Need to lose 100 pounds and scared

Options
2»

Replies

• mysticlizard
    mysticlizard Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Be kind to yourself. People are harder on themselves and have higher expectations for themselves than they would ever consider having for another person. We all have good days and bad days. If you have a bad day, knowledge it and move on. One mistake does not undue all the work you have put into it. Good luck!
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @jls2837 yep, it seems like a big number. My number was 150, now it's real close to 100. My doctor told me numbers that frightened me more. I've been at this since April and lost 45 pounds. I started walking a mile, barely, 3 days a week. Now I do 3 miles 5 or 6 days a week. My really scary numbers are all getting smaller, BP normal 120/65, resting pulse 60 and the one that really scared me, my max heart rate from slow walking 190 now barely 150 when I'm going 3.5 miles an hour.
    For me, I had to have someone else be ugly brutally honest with me before it sunk in, but I got it. My advice, stick around here, seek professional help if you think it will help, I see a dietician regularly. Log honestly to see where you are going off the rails. Forgive yourself for indiscretions, but figure out why they happen. Plan and prepare.
    Remember, you can only do so much today and you have the rest of your wonderful life to become perfect. You didn't get this way overnight. Some days are going to seem impossible to get through, heck some weeks are too, but you will. Find friends who will bolster you and look for you. Find what works for you and enjoy it, you're changing your life not just dieting. Don't fear a number.
  • MargaretLunan
    MargaretLunan Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    yes is a big number. i have been trying for 2.5 years i have lost over 80 pounds and want to lose another 100.to friend me click on my name than on the next screen also and send a friends requst . we can do this together one step at a time .here is a group that has helped me http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109303-lose-1-pound-a-week
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Been here for over three years, slow and steady does it. You can do this and you will you need good supportive friends. Feel free to add me if you wish. Good luck.
  • SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    For me the real key is to never give up. So you have a bad day....tomorrow is a fresh start. The other thing that you will be tempted to do is eat less calories than mfp gives you - it's a trap, don't do it. Since your caloric requirements diminish as you lose weight - you don't want to get your body used to 1200 calories now. Remember 80% of this battle is won in the kitchen...exercise is just the cherry on top.
  • mrswiggum
    mrswiggum Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Most people have already said what I wanted to say, but I wanted to chime in with some support.

I have lost 180 pounds over three years. I still have about 15 to go, but it's made a huge difference in my life. If I can do this, YOU CAN. Don't be intimidated, don't be scared, just go out and do it. Make small changes at first, feel the benefits, and then keep going.

I think that's the key thing: keep going. You're going to hit plateaus; you're going to have bad weeks where you gain; it's going to be incredibly frustrating at times; it may take longer than you want it (I'm on year three!). But you have to remember that it's going to be worth it in the end, and the number on the scale is not always the best measurement of success. Look for those non-scale victories for motivation: fitting into smaller clothes, getting compliments from coworkers or friends, hitting your personal best in an activity, etc.

And don't look at exercise as a chore. If you do stuff you hate, sure, it'll be a chore. But there are SO MANY activities out there to do, you're bound to find something you enjoy so you're having fun, not laboring through something. Maybe you like to swim, or cycle, or play basketball. Find something that's fun for you and just go for it.

So just be positive, believe in yourself and DON'T GIVE UP. Oh, and BE HONEST WITH MFP. Measure your food, take accountability for your choices! If you aren't honest about what you're eating, you're not going to make progress.

You've got this! Someday you will realize all your hard work has paid off, and you have made a positive change, and it's going to feel amazing.
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I started out with just over 100 to lose, and have logged on mfp and added exercise for the last year and I'm down 60 lbs now! You can do it, just focus on small goals at a time and try not to beat yourself up if it doesn't feel fast enough :) Feel free to add me!
  • nomorefatgirl78
    nomorefatgirl78 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the comments so there may be someone else who has basically said the same thing. Girl, you CAN do it! I had a friend of mine who talked me in to signing up for mfp at the beginning of last year. I've had some health issues pop up here and there and have had to give it up temporarily but..... thanks to this app alone (and then eventually my dr ok'd putting me on Phentermine) I'm down 135 lbs! I've done roughly 110 on my own, calorie counting and walking, nothing else. I'm at a plateau now and need some support myself. We can do it! :smiley:
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does seem overwhelming at first but it isn't. It is absolutely 100% doable and you absolutely can do it. A while back, I stepped on a scale and it said 328 pounds. It was all I could do to keep from crying. I felt defeated. I felt like I was just doomed to be fat. Finally, I decided to stop making excuses and lose the weight and get in shape. At that point, I was 320 pounds. Now, I am 248 pounds and still steadily dropping fat. Honestly, the hardest part is simply making the decision to take control of your life and lose the weight. After that, just be patient and watch the weight drop. It won't happen overnight and it will fluctuate and go up a little from time to time. Don't panic. That is normal and doesn't mean you are gaining fat. Just keep on keeping on and one day you will look back and think WOW, did I really lose that much?
  • periphrastic
    periphrastic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm not OP, but I just wanted to say thank you to everyone sharing their advice and experiences! I've been on MFP for almost 2 months this time, with 70 lb to lose, and I've been impatient with my progress for the past two weeks. It's motivating to see all the support on here and be reminded that I will get there if I stick with it and stay disciplined through these times of slow progress. :smiley: