Healthiest milk?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm going to make three unorthodox suggestions.
    1. Half and half. It has the highest percentage of fat soluble vitamins. But take much less of it, like two tablespoons. That's 40 calories.
    2. High fat Greek Yogurt for the higher percentage protein and all those lovely probiotics.
    3. Kefir for the same reason. The yeast and bacteria in Kefir also consumes nearly all the lactose (natural milk sugar). I take my Kefir straight, in a shot glass.
  • Kristi26
    Kristi26 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I too prefer almond milk. But then, I'm also intolerant of cow's milk.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    1. Half and half. It has the highest percentage of fat soluble vitamins. But take much less of it, like two tablespoons. That's 40 calories.
    2. High fat Greek Yogurt for the higher percentage protein and all those lovely probiotics.
    3. Kefir for the same reason. The yeast and bacteria in Kefir also consumes nearly all the lactose (natural milk sugar). I take my Kefir straight, in a shot glass.

Shot glass , eh? Lol
  • jgnatca
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Shot glass , eh? Lol

Yep, wild woman, that's me.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Shot glass , eh? Lol

Yep, wild woman, that's me.

Yessss! Girl like me!!!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Kefir in a shot glass is the way to go. It's the best milk there is ;)
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Kefir in a shot glass is the way to go. It's the best milk there is ;)

Shot glass or go home!!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @queenliz99 I used the F... word this week. As a verb. I nearly swallowed my tongue trying to get it out.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    @queenliz99 I used the F... word this week. As a verb. I nearly swallowed my tongue trying to get it out.

Lol
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Almond Milk. My kids loves it too and he's 2. lol.
  • Missiz_B
    Missiz_B Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    EcmoMom22 wrote: »
    Okay, let me rephrase that question then because that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.

Which milk choice is lowest in fat, calories, carbs etc. etc.?

You should be able to find database entries for all types of milks in the MFP database so you can compare. Typically removing the fat from milk removes some of the calories.

If you don't enjoy milk at all though, don't assume you have to drink it. There are other ways to meet whatever nutritional need it's meeting for you and you may enjoy some of those more. It's worth considering. Life is too short to eat stuff you hate.

I need to use it to mix with my shakes, it's either milk or water and milk gives it just a tad better flavor than water but I wanted the least amount of anything nutritional wise. I'll look it up in the database if I have time and can figure it out.

I'm brand new here so I figured it'd be faster and easier to just ask here on the forum, I thought somebody would give me a direct answer.

You could try unsweetened cashew milk. It's higher in calcium and only about 25 calories per serving
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fayecg89 wrote: »
    If you're not allergic to dairy then drink real milk, organic whole and unprocessed milk from a source where the animals are well looked after. Its good for you and your children and has the best calcium content compared to any other man made milk alternative. Anything that has undergone that kind of processing to be turned into a milk I personally feel is not healthy.

Do you know how nutmilks are made? Have you ever made them yourself? It's not really that much of a "process".

really.....

http://markitonutrition.com/warning-harmful-chemicals-in-almond-milk/

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/
  • Fayecg89
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    If you're not allergic to dairy then drink real milk, organic whole and unprocessed milk from a source where the animals are well looked after. Its good for you and your children and has the best calcium content compared to any other man made milk alternative. Anything that has undergone that kind of processing to be turned into a milk I personally feel is not healthy.

That is definitely an opinion but not really factual. Also, many nut based milks are fortified with calcium, often in greater quantities than cows milk.

Personally, I drink skim or 1% because whole milk taste like someone threw up in my milk. And the only good almond/soy milk that I find good are the flavored ones and at that point, it's not worth it because cows milk has more protein.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/coconut-and-almond-milk-in-cartons-not-a-healthy-buy/
  • Fayecg89
    Options

Do you know how nutmilks are made? Have you ever made them yourself? It's not really that much of a "process".

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2015/oct/21/almond-milk-quite-good-for-you-very-bad-for-the-planet
  • Fayecg89
    Options

That is definitely an opinion but not really factual. Also, many nut based milks are fortified with calcium, often in greater quantities than cows milk.

Personally, I drink skim or 1% because whole milk taste like someone threw up in my milk. And the only good almond/soy milk that I find good are the flavored ones and at that point, it's not worth it because cows milk has more protein.

Do you have anything from the actual scientific community because these are all just blogs that fear monger?

The websites that you are quoting are from people who aren't scientist let along even educated in the field. Neither has a degree in anything science.

do you?!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Missiz_B wrote: »
    Okay, let me rephrase that question then because that's not exactly the answer I'm looking for.

Which milk choice is lowest in fat, calories, carbs etc. etc.?

You should be able to find database entries for all types of milks in the MFP database so you can compare. Typically removing the fat from milk removes some of the calories.

If you don't enjoy milk at all though, don't assume you have to drink it. There are other ways to meet whatever nutritional need it's meeting for you and you may enjoy some of those more. It's worth considering. Life is too short to eat stuff you hate.

I need to use it to mix with my shakes, it's either milk or water and milk gives it just a tad better flavor than water but I wanted the least amount of anything nutritional wise. I'll look it up in the database if I have time and can figure it out.

I'm brand new here so I figured it'd be faster and easier to just ask here on the forum, I thought somebody would give me a direct answer.

You could try unsweetened cashew milk. It's higher in calcium and only about 25 calories per serving

The funny thing is that if you make it yourself it's typically higher cal than this (because it contains the cashews) and of course much lower in calcium, because the calcium is there because added. I really like homemade -- delicious and healthy fats -- for how I tend to use it (in smoothies), but it all depends.

Store-bought almond and cashew milks (which I also use sometimes) are largely water, flavored with the nuts (you can find some with more nut in them, but then they are higher cal, like the New Barn I mentioned, because nuts are high cal) and then fortified with certain nutrients.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options

Do you have anything from the actual scientific community because these are all just blogs that fear monger?

The websites that you are quoting are from people who aren't scientist let along even educated in the field. Neither has a degree in anything science.

do you?!

What specifically would you like to discuss? There is a lot of blogs you have posted, so I want to make sure I address the question correctly.