Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitbit: employer penalties for not using.

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
Given that trackers are inaccurate, only track wrist movement and many other flaws, I'm surprised that many employers have started penalizing employees for not using these.

None of them work for swimming. They don't track weight lifting or spinning class (my main forms of exercise due to arthritis). The IR HRM doesn't work well for activities other than steady state. And if you start a lot they have even now trouble.

I would think that these penalties leave employers open to potentially large ADA lawsuits.
And yes offering a 'discount' for using it is the same as penalizing an employee for not using a company issued tracker.

I don't have any such mandate from an employer. I don't need one to swim as much as I do.

Replies

• fishgutzy
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    The music teacher at the local high school has been winning the daily step counts. It turns out playing the piano was wracking up HUGE numbers of steps.

These things can be gamed.

Exactly. Just one way that these things create fraud opportunity.
    I swim 4 miles a day but that would never count.
    And even the very expensive "swim" trackers do not count kick drill laps and missed laps if one dissent glide long enough after wall push.
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know this was a thing, what are the incentives/discounts towards?
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    pasandoval wrote: »
    So maybe bring it up with the employer? Talk through the problem and see if it can be solved?
    Not an issue my my employer.
    But it seems to be a growing trend.
    Yet these trackers are useless, in part because they are inaccurate.
    The high end trackers that provide active athletes with good data to help them train are not the ones that employers are handing out.
    It is my opinion that employer wellness director are falling to the fraud presented by slick salesmen.
    Granted there was a flurry of articles about companies adopting this back in 2014 but very few articles that even reference it in 2016.
    My guess is that eventually employers will realize they were bamboozled.
    Or maybe I'm just full of 5#i7 :D
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Could you link to a case or article about a company only discounting insurance for step tracker users? I have never heard of this. My employer has a list of two dozen or so possible activities/classes to do for a discount.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you have an article or information about employers requiring them?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Given that trackers are inaccurate, only track wrist movement and many other flaws, I'm surprised that many employers have started penalizing employees for not using these.

None of them work for swimming. They don't track weight lifting or spinning class (my main forms of exercise due to arthritis). The IR HRM doesn't work well for activities other than steady state. And if you start a lot they have even now trouble.

I would think that these penalties leave employers open to potentially large ADA lawsuits.
    And yes offering a 'discount' for using it is the same as penalizing an employee for not using a company issued tracker.

I don't have any such mandate from an employer. I don't need one to swim as much as I do.

Agree it wouldbe interesting to see an artile. And I would be pretty sure if an employer I'd doing this it has been run by lawyers and legally there is not a penalty involved in not participatsting in the program. Even if the employee considers not getting a positive incentive a penalty.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    My workplace has had some fun contests with them (areas that have the most steps get to choose a charity to donate money to, etc), but they're totally optional and not tied to any discounts.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    We have an incentive program and anyone who tests BMI and bloodwork gets an insurance bonus. If a certain percentage of the company participates there is an additional premium reduction. To add to this there is a FitBit (or other fitness tracker) bonus program where if you sync your account to the company healthsite you get premium bonuses and small incentives from every challenge. No one is penalized and I was not aware of anyone doing this.

Punitive measures have little to no chance of success and I'm surprised bad management still tries this stuff.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    ‘voluntary’ is amended to permit penalties up to thousands of dollars if applied to a worker and their spouse for not participating and not divulging their health information to a wellness program,”

-Karen Pollitz, senior fellow at the Kaiser Family Foundation

EEOC Rules Aim to Clarify Employer Wellness Programs(May 23, 2016)

I've read about this happening in places as diverse as the City of Kissimmee, Florida (government employees) to companies in Sweden. It's codified into law in the ACA , and the EEOC ruling verified that enormous penalties can be applied for refusing to participate or failure to meet employer-set mandates, including meeting step goals.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know this was a thing, what are the incentives/discounts towards?

Employers get reduced health insurance premiums when they can show their employees are taking steps to improve their health.

My company handed out Fitbit Ones a few years ago but now simply has a $100 reimbursement for people to use on/toward any tracker of their choice. We're given cash bonuses depending on the number of steps we take, amount of time spent exercising, amount of water we drink, and other things.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    My employer provides health insurance discounts for a voluntary annual wellness screening. Everyone who wants discounts can get them. If you don't want discounts, then it is as easy as not participating. As far as I am concerned, there are free blood tests and lower cost insurance... most people do it because it just makes sense. They use an outside company and my HR people don't know what my results are (until I brag to the entire office about how awesome I am, lol).

Occasionally, they will also do special events not tied to health insurance at all. Sometimes it involves getting particular steps or something and prizes for highest activity, or drawings. There was once, for example, that we would get to draw a playing card for 1 lap around our facility (around 0.7 miles), up to 5 per week. At the end of the week, our cards were compared as poker hands and the top hand got some sort of prize. There was an alternative of a certain amount of activity (can't remember how many minutes) for cards also. During one of the weeks, I was on vacation traveling. But I was hiking a whole lot on vacation and still got cards that week (someone else physically chose my cards for me). Someone who is disabled could perhaps do some other sort of physical activity. It doesn't punish anyone who doesn't participate... they just don't get a chance to win prizes. I see nothing wrong with this.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    offering a stipend for an optional activity does not penalize people that don't participate.

They're trying to reduce their insurance costs.

My employer offers a little bit of cash to do an on-site health analysis once a year. I always take advantage of it.