Eating the foods you hate

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Not really, no. Every now and then, I'll try something that I historically haven't liked, just to see if anything has changed. Sometimes, a different preparation or just time changes if I like something. Other times, it's still nasty.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    For the most part, no. Food is great, and I like to budget to have the best of my choosing. Still, a while back I'd spent some money on protein bars that I thought I'd like, but later on, I realized that I actually did NOT like them, so I did try to eat them for the sake of not wasting money and to get the protein, and I tried masking the taste with other foods, but I stopped after a bar or two and got rid of the rest. I just can't make myself eat stuff I truly hate. Some stuff just changes with age. I remember not liking pizza crust when I was little, but sometime during adolescence, I started eating the crusts for whatever reason.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    It depends- there are some foods I don't care for but don't hate (yogurt and bananas for example) and if they are the only thing available or are free at an event I will eat them, but there are other foods I loathe won't eat (Brussels sprouts, grits).
    If you are someone who is an insanely picky eater (like, will only eat less then a dozen foods) then forcing yourself to eat more foods is a good thing. However, if you have a wide range of foods and just don't like a few foods, then F them! It's okay to not like some foods, as long as you are polite about it.
  • lyndseybellz
    lyndseybellz Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    i haaaate tuna. but it is so cheap and so high protein i will cover it in mustard and eat it.
    i also hate hate hate HATE greek yogurt. but i keep trying all the millions of brand/flavors convinced i will find one i like.

if the pros of the food outweigh the cons of my tastebuds...i'll hold my nose and choke it down.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why do you feel you need to eat foods you hate? So many foods in the world to choose from, if you truly don't like something I don't know why you need to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy.

This. End thread...
  • Former_chubby_momma
    Former_chubby_momma Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Once I tried to make myself eat fish... Still hated it. I've had a strong distaste for seafood my entire life. I wont be trying that again both because fish tastes gross and I'm a vegan now anyway. I also don't see myself ever enjoying tofu, but maybe I'll force that into my diet idk.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I try things as an adult that I did not like as a child and I find I like most of the stuff I did not. Recently I tried olives and I found I like them. I tried a gizzard and did not like it's texture so I will not eat it again. Expanding your pallet is good but if you find you still don't like those things they why continue to eat them?
  • goingtobefit2015
    goingtobefit2015 Posts: 408 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I don't eat foods I hate or don't like...there are plenty of other choices of foods that are healthy and taste good! Choose those! Even though through time of changing your food lifestyle your taste buds change and you end up "liking" a lot of foods you once "hated".
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I am just curious - what is the conversation in your head that creates the negative judgement about a food? I know that I dont like the taste of most fish, so thats why I dont eat it, other than salmon or tuna. I dont like celery because jeepers, you can chew and chew that stuff and it is so fibrous that it just doesnt seem to want to go down. Is it texture? Smell? Someone said mushrooms are slimey - I have never had a slimey mushroom, so its difficult to relate to that. I dont like organ meats or brains or stuff, but I wasnt raised on them, and so I have a preconceived idea that I wont like them. I am just trying to understand the root of the aversion for some of these perfectly normal and everyday foods, other than the generic "Idontlikethemtheymakemegag".
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    No, if I don't like a food and I don't like a food and won't continue to try and make myself it. There aren't many foods that I don't like so I don't feel its the end of the world that I won't eat nuts or seafood. I have always tried something before deciding one way or or another.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Mango.

I wanted to like mango since forever. I like mango lassi, liked mango smoothies, but plain raw mango, no.

Every year I would eat a mango hoping to like it.

Finally the little honey mangos became available in our area, and those I love.

Regular mango, still kinda meh but I can eat and enjoy it now.

Papaya, that's a different story, it just tastes like vomit to me. I don't even try anymore.

I like a whole lot of foods, so many foods that most people think I am not a picky eater - I am picky in the sense of having likes and dislikes, I do care how things taste. But I like a lot of different foods and tastes.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Why do you feel you need to eat foods you hate? So many foods in the world to choose from, if you truly don't like something I don't know why you need to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy.

That part
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I always think salmon looks nice, but when I put it in my mouth I immediately feel like if I swallowed it I would throw up. I have tried it quite a lot over the years and it's always the same. Weirdly I eat all other types of fish.
    I did learn to like olives which I hated 10 years ago and now I love
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    First world problems in this thread, we have all this nutritious food readily available to us but we'll only deign to eat it if we know for sure it's one of our faves. Smells a little like entitlement, however it tastes.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    I am just curious - what is the conversation in your head that creates the negative judgement about a food? I know that I dont like the taste of most fish, so thats why I dont eat it, other than salmon or tuna. I dont like celery because jeepers, you can chew and chew that stuff and it is so fibrous that it just doesnt seem to want to go down. Is it texture? Smell? Someone said mushrooms are slimey - I have never had a slimey mushroom, so its difficult to relate to that. I dont like organ meats or brains or stuff, but I wasnt raised on them, and so I have a preconceived idea that I wont like them. I am just trying to understand the root of the aversion for some of these perfectly normal and everyday foods, other than the generic "Idontlikethemtheymakemegag".

For me, the main feature of the things I don't like is texture.

Next is how they make me feel.

And finally, it is smell/taste.

So for example ...

Mushrooms are rubbery and slimy (think mushroom slices on pizza) ... bad texture. They also make me feel slightly nauseated and burp for a couple hours after having even a small piece. That's not nice. And they taste bad. They are a fail on all counts.

Green peppers have a good texture. But they leave me feeling digestively upset for even a day or two after eating them ... burping them up, unsettled stomach, heartburn. So that's a big NO. And they taste bad.
    Yellow and red peppers are the same, but milder. I can actually eat a bit of red pepper in a dish and only have mild heartburn and burping etc. and they don't taste quite as bad as green peppers.

Milk, peanuts, peas, and tree nuts have a great texture and taste. But they fail on the second point ... bloating, digestive upset, heartburn, gas, diarrhea. I can manage them in small quantities, but for example, about 10 peanuts is my maximum.

Seafood can fail on the texture. I just can't get past the texture of things like oysters and calamari. And they fail on smell and taste. But I do eat tuna, salmon steaks and battered flake ... those are OK for texture and if they're done nicely the smell/taste is pretty good.

Beef can fail on texture depending how it is done. It can sit in my stomach like a brick, so sometimes it makes me feel bad. And if it is anything remotely pink, the metallic taste of blood just puts me right off.

Steak fails because I had steak once a week from the time I could first manage to chew a bit of it until I was 18. If I never even see steak again, I will be a happy person. It was never my favourite meat (see comments above about beef).

• Machka9
    edited October 2016
    Options
    That said, the list of what I do like is much longer and covers all my nutritional needs. :)

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm a natural-born omnivore. There is only one dish I wanted to spit out and never try again, and it may be that it was prepared wrong. Long ago at a workplace pot luck some gal brought what she said were stuffed grape leaves. That may be, but me and that particular dish didn't have a pleasant meeting and I'm not willing to search the world for properly done stuffed grape leaves.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I'm a natural-born omnivore. There is only one dish I wanted to spit out and never try again, and it may be that it was prepared wrong. Long ago at a workplace pot luck some gal brought what she said were stuffed grape leaves. That may be, but me and that particular dish didn't have a pleasant meeting and I'm not willing to search the world for properly done stuffed grape leaves.

I had stuffed grape leaves once at a restaurant and they were really good. Sort of similar to cabbage rolls but maybe a bit nicer. :)

Unfortunately it's not a common thing. I don't think I've ever come across them again.

• Machka9
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    Mango.

I wanted to like mango since forever. I like mango lassi, liked mango smoothies, but plain raw mango, no.

Every year I would eat a mango hoping to like it.

Finally the little honey mangos became available in our area, and those I love.

Regular mango, still kinda meh but I can eat and enjoy it now.

Papaya, that's a different story, it just tastes like vomit to me. I don't even try anymore.

I like a whole lot of foods, so many foods that most people think I am not a picky eater - I am picky in the sense of having likes and dislikes, I do care how things taste. But I like a lot of different foods and tastes.

I didn't particularly like the mangoes available in Canada ... rock hard and too sour.

But then I came to Australia and started eating slightly over-ripe mangoes right off the tree ... and they are absolutely delicious! They shot right up to the top of my list of favourite fruit. I look forward to mango season here every year ... it's coming soon!

Unfortunately they are a bit high in calories so I have to be careful. I could easily put away 600 cals worth in a day. :grin:

• billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    force myself to eat them? no. Retry them or try them in different recipes? yes