Low carb diet question!

Options
KarlyHK
KarlyHK Posts: 114 Member
So I've been pretty good on my low carb diet. I know that MFP doesn't separate bad carbs and food carbs in the carb nutrient section.

That being said here is my question.
What are net carbs vs carbs? Sometimes I buy the Atkins frozen dinner when I'm in a pinch and it'll say 14g net carbs. But 33 carbs total.
Is it saying that 14 carbs are bad and the rest are good carbs? I should know this by now but I don't. Lol

Please don't tell me that "low carb doesn't matter. Calories do."
I'm doing what my body responds to.
Thank you.

Replies

• merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure they subtract fiber from the 33 to get the net carbs.
    If I was to guess that meal has 19g fiber. Seems high though
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Carbs - fiber = net carbs
  • jmarie1025
    jmarie1025 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    And yes calories do matter. You must be in a deficit to lose weight. Low carb is a great way to do that. Consider joining the low carb group.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • merchantmarine
    merchantmarine Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    5th day of keto diet, so far so good
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    jmarie1025 wrote: »
    And yes calories do matter. You must be in a deficit to lose weight. Low carb is a great way to do that. Consider joining the low carb group.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    Yep, even if you're doing low carb, high carb, or any diet... it all boils down to calories. I've personally done both low and high carb. With low carb, it is so easy to go over calories with high fat.

• KarlyHK
    Options
    jmarie1025 wrote: »

Yep, even if you're doing low carb, high carb, or any diet... it all boils down to calories. I've personally done both low and high carb. With low carb, it is so easy to go over calories with high fat.

I know calories are important. I just meant don't say "don't do low carb, just watch calories".
    Last time I asked a question so many people responded that way ha
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of variations, though pretty much everyone agrees to remove fiber from total carbs as shown earlier. The part that is most disputed is sugar alcohols. Quest bars, for example, label their protein bars with "net carbs" on the front based on exclusion of all sugar alcohols. Some will not deduct any sugar alcohols.

Personally, I am a type 1 diabetic so I dose insulin boluses based on net carbs - that is, the carbs that will actually get digested and converted to glucose (and then either used or stored as glycogen or fat). As a result, I have a lot more insight into net carbs because I've seen tens of thousands of times how carbs actually are digested.

So there is no disagreement on removing fiber, but sugar alcohols have legitimate debate. Not all sugar alcohols are the same, but I find that I usually end up pretty accurate using the following formula for net carbs:

Total carbs - fiber - (0.5 X sugar alcohols) = net carbs

**This is based upon U.S. nutrition label standards.
  • KarlyHK
    Options
    There are a couple of variations, though pretty much everyone agrees to remove fiber from total carbs as shown earlier. The part that is most disputed is sugar alcohols. Quest bars, for example, label their protein bars with "net carbs" on the front based on exclusion of all sugar alcohols. Some will not deduct any sugar alcohols.

Personally, I am a type 1 diabetic so I dose insulin boluses based on net carbs - that is, the carbs that will actually get digested and converted to glucose (and then either used or stored as glycogen or fat). As a result, I have a lot more insight into net carbs because I've seen tens of thousands of times how carbs actually are digested.

So there is no disagreement on removing fiber, but sugar alcohols have legitimate debate. Not all sugar alcohols are the same, but I find that I usually end up pretty accurate using the following formula for net carbs:

This is really helpful! I feel like I've neglected myself now because I would avoid apples and some other foods because it's high in "carbs". But not all of the carbs in apples are bad cause some are fiber right?

I should have asked this a long time ago!
    I wish MFP wouldn't count fiber as a carb on its nutrient calculator.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    KarlyHK wrote: »

This is really helpful! I feel like I've neglected myself now because I would avoid apples and some other foods because it's high in "carbs". But not all of the carbs in apples are bad cause some are fiber right?

I should have asked this a long time ago!
    I wish MFP wouldn't count fiber as a carb on its nutrient calculator.

Apples are still high carb because of the fructose.
  • KarlyHK
    Options
    Then I guess it's ok I stayed away from them! Ha
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

It depends on your goals and why you are trying to stay low carb. If you are trying to reduce BG spikes (yes, even non-diabetics have BG spikes after carbs), then you can minimize spikes by consuming fat along with the apple. Peanuts are high in fat, so you can eat peanuts right before eating the apple to reduce BG spikes.

However, a single apple is about the same carbs as your Atkins meal with 14g net carbs (depending on each individual apple, of course... a food scale helps). You didn't give the other macros included in the Atkins meal, but I can be almost certain that it contains fat and protein. This is not true with your apple, so the apple will cause a sharper BG spike than the Atkins meal even with the same amount of carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    If you want to use net carbs, the Low Carber Daily has instructions in the Launch Pad on how to set yourself up with net carbs instead of total carbs.

I just go with total carbs and assume that at least half of it is from fibre since my carbs mostly come from veggies and nuts.

And the very low carbers (like Atkins Induction phase) who want apple will eat it, but they may not eat the entire apple or they choose a very small one (golf ball sized). Low carbers with 100-150 total carbs can make room for an apple if they really want it. Those with blood glucose issues may think twice about the apple.... It's a personal choice.
  • KarlyHK
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    If you want to use net carbs, the Low Carber Daily has instructions in the Launch Pad on how to set yourself up with net carbs instead of total carbs.

I just go with total carbs and assume that at least half of it is from fibre since my carbs mostly come from veggies and nuts.

And the very low carbers (like Atkins Induction phase) who want apple will eat it, but they may not eat the entire apple or they choose a very small one (golf ball sized). Low carbers with 100-150 total carbs can make room for an apple if they really want it. Those with blood glucose issues may think twice about the apple.... It's a personal choice.

It depends on your goals and why you are trying to stay low carb. If you are trying to reduce BG spikes (yes, even non-diabetics have BG spikes after carbs), then you can minimize spikes by consuming fat along with the apple. Peanuts are high in fat, so you can eat peanuts right before eating the apple to reduce BG spikes.

However, a single apple is about the same carbs as your Atkins meal with 14g net carbs (depending on each individual apple, of course... a food scale helps). You didn't give the other macros included in the Atkins meal, but I can be almost certain that it contains fat and protein. This is not true with your apple, so the apple will cause a sharper BG spike than the Atkins meal even with the same amount of carbs.

I true to be under 75 carbs a day. Bad carbs that is.
    I would rather eat an Atkins meal in a pinch and get protein and fat rather than eating an apple for just carbs.

What's the low carber daily? Is that an app?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

I would rather eat an Atkins meal in a pinch and get protein and fat rather than eating an apple for just carbs.

The question you want to answer is why you are trying to stay below 75g of carbs. If the answer to that question is to minimize BG spikes, it is most useful to spread those carbs out throughout the day and to pair them with fat and protein when you eat heavier carbs.

The Low Carber Daily is an MFP group, which was linked earlier.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

What's with this good carb, bad carb thing? Demonizing food isn't a good idea. Nothing wrong with low carb but what's with the arbitrary labels?
  • KarlyHK
    Options

[quote{What's with this good carb, bad carb thing? Demonizing food isn't a good idea. Nothing wrong with low carb but what's with the arbitrary labels?[/quote]

I'm not demonizing food. McDonald's is bad for you. So we say it's bad food. Same thing with carbs. There are bad ones that you don't need and then ones like fiber that I do need.

I was just asking a question about labels that say net carbs but then on the nutrition label have way more than what's advertised as net carbs.

I work at a hospital so I see all kinds of different diets. I've also tried different kinds for myself.
    I'm hypoglycemic and wanting to lose weight so the best route for me as of so far has been a low carb, high protein diet.
    Doctor and my fellow nurses recommended that for me.

Just asking about net carbs vs carbs on packaging is all.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Carbs are carbs. What are you classifying as bad carbs? I can only assume that you mean foods high in carbs but low/no fibre??

The low carb groub is a sub forum of MFP (myfitnesspal). I highly recommend you join, as it's full of experienced and helpful low carbers that will be able to answer all of your questions and steer you in the right direction..
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    [quote{What's with this good carb, bad carb thing? Demonizing food isn't a good idea. Nothing wrong with low carb but what's with the arbitrary labels?
    I'm not demonizing food. McDonald's is bad for you. So we say it's bad food. Same thing with carbs. There are bad ones that you don't need and then ones like fiber that I do need.

I was just asking a question about labels that say net carbs but then on the nutrition label have way more than what's advertised as net carbs.

I work at a hospital so I see all kinds of different diets. I've also tried different kinds for myself.
    I'm hypoglycemic and wanting to lose weight so the best route for me as of so far has been a low carb, high protein diet.

You say you are demonizing food but in the same sentence you call foods "bad".As I said nothing wrong with low carb but there are no "bad carbs" and "bad foods" unless you have a medical condition, allergy, intolerance that causes them to do bad things to your body.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    [quote{What's with this good carb, bad carb thing? Demonizing food isn't a good idea. Nothing wrong with low carb but what's with the arbitrary labels?

[/quote]

You posted this as i was typing my previous post.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

You say you are demonizing food but in the same sentence you call foods "bad".As I said nothing wrong with low carb but there are no "bad carbs" and "bad foods" unless you have a medical condition, allergy, intolerance that causes them to do bad things to your body.

We now know that the OP is hypoglycemic. The most common situation (and likely the OP's situation) is reactive hypoglycemia, which can be improved by reducing BG spikes. To OP, the "bad carbs" are those that lead to hypoglycemic episodes. I can understand how, in this context, carbs that affect BG would be considered "bad carbs."