Personal Trainer/Nutrionist

Options
I'm looking for someone to communicate with online to help me reach my goals. I want to bulk up so I can increase booty gains but I'm afraid of doing it incorrectly and already have trouble fitting my macros now. Then after the bulking stage I'm afraid I won't be able to slim down correctly will lose a decent amount of muscle.

Replies

• schenkzachary2016
    schenkzachary2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    A lot of people in the industry refer to what you are talking about as a "clean" or "lean" bulk. The goal of this type of program is to put on muscle without putting on fat, and it is possible. IMO, the most important factors are macro-nutrient timing and macro-nutrient quality. You want to be at a calorie surplus, meaning you take in more calories than you expend. Protein intake is vital if you want to build muscle. You want to hit a minimal protein level at each meal. I would recommend around 30-40g. Make sure the protein is coming from animal sources (dairy, beef, eggs). When you take in protein, it triggers protein synthesis. Whey protein is fast digesting so I would recommend this as soon as you wake up because your body hasn't had that signal since your last meal the day before. Whey is also good right after a workout because your muscles are primed to rebuild. When lifting, exercise selection and order becomes important. You want to do exercises that recruit large muscle groups (squat, deadlift, bench press). Also, you want to choose compound movements (exercises that cross two joint planes); this will increase secretion of muscle building hormones. The more muscle that you put on, the higher your basal metabolism will be. In other words, your body will increase the amount of fat it uses as energy -- if you are at a calorie surplus and hitting major muscle groups 2x per week, your body will not breakdown muscle tissue.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for someone to communicate with online to help me reach my goals. I want to bulk up so I can increase booty gains but I'm afraid of doing it incorrectly and already have trouble fitting my macros now. Then after the bulking stage I'm afraid I won't be able to slim down correctly will lose a decent amount of muscle.

1. eat in a surplus of 250 calories
    2. get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, strong curves, all pro beginner et. As you are looking for booty gains, I would suggest starting with strong curves.
    3. set your macros to .65 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat; fill in rest with carbs.
    4. make sure that you get adequate nutrition, but don't be afraid of calorie dense foods to round out your surplus like bagels, ice cream, etc.
    5. don't worry about fat gains as there is no way to gain muscle with no fat gains. When you are done with your bulk you can just cut the fat off...eating in a 250 calorie surplus will minimize fat gains...
  • schenkzachary2016
    schenkzachary2016 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    A lot of people in the industry refer to what you are talking about as a "clean" or "lean" bulk. The goal of this type of program is to put on muscle without putting on fat, and it is possible. IMO, the most important factors are macro-nutrient timing and macro-nutrient quality. You want to be at a calorie surplus, meaning you take in more calories than you expend. Protein intake is vital if you want to build muscle. You want to hit a minimal protein level at each meal. I would recommend around 30-40g. Make sure the protein is coming from animal sources (dairy, beef, eggs). When you take in protein, it triggers protein synthesis. Whey protein is fast digesting so I would recommend this as soon as you wake up because your body hasn't had that signal since your last meal the day before. Whey is also good right after a workout because your muscles are primed to rebuild. When lifting, exercise selection and order becomes important. You want to do exercises that recruit large muscle groups (squat, deadlift, bench press). Also, you want to choose compound movements (exercises that cross two joint planes); this will increase secretion of muscle building hormones. The more muscle that you put on, the higher your basal metabolism will be. In other words, your body will increase the amount of fat it uses as energy -- if you are at a calorie surplus and hitting major muscle groups 2x per week, your body will not breakdown muscle tissue.

wait, did you really just say that you can eat in a surplus of calories and not gain any fat?

actcually, a clean bulk is where you aim for .5 pound per week gain to minimize fat gains; a dirty bulk is where you shoot for one pound, or more, and are not concerned with fat gains...

apologies, but the majority of your post is bro-science...
    Yes that is exactly what I said and it is possible. You will gain weight in the form of muscle as opposed to adipose tissue but it is not easy to do and you have to be careful with the quality of macros you are putting into your body. There are countless studies supporting everything I said.
  • Mandimaders
    Mandimaders Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've actually struggled with this myself. Its difficult to gain "booty weight" while not gaining everywhere else because your body doesn't partition nutrients in that way. You have to focus on building muscle in that area while still workout out everything else and staying lean. I have had the most success with eating at maintenance and doing my normal routine, with an added "booty day" on a day I would normally have off. Deep squats are amazing for building your butt up. I would not recommend trying to bulk for quick results though, better to go low and slow and not have to worry about dieting down after and losing all your hard work.

[Edited by MFP Mods]
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I've actually struggled with this myself. Its difficult to gain "booty weight" while not gaining everywhere else because your body doesn't partition nutrients in that way. You have to focus on building muscle in that area while still workout out everything else and staying lean. I have had the most success with eating at maintenance and doing my normal routine, with an added "booty day" on a day I would normally have off. Deep squats are amazing for building your butt up. I would not recommend trying to bulk for quick results though, better to go low and slow and not have to worry about dieting down after and losing all your hard work.

[Edited by MFP Mods]

Don't forget the benefits of rear chain work on deadlifts. Picking heavy things up from the floor is great for that rear chain.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The key to minimizing fat gains is to eat a calorie surplus in accordance with what you can reasonably expect to gain.

As a woman with less than 1 year lifting experience you can expect to gain MAXIMUM 1 pound of muscle per month. (Men can expect about double this) This means that you can reasonable expect to gain no more than .25 pounds of muscle per week. This only requires a VERY small surplus (about 140 extra calories every day).

As it's very easy to incorrectly track calories, I generally suggest women who are wanting to bulk to just add on an extra 200-250 calories a day to ensure they are consuming enough total calories to facilitate hypertrophy. Yes, there may be some fat gains, but keeping this surplus small should help minimize this issue.

I cannot stress to you enough how important it is that your protein intake is high and your training is both purposeful and consistent during this time. This is one of the most important factors in your resulting body composition.

Dieting back down from this is fairly easy as well.

When i train my clients through these phases we generally take it low and slow each and every week. We may start lowering calories about 100-200 a week until we reach the desired deficit. Again, consistency and the right training protocol and macro-nutrient intake during this time make a huge difference when it comes to muscle retention. I generally then "reverse" diet about 100-200 a week and continue onwards to see where we can really push maintenance.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

wait, did you really just say that you can eat in a surplus of calories and not gain any fat?

actcually, a clean bulk is where you aim for .5 pound per week gain to minimize fat gains; a dirty bulk is where you shoot for one pound, or more, and are not concerned with fat gains...

Yes that is exactly what I said and it is possible. You will gain weight in the form of muscle as opposed to adipose tissue but it is not easy to do and you have to be careful with the quality of macros you are putting into your body. There are countless studies supporting everything I said.

Please post links to said studies...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

IF and I mean IF you really need someone to guide you, I will refer you to Steph @ stupideasypaleo.com
    She knows what she is talking about, is certified, power lifter and went from fat to skinny fit runner and being very very weak, to now lifting heavy and loving life again.

What's a certified powerlifter? Or am I reading it wrong and you mean she's a certified trainer or nutritionist or both? I'm not clear on what you meant.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

I bolded the only part of this post that really matters...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Please post a link to just one of these countless studies.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

depends how serious you are about it in terms of spending money, but hands down would recommend my coach - Paul Revelia (http://prophysique.com/)
  • J72FIT
    Options

Is your booty the only body part you want to develop?
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »

IF and I mean IF you really need someone to guide you, I will refer you to Steph @ stupideasypaleo.com
    She knows what she is talking about, is certified, power lifter and went from fat to skinny fit runner and being very very weak, to now lifting heavy and loving life again.

What's a certified powerlifter? Or am I reading it wrong and you mean she's a certified trainer or nutritionist or both? I'm not clear on what you meant.

Her bio says...

"...combines a formal education in biology / human physiology (BS Biology—Human Physiology), 12 years of science teaching experience (MA—Education and National Board Certification), holistic nutrition training (Certified Holistic Nutrition Practitioner), and an unabashed love of tasty Paleo food (human with taste buds) on her blog, Stupid Easy Paleo.

Her dedication to learning the finer points of sport is evident in her numerous coaching certifications such as USA Weightlifting Level 1 and multiple CrossFit disciplines, including Level 1. She’s competed in everything from endurance mountain biking to CrossFit (competing on a team at the SoCal Regionals in 2013) and now weightlifting where she earned qualification to the American Open in 2014. In addition to competing, Steph coaches weightlifting at CrossFit Fortius in San Diego and has coached CrossFit in gyms reaching from Scotland to SoCal."

Of course, I dont' want to totally talk shnizz about her bio, but being certified in "holistic nutrition" following "paleo", and being a "crossfit coach" don't mean all that much to me. Certainly it must for some people, but i personally prefer a more scientifically and evidence based program/education.
  • daaniel0596
    daaniel0596 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Clean bulking you want to aim for around 500 calorie surplus and you want to be getting your carbs from brown rice, any wholegrain foods etc. Try avoid white bread, rice etc.
    And when you want to cut back down to lose a bit of fat of you gain any you wish to lose eat at calorie maintence or just below 250-500 and try to get all carbs from green vegetables if you can keep your carbs under 50g a day after 3 days your body will reach a state called catosis in which it will use fat storage for fuel to stop this simply increase carb intake :) hope this helps
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

1. eat in a surplus of 250 calories
    2. get on a structured lifting program like strong lifts, strong curves, all pro beginner et. As you are looking for booty gains, I would suggest starting with strong curves.
    3. set your macros to .65 grams of protein per pound of body weight; .45 grams of fat; fill in rest with carbs.
    4. make sure that you get adequate nutrition, but don't be afraid of calorie dense foods to round out your surplus like bagels, ice cream, etc.
    5. don't worry about fat gains as there is no way to gain muscle with no fat gains. When you are done with your bulk you can just cut the fat off...eating in a 250 calorie surplus will minimize fat gains...

^This. Strong Curves is a fantastic program, I followed it during my first bulk and I am doing a similar program now for my second bulk.

Sohee Lee is a great coach and I think she offers online but I think she may be on the pricey side if you want one on one soheefit.com
  • rainbowbow
    Options

Clean bulking you want to aim for around 500 calorie surplus and you want to be getting your carbs from brown rice, any wholegrain foods etc. Try avoid white bread, rice etc.
    And when you want to cut back down to lose a bit of fat of you gain any you wish to lose eat at calorie maintence or just below 250-500 and try to get all carbs from green vegetables if you can keep your carbs under 50g a day after 3 days your body will reach a state called catosis in which it will use fat storage for fuel to stop this simply increase carb intake :) hope this helps

This is too much for women.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Clean bulking you want to aim for around 500 calorie surplus
    Why the arbitrary 500?
    and you want to be getting your carbs from brown rice, any wholegrain foods etc. Try avoid white bread, rice etc.
    Why?
    And when you want to cut back down to lose a bit of fat of you gain any you wish to lose eat at calorie maintence or just below 250-500
    Or? How about simply saying, stay in a deficit...
    and try to get all carbs from green vegetables
    Why?
    keep your carbs under 50g a day after 3 days your body will reach a state called catosis in which it will use fat storage for fuel
    There is no need for ketosis. Just remain in a deficit...