine in the context of an overall varied and balanced diet.

Healthy is subjective. Eat what you like within your calorie goals.

Exactly.

OP, your snacks look fine. Eat what you like. :smile:

She asked for opinions. I gave mine. Healthy IS subjective, as you agreed. While chips prepared foods might not be all bad, if your looking for "healthy" you'll avoid them.

I consider my diet to be healthy and I had chips yesterday.

So no...if I'm looking for "healthy", I will not avoid something like chips. I'll look at what else I've eaten or am planning to eat, and if they fit, and I want them, I will eat them.

If they fit... fit what? Your calorie count? That wasn't the question. Your "Healthy Meter?" What difference does it make what else is eaten during the day? That doesn't change the chips at all.

I'm going to eat a burger and fries tonight. Will it fit into my calorie count? Definitely. Will it be "healthy" definitely not. My choice. But I'm not going to delude myself into some B.S. justification just to make myself feel better.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Does it fill you up and help you meet your goals? Then it is fine.
    If you are low on protein or ate no vegetables all day maybe you'd want to alter your choices. You kind of have to look at your whole day.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    You can make your own granola fairly cheaply and easily. And then you could control what's in it.

I don't know about the tuna salad but when I see "kit" I start to question that there may be additives in there that you'd rather avoid. Try making your own "kit" the evenings before from more basic ingredients.

None of this matters for weight loss and there is nothing inherently bad about pre-packaged granola, Pringles, or the tuna salad kits. If these foods are convenient for her and help her stick to her goals, great. Her snacks are perfectly fine in the context of an overall varied and balanced diet.

Exactly.

She asked for opinions. I gave mine. Healthy IS subjective, as you agreed. While chips prepared foods might not be all bad, if your looking for "healthy" you'll avoid them.

So no...if I'm looking for "healthy", I will not avoid something like chips. I'll look at what else I've eaten or am planning to eat, and if they fit, and I want them, I will eat them.

If they fit... fit what? Your calorie count? That wasn't the question. Your "Healthy Meter?" What difference does it make what else is eaten during the day? That doesn't change the chips at all.

I'm going to eat a burger and fries tonight. Will it fit into my calorie count? Definitely. Will it be "healthy" definitely not. My choice. But I'm not going to delude myself into some B.S. justification just to make myself feel better.

What makes chips unhealthy? The calories of course. Potatoes are alright and oil is alright. The difference between chips and oven fried potatoes is that oven fried potatoes have less oil and more moisture making them more filling for the calories. What makes burger and fries unhealthy? Again, the calories. If you had steak, potatoes and bread you're basically eating the same ingredients, but burger and fries just have this weird stigma.

What is eaten during the day actually makes a lot of difference. Diets can be classified as healthy or unhealthy, but most foods can't carry that classification well because different people have different dietary needs and different circumstances. Jellybeans during a long endurance session are healthier than an avocado, for example (too much fiber and not enough carbs). You don't get extra credit for extra vitamins either. You would just pee many of the extra out anyway.
  • wanzik
    Options
    OP, does all this answer your question? LOL!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    ...I personally don't like to assign moral values to my food, and I feel like having a healthy relationship with food means recognizing the importance of context and dosage and being able to weigh the pros and cons of any food choice.

Context and dosage. A concept so often overlooked when discussing nutrition/diet.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    My new snack is a 100 calorie back of roasted edamame. I get the lightly salted version and I swear I like them better now than potato chips.
  • wanzik
    Options
    I should have specified, I guess, that I'm going to Burger King after work (in case that matters). Of course a double whopper with cheese is healthy!!!! And so are the deep fried french fries!!

Maybe if I made my own burger and my own bun with fresh ingredients it would be alright and if I baked my potato it would certainly be healthy-ER. But fast foods and prepared foods like chips are so over-processed that any healthy nutrients the food once had is destroyed and the things they add, like tons of sugar and salt, result in way to much for any diet to be called "healthy." And then we can get into what is added to those foods that they don't have to list in the ingredients or are covered by the description of "natural and artificial flavors and colors"... I guess if it has the word "natural" that must be "healthy." On the other hand... if it was it would be in big fonts on the front of the package.

I can agree with having a healthy relationship with food. Part of that healthy relationship is knowing that not everything we eat is "healthy..." in fact calling some things "food" at all can be questionable.

I can't think of anything else to add so I'll leave this to the experts to carry on. :smile:
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Healthy foods in my opinion are nutrient rich foods. Clean eating snacks are minimally processed so they keep their nutrition content. Theirs a lot of clean snacks such as your own granola bars or I like to roast chickpeas with garlic and Parmesan. Try to go organic for the products that are grown with large amounts of pesticides.
  • aamerine08
    aamerine08 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    OP, does all this answer your question? LOL!

LOL yes! I've got all the answers!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with them but the only one I'd personally eat is the tuna. The rest don't fit into my macros/calories/satiety nicely. Also, any food can be healthy within the context of a balanced diet.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    aamerine08 wrote: »
    I'm just getting started with eating right again, and I want to make sure I'm eating well. Seeing that I used to eat upwards of 3000 calories a day, I'm satisfied with eating with the range of 1600-1800 calories a day for the past few weeks. I'm not being so strict right now as I'm primarily focusing on developing the habit of even tracking my meals and sticking to a good range. My plan for myself is to eat 300 calories at breakfast, 400 at lunch, 500 for dinner, and 2 snacks throughout the day (between 100-200) calories each.

I work in an office so I really want to make sure I'm snacking right. I bought some snacks but I'm curious to see what you all think of the snacks I've been buying and would love to hear about what are some quick snacks you eat between meals:

1. Instant Oatmeal- 130 calories
    2. Granola bar- 90 to 150 depending on the bar
    3. 100 calorie pack almonds
    4. Piece of fruit
    5. Snack pack of Pringles- 100 calories
    6. Starkist tuna Salad kit- 200 calories

Let me know what you think!

Haven't had the Instant Oatmeal as a snack. Would more likely use that as a Breakfast item. I've had the others on your list except Pringles. The Starkist Tuna Salad kit is nice.

I also keep a few small tins of Del Monte 50 Cal fruits in the fridge at work. A few weeks ago I took in a few cups of yogurt. Now I have McVities Go Ahead bars.

Although I have this stuff available, I don't actually snack every day. And if I do, it isn't usually twice in the day.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I should have specified, I guess, that I'm going to Burger King after work (in case that matters). Of course a double whopper with cheese is healthy!!!! And so are the deep fried french fries!!

Maybe if I made my own burger and my own bun with fresh ingredients it would be alright and if I baked my potato it would certainly be healthy-ER. But fast foods and prepared foods like chips are so over-processed that any healthy nutrients the food once had is destroyed and the things they add, like tons of sugar and salt, result in way to much for any diet to be called "healthy." And then we can get into what is added to those foods that they don't have to list in the ingredients or are covered by the description of "natural and artificial flavors and colors"... I guess if it has the word "natural" that must be "healthy." On the other hand... if it was it would be in big fonts on the front of the package....

Think that delicious homemade burger would make that much difference?:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-fast-food-meal.html/

^ Great read. Fast food, in the proper context/dosage isn't as "poisonous" as the fearmongerers have led you to believe.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i love all the things you listed (except anything from the ocean yuck) but to me i want to make my snacks fill me up. I eat a lot of watermelon because of i can eat a lot of it for like no calories. or i will make a fluffnutter on one piece of bread.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i love all the things you listed (except anything from the ocean yuck) but to me i want to make my snacks fill me up. I eat a lot of watermelon because of i can eat a lot of it for like no calories. or i will make a fluffnutter on one piece of bread.

Lol fish shark ;) good user name choice I see
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

Lol fish shark ;) good user name choice I see

haha one of my dogs name is shark bait so i just name everything shark ha! I try so hard to like seafood.. jealous because it always looks so good.
  • aamerine08
    aamerine08 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

Exactly.

I have chips every.single.day. and I'm in fantastic health by every marker my doctor uses. I credit my good health to the chips :D

Haha!
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Mostly junk. I stick to fruit, nuts, hummus + carrot sticks mostly. Don't waste money one 100 calorie packs. Cheaper to potion out your own in containers.