Increasing calories helped--thanks!

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    As she said, if she was "eating more than she thought" at what she says was 1100 calories, wouldn't she still be eating even more at what she says is 1600?

Not necessarily. We don't know, for example that she's eating exactly the same foods. Maybe, at the lower calorie count, she used a "diet" bread that reported a lot less calories on the label than were actually in a slice. Stuff like that. And a higher goal makes many people less likely to subconsciously "cheat the count" by licking spoons, not log cooking spray, etc.

That said, I am very happy that the OP made this change and that she's seeing the results she was working hard for. Personally, I cannot imagine living on 1100 (or even 1200) calories/day. I am always amazed when people say they can live on so little.

I'm sorry, I don't see how some variance in bread slices (or just about any other food), could account for 1000 calories per day. If she's now losing a lb a week eating what she says is 500 calories more, but everyone claims she must have been eating more than she thought, wouldn't she have to have previously been 1000 calories off per day (eating 2100 calories instead of 1100)? I just got a food scale a week ago, and if anything I had previously been overestimating my calories, not underestimating. And seriously, a few grams off here and there? I've seen maybe about a 30 calorie difference over a range of items, nowhere near 1000. Besides, she feels better and has more energy--I think she MIGHT just be able to tell that she's actually eating more than before.

I generally hold to the CICO rule, but I think it's highly likely that other factors come into play with weight loss. Why can't people open their minds and listen to others' experiences? Learn from them, don't dismiss them.

More energy probably has the op burning more. Eating 500 calories more isn't going to magically cause you to lose weight if nothing else changes. It's mathematically impossible unless the weight is water, etc. I am still guess it's water as fluid retention is a pita.

Oh and I do have lots of experience with chronic undereating. I ate 500 a day for several months and exercised. Yes my metabolism slowed but I still lost over 2 lbs a week.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've seen maybe about a 30 calorie difference over a range of items, nowhere near 1000. Besides, she feels better and has more energy--I think she MIGHT just be able to tell that she's actually eating more than before.

Whereas, only weeks ago, a scale showed me that a bag was lying about the calories in its bread by 75 calories/slice (or 150 cals/"serving").

I currently feel better and have more energy than I did six months ago. I'm definitely eating less. But I'm eating *better*. I was only offering the general possibility that switching from a really restrictive diet (which might include a lot of "diet" foods) to a less restrictive diet (which, among other things, might include more healthy fats) could do that. I also think that some of the extra "deficit" has come from feeling better and increasing NEAT.

I am not saying that this specifically applies to the OP, but it could apply to other people in the same situation - which was why I thought it worth mentioning.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm familiar with how science works, my PhD is in Molecular Biology. The OP never said nothing else changed, nor did I imply that. The fact is that she is eating more and now losing weight, and she was simply thanking people for their suggestion to increase calories. Why does it matter WHY the increase helped? It could be loss of water weight, it could be increase in energy, it could be a boost in metabolism, or more likely all of these. But when I hear these stories, and read the responses in which people state that "it just doesn't work that way", and "you were eating more than you thought" (but magically now at 1600 calories her logging is spot on?!?) the implication is that the OP is ridiculously ignorant and completely unable to manage or understand any of the numbers, theories, or logistics of weight loss. And I don't think that gives these forums a very supportive feel.
    I'm familiar with how science works, my PhD is in Molecular Biology. The OP never said nothing else changed, nor did I imply that. The fact is that she is eating more and now losing weight, and she was simply thanking people for their suggestion to increase calories. Why does it matter WHY the increase helped? It could be loss of water weight, it could be increase in energy, it could be a boost in metabolism, or more likely all of these. But when I hear these stories, and read the responses in which people state that "it just doesn't work that way", and "you were eating more than you thought" (but magically now at 1600 calories her logging is spot on?!?) the implication is that the OP is ridiculously ignorant and completely unable to manage or understand any of the numbers, theories, or logistics of weight loss. And I don't think that gives these forums a very supportive feel.

Could it be that you are missing the point? People are saying that your weight loss doesn't stall at 1100 calories, then start up again when you up your calories by 400/500 calories. The OP indicated that it was the increase in calories that caused the weight loss, which is scientifically impossible.

An increase in calories CAN cause weight loss, by any of the reasons stated above (water loss, increased NEAT, etc). Have you read about the Minnesota Starvation Experiment? Once the half-starved men had their calories increased again (under a controlled environment), many continued to lose weight. During the starvation period, any time they had a "refeed" they also lost weight. Likely water weight, but weight nonetheless. So when someone says they've lost weight from increasing calories, I don't care if it's water loss or weight loss due to increased calories out (NEAT), they've still lost weight.

Water weight matters as much as the weight of the clothes you wear. It has nothing to do with energetic tissue in your body. Which you should know as a biologist.
  • kimotwo2
    kimotwo2 Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hello OP! It sounds like we've been having similar issues.
    I lost 70 pounds over 9 months almost 2 years ago and then over the course of a year I gained most of that back when I fell into a period of major depression. But a little over a month ago I decided to start losing weight again.
    The first 2 weeks I lost about 10 pounds. The next week I lost about 2 more. It was about this time that I started really counting calories and exercising 5 times a week. Before then I had just been eating healthier(I was probably eating around 1700 or so a day) and exercising 3 times a week.
    So 2 weeks ago I began counting calories (I have a food scale and I am great about measuring) and eating around 1400 calories a day. I also upped my workouts to 5 times a week,burning between 500 to 600 calories per workout. Now according to CICO I should have been losing a good amount the past 2 weeks yes?
    But I haven't lost a single pound, not for 2 weeks. Someone who weighs as much as I do (260) shouldn't be hitting a plateau so early on. I even bought a new scale because I was convinced my scale was broken. I have been flabbergasted trying to figure it out.
    I've been searching around on here and on other open forums out there and it seems like this is actually a common problem. Now I'm not an expert and I don't know exactkt why this happens. But it seems like if you work out too much and also diet extensively, it is possible to not lose any weight.
    But now that I think about it, when I lost 70 pounds over 9 months almost 2 years ago, I started out only exercising once or twice a week and very gradually increased to 5 times a week exercising and I never experienced this issue then. I'm going to try something similar to what the OP did and I'm going to increase my calories to 1500 and decrease my workouts to 3 times a week for a while. And I'm confident that will restart my weight loss.
    Yes I know it makes no sense, but I'm sure some one smarter than me could probably explain this phenomenon. There's more to weight loss than CICO.

(Edit: I should also mention that I have not been eating back my exercise calories, truly just eating 1400 a day)
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are experiencing troubles but are afraid to post because they see how others are treated and are not believed.

That you believe you somehow defy the laws of CICO does not automatically make it true, though.

I do not believe I deny the "laws of CICO".