Healthiest milk?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    EcmoMom22 wrote: »
    The milk that you enjoy to drink. If you like 2% then drink it. Doesn't it only have 130 calories?

You can eat and drink what you like just as long as you're counting calories. Calories are king for weight loss.

I don't enjoy milk at all but I'm making myself start drinking it or at least using it with my shakes everyday.

I wouldn't waste calories on it then.

I do a smoothie in the morning quite often, and usually use cashew or almond milk (low cal, or if I make it myself, healthy fat) or else greek yogurt or some other sort of yogurt, or a combination. I like milk okay, but it's not really worth the calories for me.

If you want to compare based on calories, fat, carbs, etc. (although being lowest in those things is not the same thing as being healthiest), pull them on on MFP. Obviously skim is going to be lowest in fat and calories, most dairy milks are about the same in terms of carbs, skim will be slightly higher in protein (and per calories, of course).
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk is 30 calories and like 1g carb and 1g fat.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I like coconut milk as well as almond milk as alternatives, and use soy milk with my morning cereal each day for the prostate benefits. For cow's milk, I won't use anything lower than 2% -- and for yogurt, I eat a half cup whole milk (4%) Greek yogurt with berries and some granola for crunch every day as a snack.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    It depends on the almond milk. New Barn unsweetened is 90 calories for a cup, with 8 g of fat and 3 g of protein. I assume it's because it has more actual almonds in it, vs. being flavored with them only. Almonds are high in fat. Homemade cashew milk is similar, as you actually include the cashews.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Fairlife nonfat. 80 calories for 8 oz., 13g protein, 6g carbs and it doesn't taste thin/watery like regular nonfat milk.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Okay, let me rephrase that question then because that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.

Which milk choice is lowest in fat, calories, carbs etc. etc.?

Skim (fat free) milk is the lowest if you mean actual cow's milk. But Almond milk is even lower. You might give that a try since you don't like regular milk anyway.
  • JinjoJoey
    JinjoJoey Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cashew or almond milk, unsweetened but flavored with vanilla. So amazing in cereal and sooooooo much calorie savings. I haven't drank regular milk in about a year and I don't miss it at all. Cashew milk is soooo creamy and only 25 calories per cup versus 90 calories a cup of skim milk, or higher if you go with 1% or 2%. This was seriously one of my greatest discoveries, personally.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    full fat milk. Pasteurized or unpasteurized if you trust the source. Skip ultra-pasteurized. If you want less calories per volume, add water.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Soymilk.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk with my coffee and cereal but I use almond milk for everything else. The almond milk reduces calories for smoothies, oatmeal, cooking, protein shakes.
  • freakonaleash1995
    Options
    I personally don't drink cow milk, because it upsets my stomach. But almond milk is a good alternative that I like! It's about 60 calories per serving depending on which flavor you get.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Okay, let me rephrase that question then because that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.

Which milk choice is lowest in fat, calories, carbs etc. etc.?

Skim milk has the least fat, obvously. It has more protein per ounce than whole milk (whole milk is a misnomer, by the way - all commercial milk is skimmed then has fat added back to standardize the fat %, so really it should be called 4% fat milk or something.)

There isn't any "healthiest", just moving parts, I like skim milk on cereal but hardly ever eat cereal and everyone else in my house doesn't like skim, and it goes bad faster than milk with fat, so I don't buy it; it's impractical for my household.

You do need fat in your diet to be healthy. And variety.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    My personal preference for smoothies and cereals is cashew milk. It's a little richer and has a better flavor, plus it makes good ice cream.
    For recipes, 2% is usually the way to go for me. I don't like drinking plain milk, either, so I don't waste the calories on it.
    "Healthiest" is arbitrary. It's all about what you like and what fits in your goals. If you don't like regular milk, no need to drink it. I never do.
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you're not allergic to dairy then drink real milk, organic whole and unprocessed milk from a source where the animals are well looked after. Its good for you and your children and has the best calcium content compared to any other man made milk alternative. Anything that has undergone that kind of processing to be turned into a milk I personally feel is not healthy.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Fayecg89 wrote: »
    If you're not allergic to dairy then drink real milk, organic whole and unprocessed milk from a source where the animals are well looked after. Its good for you and your children and has the best calcium content compared to any other man made milk alternative. Anything that has undergone that kind of processing to be turned into a milk I personally feel is not healthy.

Do you know how nutmilks are made? Have you ever made them yourself? It's not really that much of a "process".
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

That is definitely an opinion but not really factual. Also, many nut based milks are fortified with calcium, often in greater quantities than cows milk.

Personally, I drink skim or 1% because whole milk taste like someone threw up in my milk. And the only good almond/soy milk that I find good are the flavored ones and at that point, it's not worth it because cows milk has more protein.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2016
    Options

Do you know how nutmilks are made? Have you ever made them yourself? It's not really that much of a "process".

I think I even mentioned upthread that I make them at home quite often, with almonds and cashews. It's actually something that's been part of European cooking (probably other places too, I just don't know about that) for centuries. It was an alternative to dairy during fasting days/seasons, among other things.

Skimming is also a long-practiced process and doesn't make milk "unreal," of course.

But then I also like cow's milk and goat's milk, yogurts made from them, and cheeses made from them (and sheep's milk too, for the cheeses). All processed in some way. If processing made foods not real, I guess cooking would be out too.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How does blending up a plant make it not healthy?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like silk unsweetened organic soy milk. Lower in calories and carbs than skim milk, but more protein and fat. I don't like the taste of cow milk, prefer soy...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

So, dumping nuts and water in a blender, blending and straining is unhealthy now? Most nut/soy milks are fortified, too.....