High protein Diet to lose weight

Options
Hi I am female who weighs 188lbs. I am trying to get to 130 pounds on a high protein diet. I don't really know how much to set MyFitnessPal goal to achieve what I am looking for, can anyone please help. Some advice on this diet would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why high protein?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    1lb of protein per lb of lean body mass. You'd be in a good range if you get 450+ calories from protein.
  • adriana8422
    adriana8422 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mostly because I feel it would be easier for me to keep.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Personally, there's not much benefit to eating more than about 1 gram per Lb of LBM (generally right around 0.8g per Lb of body weight)...and even then, the benefits are marginal. I personally wouldn't go over that as all you are really doing is making really expensive glucose.

I'm assuming you're talking about low carb...how low carb...are you looking at keto, etc? Keto diets are high fat low carb with moderate amounts of protein.

On the higherish side of 1g per Lb of LBM, you'd likely be looking at a moderate carb intake rather than low carb...again, I see no real purpose for excess protein...it's just really expensive glucose.
  • adriana8422
    adriana8422 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes low carb and high protein mostly. I do love meat so I thought it would better cutting the carbs and eating more protein. I don't really have much experience in keeping a food diet.
  • Firefly0606
    Firefly0606 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's not an easy question to answer for you...depends really, on what you mean by 'high protein'.
    You could eat nothing but chicken breast - that would be high protein. But I don't think that's what you mean.

The question above is also worth thinking about.... why? If you want high protein, think about what percentage of your intake you want to be protein, and plug that percentage into MFP. It will do the rest.

Otherwise, what MFP recommends works for most people if their goal is losing body fat. The minority are the people who have more specific goals, such as recomposition, body building etc. But to get from 188 to 130, there is no magic pill, potion or macronutrient breakdown. Calories in, Calories our (CICO) works for most.
  • FelonE1
    FelonE1 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just eat in a calorie deficit
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Yes low carb and high protein mostly. I do love meat so I thought it would better cutting the carbs and eating more protein. I don't really have much experience in keeping a food diet.

This is pretty much what I do. I enjoy eating lean meats and they help keep me full much better than carbs. Since you will be eating a lot of high protein foods, I wouldn't really worry too much about counting macros. I do suggest rounding out your meals with some vegetables that add bulk and fiber as well as being nutritious. They will also help keep you full.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi I am female who weighs 188lbs. I am trying to get to 130 pounds on a high protein diet. I don't really know how much to set MyFitnessPal goal to achieve what I am looking for, can anyone please help. Some advice on this diet would be greatly appreciated.

Weight loss is about calories in/calories out, so diet type and macro distribution will help you lose weight only if it's sustainable for you and helps you keep your calorie deficit.

Any diet will work if you stay in a consistent calorie deficit, but no diet will work if you the same or more calories than you burn. :)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

That makes sense. Sustainability is what helps us keep a calorie deficit.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

If it will help you stick to your calories, it can't hurt. Carbs keep me fuller than protein so wouldn't really work for me.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Eat in a calorie deficit and get adequate protein. Like the earlier comment: 1 gram per pound of LEAN body mass (or 0.8 grams per lb of your goal/ideal body weight). Any more than that is kind of pointless unless you are a body builder trying to put on a bunch of muscle maybe?