Has this happened to anyone else...?

Options
I dont know about you, but since i have started with eating a lot healthier and losing weight, i find myself being a total food nazi when it comes to other people!

For example, chatting to my friend about lunch, i was having salad and she was having a tin of spag bol. I didnt say anything, but inside I was like 'OMG why would you eat that?! a plate of tinned processed carbs, ick!!!'

And when I see overweight people in the street with a pasty or mcdonalds, its just like, ewwww, why would you do that?!

Its not like i would ever shout at people in the street because of what they eat, but it really has changed how i look at food. Just wondered if other people did the same?!

Replies

• christineanne8
    Options
    Ok, I don't feel so bad now that I'm not the only one!! :) My co-workers order food in every day (wings, chinese, subs, etc) and they either don't know or don't care how fatty and high in calories everything is. It actually annoys me more than anything, but I never say anything of course!
  • Pseudocyber
    Pseudocyber Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Don't be that guy. No one likes them.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Definitely....all the time! At work there are a lot of people who bring in those frozen meals to heat up in the microwave. Now, I know they are convenient, but I can't imagine that they're all that healthy. I usually think to myself something like, "I can't believe I used to eat that way!" But if you haven't been used to eating more healthfully, then you might think things are okay to eat that really shouldn't be okay...
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!!!

How many times have I watched obese people cram their faces full of Burgers and Fries and had to refrain from saying 'do YOU really NEED to eat that?'

And how many times have I stopped myself saying 'have you any idea how many calories are in that?'

I am obsessed, yes. But at least in a way that's healthy FOR ME.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    It's not like we're saying it; just thinking it. I think we all have tact. :wink:
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    AGREED!
    To be honest I try not to judge. I do what I do for me and not for others. Obviously the healthier life style isn't for everyone. However, you can't help how you feel either!
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    OMG! Me too. My fiancée (who is not overweight) eats relatively healthy but when he doesn't he eats ALL the wrong things. I start to look at the labels on the things he has and he jerks it away from me and tells me not to ruin it for him. lol But really I guess I am more jealous of his metabolism :smile:
  • timjai
    timjai Posts: 113
    Options
    Being a re-formed smoker I'm very much on my high horse condemning all those that smoke.... I do it all in my head but I can't help myself!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I dont know what 'tin of spag bol' is, but I'm pretty sure I would think that's gross. :)

I understand what you're saying, but you have to let other people be. It wasnt that long ago that I'm sure you were making some of the same choices. :)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    LOL! Yup, this is me as well.
    For me it is my family. I see my Son bringing home horrible fast food and I want to scream!
    I am hoping that as I stay with my healthier choices my family will slowly join my quest to live and eat better.
  • mikihainesy
    Options
    I get jealous they can eat all that stodge while i'm obsessing over how many cals I have left :-/
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Nope I can honestly say I don't. I don't know what their battles are or what journey they are on and I don't remember anyone appointing me expert on taste or health
  • takemeaway10
    Options
    I judge people at Wal-Mart based on what they have in their cart. White bread, sugary cereals, frozen dinners, GATORADE, and ramen noodles. Srsly, I wouldn't judge if you had just ONE of those things (except for ramen noodles; I wouldn't wanna give that crap to the homeless). I've seen plenty of guys (who I assume are single) fill their buggy with fresh meat, a loaf of white bread, fruit, and bottled water.

Still, you have to understand that not everyone eats poorly by choice; some people are truly limited by their budget, ignorance, and distance.
  • jgranger221
    Options
    That happened to me the other night. I was out with 3 friends, two others of whom are also MFP members. The fourth was eating substantially more than we were, so we said something. (Remember this was a group of friends!) Right then and there he pulled out his phone and joined!

We were all the other person at one point- the one people looked at and thought to themselves "Do you really need to eat that 3rd cheeseburger?", so we can sympathize. We know how hard it is to put down the fork and pick up the weights or the running shoes or the exercise DVD. While it's not our place to tell others how and what to eat, if we lead by example, others will come to us and ask how we're losing the weight. Once they come to you, it's OK to evangelize just a little!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    It normally just makes me super jealous (especially if the person is skinny). I kind of feel bad when I go out to dinner with friends and order something healthy because I know they assume I'm judging them for what they get but I'm totally not. I want them to enjoy themselves and order something good! Just because I'm dieting doesn't mean someone else has to suffer.

Also, the coffee shop here at work has really stepped up it's game with the pastries and it really sucks to say no to! Not gonna lie. I do love a good orange glazed scone *drool*

On the other hand, I do get a little annoyed when overweight people (and generally unhealthy people) put crap into their bodies without a second thought and then complain all the time about their health issues. That, to me, is what's annoying. If you don't care about your body/health then I could care less, but if you are going to constantly complain about how many things you have wrong with you, treat your body better. I'm tired of hearing about it.

But I am lucky since most of my coworkers are health conscious.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    For me its about a lifetime of eating like "everyone else." Then, after joining MFP, learning about calories, portions, and net calories; I discovered an inner voice speaking to me about eating right. Like you, I went into "people watching mode" and started noticing not only what I ate, but what others ate.

However, I have not become a food nazi (yet, maybe need some more time); nor did I hear my inner voice wanting to yell at people, "GOOD GOD, DO YOU KNOW WHAT ARE YOU EATING?!?!?"......
    On the other hand, I admit noticing a correlation between size of people and venues of restaurants. Let's face it when you look around at your favorite pizza joint or fast food burger restaurant, majority of the folks (like me) are big people. My inner voice was wondering, "Are we all like this? Where are all the skinny people? Why don't skinny people eat here." That was when I started making my own pizzas, grilled my own burgers, (both very infrequently) and watched what I consumed.

For me, I realize am not a strong enough person (yet) to go into a burger place and choose to eat a salad, or at least substitute fries for a fruit bowl.

I have lost quite a bit of weight already (more weight than my, 7-year-old, nephew weighs). However, I am still a big guy and feel for those who struggle...and sad for those who have given up. I wish I could give a word of support or encouragement, but don't know how to approach.

On the lighter side, folks at work and family members are witnessing the transformation. I attribute the success to MFP and many have joined. Has that happened to anyone else...?
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Well, if they werent "that guy" when it comes to being critical of my healthy eating, then I wouldnt have to be that guy when it comes to their unhealthy eating.

Yes, I find myself doing it, but only when its done to me. As a matter of fact, my sister did it to me this last week. She hounded me all day about my eating while she shoved her face with fatting and unhealthy foods. Im not saying Im better than her, but dont judge me if you dont want to be judged. If she chooses to be overweight (which she is) and unhealthy thats her business, just as much as being healthy and fit is mine.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but yes I do too. I hate it because I feel like I'm being so judgmental. I also get embarrassed when I think back to when that was ME. I'm sure people looked at what hubby and I ate and were grossed out. The other day I was at Starbucks getting a black ice tea, and there was a woman in front of me who was probably close to 300 pounds, and she walked away with a large frappacinno with whipped cream. Probably close to 1000 calories, but she probably will think she didn't eat much today. "I just had a coffee" many will think. I have great sympathy though too, as I know it's a struggle, and no matter how confident they look, I'm sure they are feeling bad and self conscience, and I'm sure for many there is an emotional trauma that has caused the gain. So I kind of start off judging/and then end feeling sympathetic and sad.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I judge people at Wal-Mart based on what they have in their cart. White bread, sugary cereals, frozen dinners, GATORADE, and ramen noodles. Srsly, I wouldn't judge if you had just ONE of those things (except for ramen noodles; I wouldn't wanna give that crap to the homeless). I've seen plenty of guys (who I assume are single) fill their buggy with fresh meat, a loaf of white bread, fruit, and bottled water.

Still, you have to understand that not everyone eats poorly by choice; some people are truly limited by their budget, ignorance, and distance.

The problem with that is, maybe they're like me and buy all their veggies at the farmers market? When I'm in the supermarket, I am generally only buying the small list of processed foods my family eats. That isn't ALL we eat, by far, however. I already have three bags full of fresh fruits and veggies in the car, because I'm not buying the pesticide-laden, overpriced stuff the grocery store carries. I'm not saying that all people who have a cart full of processed junk actually have a trunk full of healthy stuff too, but maybe, what you see isn't the whole story? It doesn't hurt to give the benefit of the doubt, in my opinion.
  • monica1515
    monica1515 Posts: 65
    Options
    I am a lifelong athlete with a Master's Degree in Exercise Physiology. All I judge, to their face, are my clients and that is because they are asking me for help and want to change. Otherwise, I refuse to expend energy on the way other's live their lives. It's a personal choice everyone makes for themself. I've work with athletes to improve their already stellar physical fitness all the way to obese clients who are over-eating while they are the caretaker for their dying mom or dad ... or because they were sexually abused as a child ... point being - you really don't know their struggles. Let's wise up folks.

* I really liked some of your responses back! This is only to the initial topic starter post, no one else's.