Options
2»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I'm looking for someone to communicate with online to help me reach my goals. I want to bulk up so I can increase booty gains but I'm afraid of doing it incorrectly and already have trouble fitting my macros now. Then after the bulking stage I'm afraid I won't be able to slim down correctly will lose a decent amount of muscle.

IF and I mean IF you really need someone to guide you, I will refer you to Steph @ stupideasypaleo.com
    She knows what she is talking about, is certified, power lifter and went from fat to skinny fit runner and being very very weak, to now lifting heavy and loving life again.

What's a certified powerlifter? Or am I reading it wrong and you mean she's a certified trainer or nutritionist or both? I'm not clear on what you meant.

Her bio says...

"...combines a formal education in biology / human physiology (BS Biology—Human Physiology), 12 years of science teaching experience (MA—Education and National Board Certification), holistic nutrition training (Certified Holistic Nutrition Practitioner), and an unabashed love of tasty Paleo food (human with taste buds) on her blog, Stupid Easy Paleo.

Her dedication to learning the finer points of sport is evident in her numerous coaching certifications such as USA Weightlifting Level 1 and multiple CrossFit disciplines, including Level 1. She’s competed in everything from endurance mountain biking to CrossFit (competing on a team at the SoCal Regionals in 2013) and now weightlifting where she earned qualification to the American Open in 2014. In addition to competing, Steph coaches weightlifting at CrossFit Fortius in San Diego and has coached CrossFit in gyms reaching from Scotland to SoCal."

Of course, I dont' want to totally talk shnizz about her bio, but being certified in "holistic nutrition" following "paleo", and being a "crossfit coach" don't mean all that much to me. Certainly it must for some people, but i personally prefer a more scientifically and evidence based program/education.

Thanks, and yes the "holistic" thing is a very weak cert at best but she does have chops at least in terms of physiology.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for someone to communicate with online to help me reach my goals. I want to bulk up so I can increase booty gains but I'm afraid of doing it incorrectly and already have trouble fitting my macros now. Then after the bulking stage I'm afraid I won't be able to slim down correctly will lose a decent amount of muscle.

Clean bulking you want to aim for around 500 calorie surplus and you want to be getting your carbs from brown rice, any wholegrain foods etc. Try avoid white bread, rice etc.
    And when you want to cut back down to lose a bit of fat of you gain any you wish to lose eat at calorie maintence or just below 250-500 and try to get all carbs from green vegetables if you can keep your carbs under 50g a day after 3 days your body will reach a state called catosis in which it will use fat storage for fuel to stop this simply increase carb intake :) hope this helps

Uhh no. That is too high a surplus for women. No need to avoid white bread... I have it all the time. Whole grains and vegetables are great but at the end of the day white carbs will not make you fat and because they are typically not as filling they are great during a bulk.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

IF and I mean IF you really need someone to guide you, I will refer you to Steph @ stupideasypaleo.com
    She knows what she is talking about, is certified, power lifter and went from fat to skinny fit runner and being very very weak, to now lifting heavy and loving life again.

What's a certified powerlifter? Or am I reading it wrong and you mean she's a certified trainer or nutritionist or both? I'm not clear on what you meant.

sorry, fat fingers :)
    Certified nutritionist, trainer and olympic power lifter.

Ok, well Olympic Lifter and Power lifter I think you mean because weight lifting and powerlifting aren't the same sport but many of us do both. It's fun! :) Being that she is CrossFit that would make sense as well.

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I work with an online coach who is EXCELLENT. He has openings currently, info here

I've had really excellent changes to my body composition overall, and he's helped me get strong as fark. Highly recommend!
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've been working with the same coach as thedreamhazer for the last 2 years (almost). He's awesome, fun, and I've made some significant increases in strength and improvements in body composition.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I work with an online coach who is EXCELLENT. He has openings currently, info here

I've had really excellent changes to my body composition overall, and he's helped me get strong as fark. Highly recommend!

OP he is a great coach. This is an excellent recommendation...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    A lot of people in the industry refer to what you are talking about as a "clean" or "lean" bulk. The goal of this type of program is to put on muscle without putting on fat, and it is possible. IMO, the most important factors are macro-nutrient timing and macro-nutrient quality. You want to be at a calorie surplus, meaning you take in more calories than you expend. Protein intake is vital if you want to build muscle. You want to hit a minimal protein level at each meal. I would recommend around 30-40g. Make sure the protein is coming from animal sources (dairy, beef, eggs). When you take in protein, it triggers protein synthesis. Whey protein is fast digesting so I would recommend this as soon as you wake up because your body hasn't had that signal since your last meal the day before. Whey is also good right after a workout because your muscles are primed to rebuild. When lifting, exercise selection and order becomes important. You want to do exercises that recruit large muscle groups (squat, deadlift, bench press). Also, you want to choose compound movements (exercises that cross two joint planes); this will increase secretion of muscle building hormones. The more muscle that you put on, the higher your basal metabolism will be. In other words, your body will increase the amount of fat it uses as energy -- if you are at a calorie surplus and hitting major muscle groups 2x per week, your body will not breakdown muscle tissue.

wait, did you really just say that you can eat in a surplus of calories and not gain any fat?

actcually, a clean bulk is where you aim for .5 pound per week gain to minimize fat gains; a dirty bulk is where you shoot for one pound, or more, and are not concerned with fat gains...

apologies, but the majority of your post is bro-science...
    Yes that is exactly what I said and it is possible. You will gain weight in the form of muscle as opposed to adipose tissue but it is not easy to do and you have to be careful with the quality of macros you are putting into your body. There are countless studies supporting everything I said.
    I've been doing this for over 30 years and have yet to run across a study purporting it. So feel free to link some of these "countless" studies.

BTW telling me to google is isn't my responsibility. If you make the claim, then the onus is on you to provide the evidence.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

I personally would echo this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Clean bulking you want to aim for around 500 calorie surplus and you want to be getting your carbs from brown rice, any wholegrain foods etc. Try avoid white bread, rice etc.
    And when you want to cut back down to lose a bit of fat of you gain any you wish to lose eat at calorie maintence or just below 250-500 and try to get all carbs from green vegetables if you can keep your carbs under 50g a day after 3 days your body will reach a state called catosis in which it will use fat storage for fuel to stop this simply increase carb intake :) hope this helps

Basically everything you just said is incorrect.

Catosis. Lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

way too huge of a surplus for a female and why is brown rice OK, but white rice is not????
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Basically everything you just said is incorrect.

Catosis. Lol

is that the precursor to ketosis???
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

way too huge of a surplus for a female and why is brown rice OK, but white rice is not????

That 1 extra gram of fiber dude. Don't you know anything?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I'd back that recommendation as well. He's an excellent trainer and has a solid grip on the actual science behind it - as opposed to some of the broscience nonsense being posted elsewhere in this thread.