Runners...how many calories do you eat on a very long run day?!

Options
2»

Replies

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I tend to include overall weekly miles in my goal, and not eat more on days I run (although I do tend to eat more on the weekend and do my long run then anyway).

As for calories from running, I think the RW calculator is pretty accurate (I find runkeeper and even MFP worked okay for me too). Unlike some other forms of exercise, it's not that hard to estimate running reasonably accurately based on time, distance, and weight.

The RW calculator recommends .75 x weight in lbs for overall calories per mile or -- more significant -- .63 x weight in lbs for calories burned in addition to what you would have burned in that time period anyway (this is quite close to the common rule of thumb that for someone around 150 1 mile=100 calories).*

*That was always the rule I knew (without the 150 bit) and when I was fatter I probably underestimated, as a result, and when I lost enough that I burned less than 100 calories per mile it made me sad, even though I was running more at that point. ;-)

I use this calculator to estimate what I burn on my long runs, but I generally don't eat much of them until the next couple of days.

I'm training for a marathon so my long runs are up around 15 miles and increasing now. I run early on Sunday morning and then on Sunday I eat what I feel like I need to eat (eat when hungry until I'm full), but end up under eating. But then on Monday and sometimes Tuesday I'm super hungry even though Monday is a rest day and Tuesday is usually ~4 miles. I guess my body just takes some time to realize it needs more fuel :)

For the week total my deficit is the same as if I was not running (I'm set to lose about 0.5 lb per week) - I just eat very different amounts on different days.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It will depend on the person...

I am at a healthy weight for my height but aim for a very slight deficit. Did a half marathon on Saturday, ate about 2250 vs TDEE for the day (per Fitbit) of 2800. Normally I aim for a 200-300 deficit at most

For what its worth, I'm slow so could not do 15+ miles in 2 hours. :) Maybe some day?
    I am talking about 90min-120min+ runs... 15+ miles.

Also, this is assuming you're still eating at a deficit to lose weight.

• my58vw
    my58vw Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The problem with most of the posts here if you are not taking into account weight, and more importantly actual intensity in the calorie burn. There is a huge difference between (using cycling) race pace (25+ MPH avg, with spurts of 30+ MPH and hard efforts), club riding (20MPH Avg, fewer spurts), and lower pace riding. The only way to get a true calorie count is to use a power meter on a bike. For running, the same thing applies, and using something like a fit fit, and eating some fraction (60 - 75%) of the total will give good results (if trying to lose weight).

To give you an idea, I am 308 pounds, and I burn about 500 calories per hour at 20MPH Avg on a bike (per my power meter), or about 1000 - 1500 on a typical club weekend ride. A friend of mine who is 190 pounds burns about 900 700 - 900 calories for the same ride. It is all relative... and you have to find out what works for you.

One last thing... you need to watch carefully how your body feels after a workout... if you feel hungry, or like crap you really need to eat more.

* Reference - 6 years as a cat 1 competitive cyclist, and 20+ years as a recreational cyclist *
  • powered85
    powered85 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    According to my hrm I burn around 900 calories per hour. That's with a 4:17/km pace so fairly fast
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I haven't run long in a year, but probably around 9-10k in calories.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I tend to include overall weekly miles in my goal, and not eat more on days I run (although I do tend to eat more on the weekend and do my long run then anyway).

As for calories from running, I think the RW calculator is pretty accurate (I find runkeeper and even MFP worked okay for me too). Unlike some other forms of exercise, it's not that hard to estimate running reasonably accurately based on time, distance, and weight.

The RW calculator recommends .75 x weight in lbs for overall calories per mile or -- more significant -- .63 x weight in lbs for calories burned in addition to what you would have burned in that time period anyway (this is quite close to the common rule of thumb that for someone around 150 1 mile=100 calories).*

*That was always the rule I knew (without the 150 bit) and when I was fatter I probably underestimated, as a result, and when I lost enough that I burned less than 100 calories per mile it made me sad, even though I was running more at that point. ;-)

That RW formula is actually really, really close (3 calories different) to what my Fitbit Charge 2 is giving me for this morning's run. Very cool.
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    15+ miles in 2hrs, gosh I wish I was that fast! I can only manage 11(at a push) in that time.

It depends on how hungry I feel, sometimes I will eat most of my calorie burn estimate on my Garmin and other times I won't.
  • Tuala42
    Tuala42 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My long runs are Sunday mornings (training for a half marathon), with 4-5 mile runs during the week. I generally eat a little extra on Friday and Saturday, then don't eat back all the calories that I've burned on Sunday. My stomach doesn't feel very good if I try and eat back all those calories after a long run.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    If I do my 10+ mile runs, probably 4-6k kcals for the day.
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    On my very long run days (which I consider 15+ miles) I'll eat whatever I want for dinner and not log it. For me, that's never been a problem weight-wise. I am mindful, though, especially since I tend to be super hungry a couple days after my long run, so I always get back to tracking the next morning.

On my shorter runs, I do as many others have said and go by what my Fitbit estimates, which for me averages about 100 calories per mile.

ETA: Re-reading this I have no idea why I track what I eat on 13 mile days but not 15 mile days. Doesn't make much sense now that I'm looking at it. *shrug*
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't count calories on my long run days, including any carb chews I use during the run itself. I try not to gorge myself afterward, not always successfully, but I don't feel too guilty afterward either for that giant apple fritter. Part of the reason I run so much is to be able to enjoy some food and quantities of that food that I couldn't if I didn't run, and it's only one day out of the week.