Baby Food Recipes

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I will certainly look into baby led weaning.
  • lissmayer
    lissmayer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congrats, btw. I've loved pretty much every bit of parenting so far. It's an awesome trip. :)
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Another vote for making big batches, freezing in trays, and then storing in separate containers by flavor (I just used BPA-free ice cube trays and then Ziplocs; my kids were probably thoroughly poisoned because I didn't store it in organic hand-made glass bowls, but whatever). That's what I did and it worked great. One afternoon in the kitchen every 2-3 weeks, bake/steam and blend for a few hours, and you're set. If we were eating something at a meal that was easily mashable we'd include that, but having the cubes on hand made life really easy if we weren't eating something baby-appropriate or to send to daycare.

I also started with single-ingredient foods, then moved to combos - cube of this, cube of that, nuked carefully to ensure it wasn't too warm.

I baked apples and sweet potatoes and winter squash and pears, and then steamed peaches and mangoes and green beans and peas and summer squash and carrots and berries and broccoli and I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I can't remember, and just used my regular food processor or blender. I pureed the potatoes and blueberries with no texture issues. Everything except for bananas and avocadoes should be cooked before you serve it, at least at first (sometimes it can be hard on tummies otherwise). Don't use the water you steamed carrots with to blend (something about nitrates), but other than that it's a great idea. If you do berries, make sure to strain the seeds out as well as you can. When stuff was out of season, I occasionally would use a bag of organic frozen fruit/vegetables and would steam and blend it and that works great, too.

Don't bother with cereals, bananas and avocadoes and sweet potatoes are great to start with. I did use a bit of baby oatmeal or brown rice cereal mixed with fruit for breakfast sometimes just because it sounded good to me ;), but there's no need to use it.

Baby-led weaning is awesome, but if you/your partner isn't going to be staying home full-time with the baby make sure that your care provider is on board with the concept before you get all excited for it. Some people aren't comfortable doing it (I wasn't with my first; I was fine with it for my second but she was an easy choker so we had to back off and stick with ultra-pureed foods for a long time) and a lot of daycare centers simply can't since it takes more time/attention than purees. You might be able to have success doing it part-time, but what I've heard from some friends who have done it is that it's kind of hard to get it rolling at the beginning if you're not doing it all the time.

Particularly once the baby is a little older, don't be afraid of seasonings and flavors. Obviously nothing too spicy or salty or that might cause tummy upset (too much onion or garlic, for example), but a teeny pinch of cinnamon or garlic powder or paprika or whatever you're cooking with to create some variety and familiarity isn't a bad thing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Your baby won't need food until 6 months and then you can give him/her regular food like carrot sticks etc

Look up baby lead weaning ..which doesn't mean stopping BF, just introducing foods ...I haven't read the site but this seems to be the concept ..http://www.babyledweaning.com
  • rachaelbell21
    rachaelbell21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I also did baby led weaning and my son is such a good eater. He eats pretty much anything. A good book I used was by annabel karmel. Loads of good, healthy recipes that the whole family can eat
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Yeah, baby led weaning, as it is called now (we called it "eating regular food") is super easy. As I said before, babies only need tiny amounts of solids to start off. It would have been a huge waste for us to make and freeze batches of baby food. Here is an article about starting solids.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/solids-how/
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    One of the first foods that you traditionally start feeding a baby is cereal--but it looks like your allergic to many grains... Can you eat rice/brown rice?
  • jemhh
    Options
    Cereal isn't a must. I wouldn't worry about it. We didn't use any cereals.
  • mollysmom2009
    mollysmom2009 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i used whole fruits and veggies. steamed or boiled until very soft. blend or strain and then freeze in ice cube trays for individual servings. at dinner, i would put breakfast into the fridge to defrost. at breakfast, i took out lunch, etc. you can find lots of books online for cooking methods/food blends.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I made all of my own.

I started with sweet potatoes and squash. I personally find that the flavor of these is better if you roast/bake and then use the food processor to achieve your desired consistency. Green beans and peas are a bit hard to achieve a smooth consistency with.

I would make batches and freeze in ice cube trays and then pop them out and put into large freezer bags. It's great because you can start to stockpile things and then can make your own combinations. A favorite first combo for my kiddos was apple or pear mixed with squash, carrots, or sweet potato.

There are a few things that just don't freeze well, like regular potatoes.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Oh, and a little tip--adding a few drops of lemon juice to a whole batch of something like bananas or apples can help with the ugly browning. Just a few drops for the entire batch will do just fine!

I had a great amount of fun making my own. At first it was a little more time consuming but once you get rolling it really only takes 2 days a month to keep supplies up!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    but how do you know if the baby is going to have the same allergies as you?

It doesn't matter if they do or not. I am so allergic to those ingredients that I can't have them in the house at all.

so just make what you normally eat... why would baby eat any differently?
  • jemhh
    Options

It doesn't matter if they do or not. I am so allergic to those ingredients that I can't have them in the house at all.

She's a brand new mom. I'm guessing she just didn't know what babies eat. I knew virtually nothing about babies before having one. I've never been a baby person and hadn't spent time around them so it was pretty much all new to me.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Buy a blender or food processor and go at it. You could just mash with a fork as well. If I needed quick future servings I would freeze some in ice cube trays and pop them into transportable containers or baggies once frozen. Usually you start pretty simple for babies in the 6-9mth range and by a year they can eat less spiced/salted versions of whatever you eat. It does not have to be complicated, expensive, you do not need baby recipe books or instructions beyond "cook until soft, then mash". My youngest hated the texture of "baby food" and just started grabbing off of our plates when he was 10months old. By then I was just happy to get a break from bfing quite as often. Lol!

I find the "reccomendations" change often. When my oldest was ready for some solids they told me to start with sweeter fruits and some veggies. My middle child they said veggies only for the first month, my youngest they were starting to be concerned about iron levels in bfd babies and instructed to start with puréed meat. "They" was the public health nurse and the ob. Really, not rocket science. Vary what your babe eats and he/she will be fine.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    The only "rule" that was suggested to me was that you introduce veggies before fruit, as baby may reject the blander veg selections in favour of the sweeter fruit options. My kids are 31 and 27 (years, not months!) and they both started out with the same food we ate, only whizzed in a food processor and frozen into ice cube trays, just as has been suggested here a couple of times.
  • jemhh
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    The only "rule" that was suggested to me was that you introduce veggies before fruit, as baby may reject the blander veg selections in favour of the sweeter fruit options. My kids are 31 and 27 (years, not months!) and they both started out with the same food we ate, only whizzed in a food processor and frozen into ice cube trays, just as has been suggested here a couple of times.

Yeah, that's an old "rule" and one that I have always thought was silly. Breast milk is pretty sweet. I think if a kid were to reject other flavors due to only wanting something sweet, a breastfed child would reject most solids. (I have no idea if formula is sweet.)
  • KWlosingit
    KWlosingit Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    My kids 20 years ago would never eat "baby" food or allow me to feed them. They wanted regular food that they picked up themselves and ate. Boy was it messy since I would only feed them very soft things but that is the only way they would eat.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    cross2bear wrote: »

Yeah, that's an old "rule" and one that I have always thought was silly. Breast milk is pretty sweet. I think if a kid were to reject other flavors due to only wanting something sweet, a breastfed child would reject most solids. (I have no idea if formula is sweet.)

Agreed. Breast milk is supersweet. Way sweeter than most fruit. Our kids both had fruit from early on and had no problem eating and liking vegetables.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Oh! I guess that's a rule...only one food at a time for a few days so if there is a reaction you know what it is.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    One of the first foods that you traditionally start feeding a baby is cereal--but it looks like your allergic to many grains... Can you eat rice/brown rice?

Yes I can eat rice.
    jemhh wrote: »

She's a brand new mom. I'm guessing she just didn't know what babies eat. I knew virtually nothing about babies before having one. I've never been a baby person and hadn't spent time around them so it was pretty much all new to me.

Thank you. You sort of hit the nail on the head. My knowledge of what baby can eat is minimal.