Keto saved me!

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Congrats on finding a plan that allows you to eat at a deficit. Glad you are getting results in the early stages. Keep it up.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @socalepidemik1904, congratulations on finding a way of eating that works for you. Job well done. :)

However, I agree with those who say in the end that the reason this plan works for you is because you have created a calorie deficit. There really is no real magic in this way of eating or any other way of eating. The only magic of any dietary plan is the magic we give it.

To all who have spoken about such quick weight loss: remember, along with quick weight loss comes the loss of muscle mass as well. You lose some muscle mass when losing weight, but it pays to eat more to slow down your weight loss so that you can keep as much as you can.
  • RobPA1
    RobPA1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Keto people, look up Butter Bob on youtube, he has really helped me. I have lost 40lbs since May. No hunger, no extra exercise. He will explain to you why Keto works, and help you like none other. His earlier videos are best. Especially "Butter makes your pants fall off!"
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,396 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    RobPA1 wrote: »
    Bonny132 wrote: »
    I eat at this "keto fad" 35lbs down and that is not just down to calorie restriction, it is down to me feeling satiated, never starving, looking forward to my meals, enjoying my food, no bloating, and because the food fills me up, I naturally eat less. My body tells me when to stop eating. Therefore I do not need to count the calories.

Traditional CICO left me with cravings, I was starving, obsessed with food and calories and felt miserable. Keto for me is something I feel is easy to stick with and enjoyable.

If your "diet" is hard to stick with, you are setting yourself up to fail. Loosing weight is all about finding a plan that suits you and your lifestyle.

Although I agree that a keto diet seems to be working for you, I want to clarify the bolded portion of your post.

CICO is not a diet plan.

CICO is the scientific principle on which ALL diet plans are based. Even keto. If you lose weight on a keto diet, it is only because you've reduced the CI (Calories In) portion of the equation. And any diet plan will only allow a person to lose weight if the CI they are consuming is less than the CO (Calories Out.) :)

Not 100% accurate, you have to factor insulin into the equation. If your body stores the calories or burns them is dependent on insulin.

Insulin doesn't prevent fat loss. It inhibits lipolysis but doesn't stop it. And Dr. Fueng makes claims without actual research to prove his theories. If insulin played a huge role, then vegans would all be obese.

OP, good job on the weight loss. Also, you probably won't see such huge losses going forward. When you first go keto, your body will deplete glycogen/water. And when going on a diet and reducing calories, you will reduce things like GI waste. It's why it's very easy to lose 5 or more lbs when you first start dieting.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    RobPA1 wrote: »
    Bonny132 wrote: »

For example, I'm a 60+ year old post-menopausal female with Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The combination of these factors affects the CO side of the equation for me - but does not negate the principle of CICO. Nor would any physical condition (short of death) render CICO invalid.

The trick is in finding out what your particular Calories In/Calories Out balance is in order to achieve your weight management goals. :)

This is just plain not true. CI/CO is an oversimplification. Insulin and in particular an individual's level of insulin resistance is a huge factor.

Example: I maintained 1700 cal a day for 6 months, lost maybe 1-2 lbs a month. Switched to Keto (LCHF) and I have dropped 40 lbs in the next 6 months. Amount of calories the same, macros changed dramatically.

I'm not trying to argue here, but once I realized what was going on with my obese body, and corrected it, I began to shed lbs. This guy, Bob Briggs, is no Dr., but he explains things very well. He lost over 100 lbs with keto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sAqy1lnWXo

Look up insulin resistance on youtube, or anywhere else, it's a real eye opener.

Good luck to everyone!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10436946/are-all-calories-equal-part-2-kevins-halls-new-study#latest

If you want to argue it, you can look at the above thread. Also, if the OP has insulin resistance, it's possible that keto would work because but it's not because it defies CICO. Those with IR/PCOS tend to have lower metabolic rates when associated with high levels of carbohydrates.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    New study out shows that insulin sensitivity on high protein diet may not be as good as originally thought for diabetes/heart health and may cause issues after weight loss.

http://time.com/4526448/high-protein-diet-weight-loss-insulin/

• psuLemon
    Options
    Well done on the loss and it's great you've found what works for you. You have lost weight because you have reduced your calories and are eating in a deficit not because of the macronutrient break down or because Keto is magic.

I think what is nice about keto, whole 30, paleo, vegetarianism, veganism, pescatarianism, etc... is you get a built in community to support you, and for many of these diets, you see results so quickly. It becomes inspiring. While part of it very well may be caloric restriction, there is something to be said for people being able to eat the fun stuff (bacon) but still feel like they're "being compliant." I lost a ton of weight with Whole30, but I do realize that much of that was caloric restriction. Perhaps there were some aesthetic bonuses like less bloating, but ultimately, cutting out hidden sugars did cut out additional calories.

Also, anyone who doesn't do it yet, meal prepping is incredible. It makes all of the things I listed above pretty easy, and you never feel confused about what you need or what you are allowed to eat. You can also spend 3 hours on one day and 3 minutes every other day. Portioning in those containers also makes it super simple to eat 4oz or 6 oz of meat instead of... "eh I made it. Might as well finish ALL OF IT!!!!"

Whole 30 resulted in a 33 lb loss for my beau and a 15 lb loss for me. My beau is in the 200's. I'm 5'10 and was 150, so 15 lbs. loss for me is pretty dang impressive since I am already living in the world of a "healthy BMI" and my caloric intake for weight loss is lower.

That's great that you get support from the "community" of whatever diet/fad/cult/lifestyle you follow but at the end of the day you could literally eat any food, stick to your calorie goal and lose the weight. Most of these "diets" involve cutting out 1 or more whole food groups which some would argue is not optimal for health.

Personally a mix of lean meats, complex carbs, vegetables, healthy fats combined with fast food, desserts and "bad food" help me stay committed to my goal.

LOL cult. You're being a tad hyperbolic.

I AGREE with you that CICO works. You're right. However, people that struggle with food struggle with portions, understanding what a calorie is, understanding what to eat, think, buy, many struggle with cooking and haven't properly cooked a meal in ages (microwave life). If a community gives you clear guidelines, recipes, tools and support, people are more bought in. This isn't the food science part. This is the human psychology part.

Honestly, I think tons of people get to where you are and eat a balanced diet with all food groups. For sure. However, I think many people that are overweight find out how to do that with a system because they need to break years of bad habits OR simply form habits around food. Again, you're right- CICO works. Also, some people do argue that taking out a food group is bad. Then again, I know plenty of healthy vegans or healthy folks on keto or people that helped their heart issues and things with pescatarianism... whatever. People can eat in different ways AND be healthy. People have done it for AGES because the same food is only very recently "available everywhere." The food pyramid is literally a lie, and people need to figure out how to find balance in their lives based on their needs. This isn't clear and easy, and even medical professionals aren't truly sure about everything. We learn new things- sometimes contradictory things- each year.

Yes, people should eat a balanced diet with all food groups- for the most part. However, many people get there through having to change their food habits and their relationship with food. This seems to be easier when people are given guidelines. It's a good example of why Weight Watchers (here are your points, your weekly weigh in and a variety of foods to choose from) is the only on-the-market diet system that works for people. It's not Weight Watchers that's working- it's accountability, CICO and a community.

These are just my thoughts. It's funny- I am not even keto or anything. I eat exactly like you do. I'm not "afraid" of bread, sugars or carbs. I eat dessert. Etc. Etc.

PS: I am not trying to put down your ideas. I just want to provide the perspective of why people would find so much success in diets that provide clear guidelines. (I also think it has to do with the emphasis on meal prepping because there is a strong component of "cook your own stuff" and very clear impulse control.)

Well said. People tend to make judgements about something they don't understand. And I am also a rather high carber.
  • ponyvillalobos
    ponyvillalobos Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Can somebody tell me what "keto" is? Thanks!
  • karl317
    karl317 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Another keto success story here as well. This is the only way I can eat and not have insane cravings. That sugar stuff is a helluva drug.

125lb gone, been eating at maintenance for several months. I have no intention of ever stopping. This is how I always want to eat.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!