Fed up with sugar?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do Oreos have added fiber? If not, they should ;)
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/does-the-movie-fed-up-make-sense/

Conclusion

The film’s thesis, that sugar has caused the obesity epidemic, is not well supported by evidence. It is a partial truth that the filmmakers have dogmatically represented as the whole truth, with nary a hint of nuance. And it’s not fair to demonize the food industry. It has done a lot of good by providing a greater variety of safer food to more people for lower prices. We must share the responsibility for their shortcomings, because their less healthy offerings were created in response to public demand, and large numbers of people have chosen to buy those products because they don’t know any better.

The film will undoubtedly do some good by helping raise public awareness of childhood obesity and of hidden sugars in processed foods. I only wish it could have done so without misrepresenting the facts and without the bias and hype in support of the filmmakers’ political agenda of increasing food regulation. I try to eat a healthy diet, but I enjoy an occasional sugary treat and fast food meal, and I appreciate the convenience of packaged, processed foods when I don’t have a lot of time to shop and cook. I see no compelling reason to think it is impossible for people to lose weight on a diet that is overall nutritious and calorie controlled but that allows small amounts of even the “worst” foods.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do Oreos have added fiber? If not, they should ;)

As this could potentially limit the number of Oreos I could safely eat, I do not approve of this plan! lol
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Could we get a TL/DW?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Could we get a TL/DW?

Layne Norton video blog equivalent of an MFP sugar thread, except more informative and less entertaining.

Yeah, PhD's tend to suck the fun out of topics. ;)

• Wetcoaster
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »

Conclusion

The film’s thesis, that sugar has caused the obesity epidemic, is not well supported by evidence. It is a partial truth that the filmmakers have dogmatically represented as the whole truth, with nary a hint of nuance. And it’s not fair to demonize the food industry. It has done a lot of good by providing a greater variety of safer food to more people for lower prices. We must share the responsibility for their shortcomings, because their less healthy offerings were created in response to public demand, and large numbers of people have chosen to buy those products because they don’t know any better.

The film will undoubtedly do some good by helping raise public awareness of childhood obesity and of hidden sugars in processed foods. I only wish it could have done so without misrepresenting the facts and without the bias and hype in support of the filmmakers’ political agenda of increasing food regulation. I try to eat a healthy diet, but I enjoy an occasional sugary treat and fast food meal, and I appreciate the convenience of packaged, processed foods when I don’t have a lot of time to shop and cook. I see no compelling reason to think it is impossible for people to lose weight on a diet that is overall nutritious and calorie controlled but that allows small amounts of even the “worst” foods.

I don't think you're replying to what you think you're replying to.

Yes I do. I was just adding information.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Conclusion

I don't think you're replying to what you think you're replying to.

Yes I do. I was just adding information.

Gotcha. Thought you were shooting down Fed Up, thinking that's what I'd posted.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Could we get a TL/DW?

Layne Norton video blog equivalent of an MFP sugar thread, except more informative and less entertaining.

and less derpy
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    leajas1 wrote: »
    bphv5dyn3i8b.jpg

Where?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Could we get a TL/DW?

Thanks!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    @Carlos_421 Universal Studios, Springfield USA!! Lard Lad Donuts, my friend.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I know where my next vacation will be.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    you can get one like that at Round Rock Donuts in Round Rock Texas (just north of Austin) - it's only $6.99!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    you can get one like that at Round Rock Donuts in Round Rock Texas (just north of Austin) - it's only $6.99!

Will they serve it with Butter Beer?
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    Fat used to be Dietary Enemy No. 1. Today, it’s sugar. But reductions in the consumption of both have done little to curb obesity rates. Why?

http://undark.org/article/in-the-fight-against-obesity-the-real-enemy-is-oversimplification/
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely no fan of sugar, at least not outside of reasonable moderation. I wholeheartedly believe that it is one of the single most causes of the obesity epidemic.