Anyone tried the 'Eat Every Other Day' diet?

Options
therollingmils
therollingmils Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all,

Just curious as to whether anyone has tried the EEOD diet? I've seen a fair bit of information online about it. Don't think it's something I would like to do for a long time, but I can see it as a decent way of kick starting weight loss. If you exercise a lot I don't think it's suitable, but that's just my opinion.

For those of you that haven't heard anything about this before, basically you stick to your calorie goal on one day, and then the next day you eat below 500 calories, or some people don't eat at all. Then the next day you're back to your normal calorie goal, then repeat.

Any thoughts?

RM.

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've tried various different methods of intermittent fasting like this. The IF method that works wonderfully for me is 16:8, where you have a fasting window if 18 hrs and an eating window of 8 hrs. Having to stick to 500 or less 2-3 days per week is not easy for me, and caused me to obsess too much about food. The 16:8 method is easy enough for me to do everyday, with some exceptions for vacation or special occasions.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Just curious as to whether anyone has tried the EEOD diet? I've seen a fair bit of information online about it. Don't think it's something I would like to do for a long time, but I can see it as a decent way of kick starting weight loss. If you exercise a lot I don't think it's suitable, but that's just my opinion.

For those of you that haven't heard anything about this before, basically you stick to your calorie goal on one day, and then the next day you eat below 500 calories, or some people don't eat at all. Then the next day you're back to your normal calorie goal, then repeat.

Any thoughts?

RM.

I've considered and researched 5:2, which is similar (and pretty sustainable, I think, if you are someone it works for). You have it a little mixed up, though, as the idea is that you alternate maintenance and "fasting" days (the 500 calories, although some do more -- the idea is that it adds up to your overall deficit).

Trying to eat at a significant deficit and then alternating that with 500 calorie days WOULD be unsustainable and also not particularly healthful.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I did 5:2 and it was extremely suitable for a heavy exercise volume - training and recovering 5 days a week fully fuelled remember.
    It took me a while to acclimatise to fasted exercise on the two low days but eventually that felt perfectly "normal" too.
    Resulted in a slow, steady weight loss that didn't feel too onerous to stick to. Other people's experience will be different of course.

I do hope your Up Days / Dating Eays aren't also at a calorie deficit?

Alternate day dieting never appealed to me but would suggest researching the work of Dr Krista Varady if interested (or is that the plan you are referencing?). Far more rigorous and scientific approach than some of the other IF plans.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I wonder how that would affect digestion?? I definitely wouldn't recommend any day's of not eating at all- low calorie maybe, but not nothing!
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do ADF which is pretty much EODD. I workout 5 days a week (3 strength training/5 running) with no issues at all. Sometimes I do not eat on my down days. It just depends on how I feel in the evening when I would usually break my fast. Its actually a super easy rhythm to get into once you get through the first week or so. However as others mentioned you eat at maintenance (or up to 15% over) on your up days not at a deficit. I travel for work a lot, so not always having to stress on my high days over the exact calories in my food that someone else is preparing makes my life a lot easier.
  • pinboman
    pinboman Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've tried various different methods of intermittent fasting like this. The IF method that works wonderfully for me is 16:8, where you have a fasting window if 18 hrs and an eating window of 8 hrs. Having to stick to 500 or less 2-3 days per week is not easy for me, and caused me to obsess too much about food. The 16:8 method is easy enough for me to do everyday, with some exceptions for vacation or special occasions.

16 - 8 has helped me I have also done a 24 hour fast. I like I.T.
    If you are looking to kick start your weight loss it is imho worth a try.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    This is also called Intermittent fasting, but usually people eat at maintenance on non-fasting days.

This. And yes I did alternate day intermittent fasting for my initial weight loss phase and it worked well for me :)
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Oops, I just realized there's a typo in my earlier post! I meant to say that with 16:8 there is a 16 hr fasting window, and an 8 hr eating window. Sorry!
  • kelhea
    kelhea Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I think that would be a dangerous diet and would mess with your metabolism
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    kelhea wrote: »

Agreed. In short it's dangerous and only head to failure.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I did alternate day IF and I had great success with it-I lost around 50lbs and then had no problem transitioning into a non-IF maintenance plan, where I'm still at several years later. My blood work is fantastic now as well. If done correctly ADF (also known as JUDDD), can be a great weight loss method.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

5:2 is similar and a lot of people respond well to this way of eating...it doesn't mess up your metabolism. If you respond to this way of eating it's not headed to failure. There's nothing dangerous about it...you eat to maintenance on non fasting days and lower calorie on "fasted" days...usually somewhere between 500 - 1000 calories give or take and depending on what kind of deficit you are targeting.

So for me, if I was eating 3000 calories on my maintenance days and 1000 calories 2 days per week on my "fasted" days...essentially I have a 4,000 calorie deficit for the week...a little more than 1 Lb per week...so how would that be dangerous.

• endlessfall16
    Options

I did alternate day IF and I had great success with it-I lost around 50lbs and then had no problem transitioning into a non-IF maintenance plan, where I'm still at several years later. My blood work is fantastic now as well. If done correctly ADF (also known as JUDDD), can be a great weight loss method.

Fantastic for you. You had a lot of pounds to lose and I guess your days were more or less the same?

To me it's dangerous and needlessly difficult when a person assigns his/her deficit eating to an artificial schedule, ie doesn't correspond to activity requirement. I have days where I work, exercise much harder than other days -- don't we all? -- and a constant deficit like EEOD would destroy my body.

Again, if my days were mostly similar and had a lot of pounds to lose, it'd be ok.
  • Constant_Nova
    Constant_Nova Posts: 108 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Im no dieting expert so this is purely opinion....... I try to eat all of my meals before 8 pm, evening snack included. I usually dont get around to breakfast until about 10 am. sometimes later. I eat at my regular calorie goals targeted to lose 1.5 lbs pr week and it works for me. I guess some would say that this is a form of fasting? To me, by not eating any food or way less than your daily needs might help one to lose wieght very quickly. It sounds like a pretty sweet deal but when I think about loose skin and sagging etc, due to losing muscle and water vs. actual fat- I get turned off a little by the concept. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is....... (sorry for the buzz kill if this is your thing)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Fantastic for you. You had a lot of pounds to lose and I guess your days were more or less the same?

To me it's dangerous and needlessly difficult when a person assigns his/her deficit eating to an artificial schedule, ie doesn't correspond to activity requirement. I have days where I work, exercise much harder than other days -- don't we all? -- and a constant deficit like EEOD would destroy my body.

Again, if my days were mostly similar and had a lot of pounds to lose, it'd be ok.

In your previous post you implied that it is dangerous and would lead to failure, period.

That's not a sustainable way to eat for you - fine. Doesn't make it dangerous for everyone. And no, you don't necessarily have to have a lot of weight to lose to employ ADF or IF and be happy with it.

Different strokes.

Nothing wrong with your way, nothing wrong with this way.
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you want to do something that "kick starts" you - eat nothing but fresh, flash frozen, unprocessed foods. Fresh fruits and veggies and lean cuts of meat/poultry. I like to have a lot of fish - I notice the weeks that I have a lot of fish - at least 3 times a week are the weeks that I lose more. Shop the perimeter of the grocery store. I could never NOT eat - that's why I'm here!
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

5:2 is similar and a lot of people respond well to this way of eating...it doesn't mess up your metabolism. If you respond to this way of eating it's not headed to failure. There's nothing dangerous about it...you eat to maintenance on non fasting days and lower calorie on "fasted" days...usually somewhere between 500 - 1000 calories give or take and depending on what kind of deficit you are targeting.

So for me, if I was eating 3000 calories on my maintenance days and 1000 calories 2 days per week on my "fasted" days...essentially I have a 4,000 calorie deficit for the week...a little more than 1 Lb per week...so how would that be dangerous.

Not the same thing.

Quoted OP "basically you stick to your calorie goal on one day, and then the next day you eat below 500 calories, or some people don't eat at all. Then the next day you're back to your normal calorie goal, then repeat."

---

I am also following a form of fasting but I correspond the fasting and what not to level of activities. Not blind fasting.