No more wine time for this little drunk duck

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    I've heard that alcoholism is a self diagnosed disease. If you think you have a problem, you have a problem. You are the only one who can make that diagnosis.
  • ChelsiH1993
    ChelsiH1993 Posts: 3 Member
    I quit drinking for 6 months and consequently lost about 10 pounds. Started drinking alcohol again recently put back on 10 pounds.
    It's crazy How much A bottle of alcohol really contains. If you check the calories sugar etc. it really throws your budget off if you drink a whole bottle. I would say in my case it is impossible to continue drinking and lose weight at the same time
  • medic933
    medic933 Posts: 8 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    medic933 wrote: »
    As a recovering addict, clean 6+ years, I can tell you that insomnia after stopping alcohol or drugs is an issue.

Yes, although I was lucky enough that my sleep seemed reasonably normal after a month or two (and for many it is less). I was scared of sleeping medication (bizarrely, I've always been scared of sleeping medication even back when I thought it was normal to drink myself to sleep nightly -- no, I wouldn't have mixed them), and didn't want to risk messing up my sleep more, so I didn't take anything. I've since read a decent amount about the issue and how it can mess with recovery -- some people can't take not sleeping for days or barely sleeping and the desperation to sleep results in a relapse, so I'd probably advise anyone worried about the issue to seek help from a doctor or try something like melatonin, maybe.

I wasn't saying not to take it if needed. I was just saying be careful with it. I agree that Melatonin is great.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    EttaMaeMartin Posts: 303 Member
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I've heard that alcoholism is a self diagnosed disease. If you think you have a problem, you have a problem. You are the only one who can make that diagnosis.

so very true..... you did not cause it, cannot control it, and their is no cure for it. the person drinking HAS TO WANT HIT FOR HIM/HERSELF.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    As a recovering addict, clean 6+ years, I can tell you that insomnia after stopping alcohol or drugs is an issue.

Yes, although I was lucky enough that my sleep seemed reasonably normal after a month or two (and for many it is less). I was scared of sleeping medication (bizarrely, I've always been scared of sleeping medication even back when I thought it was normal to drink myself to sleep nightly -- no, I wouldn't have mixed them), and didn't want to risk messing up my sleep more, so I didn't take anything. I've since read a decent amount about the issue and how it can mess with recovery -- some people can't take not sleeping for days or barely sleeping and the desperation to sleep results in a relapse, so I'd probably advise anyone worried about the issue to seek help from a doctor or try something like melatonin, maybe.

I wasn't saying not to take it if needed. I was just saying be careful with it. I agree that Melatonin is great.

Oh, I didn't think you were. Just adding my own thoughts and how they've evolved over the years, since I would have been scared to take anything.
  • rcktgirl05
    rcktgirl05 Posts: 87 Member

Wholeheartedly disagree here. My mother is a hard core alcoholic, appears to have cirrhosis but is in denial about it, and thinks that the family comments about her drinking are our own problem. Her mother was a falling down, sleeping in her own vomit kind of alcoholic so in my mother's mind I believe that she feels she doesn't meet that "criteria" so therefore she does not have a problem. Sometimes, denial is one of the biggest problems, when it is obvious to everyone around you. My mother truly believes that she can stop drinking to drunkenness every night at any time she wishes, she just doesn't want to.

Throughout this topic I see people in denial. If you can't stop and have no self control, you have a problem. For me I behaved this way with food and I'm working through it. When I decided to start losing weight, I was addicted to soda and had at least two cans a day or more. I love the taste of Dr Pepper, and I still do! But... I committed to my weight loss goals and I cut it out cold turkey. I don't think I can ever phase it back in because I know it will creep back up to my old habit. For me, nothing but water, tea and black coffee until I reach my goal. If I had control issues with alcohol I would do the same thing!

• mairesile
    mairesile Posts: 26 Member
    God trying being from Ireland where drinking is the national pastime lol

I feel now I in my 30s and2 kids later I have to reduce the wine intake

I'm losing nothing and lime that one glass can lead to the whole bottle

In my 20s I got away with the weekly binge

Now the vino has crept in and the bad habits that go with it means I've put up weight and am not losing.

My plan is to stop drinking at home and just gave it for going out and with 2 kids in only out occasionly
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    well, I am proud of all of you who try. I LOVE MY WINE!........ LOVE MY WINE. enjoy my wine. and just work it off. WINE FOR ME!
  • vanessaaorth717
    vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
    @mairesile ; That's a good plan. Are you going to start ASAP? I started in August and I've had maybe 2 bottles of wine since then. Really amazed by how much easier it gets after the first few weeks. If I can do it ANYONE CAN! Like Ireland, Australia is very much a nation of drinkers and drinking too!
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited October 2016
    Australia has a really laid back drinking culture which makes it harder to give up/drink less when out with mates. Every chill out after work, bday get together, public holiday or celebration just about always involves a lot of alcohol, which is tough when you're restricting your calorie intake. When it comes to wine, I tend to find that I won't drink as much if I only buy expensive wines and log them before i drink. With things like box wines (Goon) people tend to over indulge and the calories are shocking, so unless I'm having a large party, i stick to expensive wine, 1 bottle a week, 1 glass after a meal. If i want to get drunk with friends I drink spirits in shots or mixed with sugar free soda or cordials as it ends up being less calories. My poison is probably absolut peach. I have a bottle I've been saving for halloween. I've estimated how much I will drink and I will make sure I have the calories to spare =)

As for alcoholism. I don't think there are a bunch of people here in denial XD. Unless you know their actual situation you can't really make that assumption as if it's fact, based on them saying they go over calories by consuming alcohol... just wow. If they've stated that it's affecting their life, relationships or income and If they're drinking more than a few times a week and more than 1-2 standard drinks then perhaps they should probably seek advice from a professional but they need to want to make that move.

Consuming too many calories doesn't automatically = addiction and cold turkey doesn't always fix the issue at heart. For some people they just need to educate themselves on basic nutrition which means trail and error.

Lastly demonizing where you get your calories from doesn't always fix the problem, in many cases people are just following a diet trend which is always a laugh. Going cold turkey on something probably isn't necessary with most things unless someone is actually an addict and this has been advised by a professional.

https://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/ Here's an interesting read on myths/lies spread by demonizing foods. There are some good research links.

• mairesile
    mairesile Posts: 26 Member
    @vanessaaorth717 no Friday wine last night and next night out is not til 30th of October although will be hard to resist if hubby comes home with a bottle

I'm fine if I could just stick to a glass
  • vanessaaorth717
    vanessaaorth717 Posts: 44 Member
    @mairesile That's my issue too. The two bottles I had over the past few months were consumed one bottle at a time in single sittings! It's easier for me to just not have any. I liken it to opening a packet of chips or lollies. Realistically, you're not just going to have one and happily stop (well not me anyhow
  • landscapearch
    landscapearch Posts: 3 Member
    Return2Fit wrote: »
    Soooo after a gain in pure lard of about 25kgs over a few years and many bottles of white wine, my journey to sobriety is beginning. So far I've cut back to weekends but Peter, Paul and Mary, if there's a bottle in my house, no drop will go unfinished. How do you 'control' your alcohol intake? What's your poison and do you think there's ANY chance of losing weight, exercising, calorie controlling AND drinking plenty?! Help!
    I mostly gave up booze, beer and all other type alcohol.

I'll have a glass of wine with a nice meal, but that is it. We're talking once a month...
    Booze to me represent empty, body killing calories, and you can now COUNT ME OUT of that tribe.
    My health and fitness goals are more to me than the fleeting pleasures of junk foods, including booze...

I follow the same philosophy when it pertains to drinking. I may have one drink every 3 months but that is about it. I am probably much older than the author so I do not party like I did when I was in my college years.
    Alcohol not only contributes to weight gain but it prevents one from getting a good night sleep, which is necessary to feel rested and energized.
  • EttaMaeMartin
    Australia has a really laid back drinking culture which makes it harder to give up/drink less when out with mates. Every chill out after work, bday get together, public holiday or celebration just about always involves a lot of alcohol, which is tough when you're restricting your calorie intake. When it comes to wine, I tend to find that I won't drink as much if I only buy expensive wines and log them before i drink. With things like box wines (Goon) people tend to over indulge and the calories are shocking, so unless I'm having a large party, i stick to expensive wine, 1 bottle a week, 1 glass after a meal. If i want to get drunk with friends I drink spirits in shots or mixed with sugar free soda or cordials as it ends up being less calories. My poison is probably absolut peach. I have a bottle I've been saving for halloween. I've estimated how much I will drink and I will make sure I have the calories to spare =)

As for alcoholism. I don't think there are a bunch of people here in denial XD. Unless you know their actual situation you can't really make that assumption as if it's fact, based on them saying they go over calories by consuming alcohol... just wow. If they've stated that it's affecting their life, relationships or income and If they're drinking more than a few times a week and more than 1-2 standard drinks then perhaps they should probably seek advice from a professional but they need to want to make that move.

Consuming too many calories doesn't automatically = addiction and cold turkey doesn't always fix the issue at heart. For some people they just need to educate themselves on basic nutrition which means trail and error.

Lastly demonizing where you get your calories from doesn't always fix the problem, in many cases people are just following a diet trend which is always a laugh. Going cold turkey on something probably isn't necessary with most things unless someone is actually an addict and this has been advised by a professional.

https://authoritynutrition.com/11-biggest-lies-of-mainstream-nutrition/ Here's an interesting read on myths/lies spread by demonizing foods. There are some good research links.

no one can diagnose an alcoholic, but self. you can think someone is or needs help, but they and they alone have to make that decision. straight from the BIG BOOK OF A.A. you did not cause it, can't cure it and absolutely can't control it. it is a cunning, powerful and baffling disease. i only speak what is true for me. i am a 10 year recovering alcoholic. J
  • EttaMaeMartin
    rcktgirl05 wrote: »

Wholeheartedly disagree here. My mother is a hard core alcoholic, appears to have cirrhosis but is in denial about it, and thinks that the family comments about her drinking are our own problem. Her mother was a falling down, sleeping in her own vomit kind of alcoholic so in my mother's mind I believe that she feels she doesn't meet that "criteria" so therefore she does not have a problem. Sometimes, denial is one of the biggest problems, when it is obvious to everyone around you. My mother truly believes that she can stop drinking to drunkenness every night at any time she wishes, she just doesn't want to.

Throughout this topic I see people in denial. If you can't stop and have no self control, you have a problem. For me I behaved this way with food and I'm working through it. When I decided to start losing weight, I was addicted to soda and had at least two cans a day or more. I love the taste of Dr Pepper, and I still do! But... I committed to my weight loss goals and I cut it out cold turkey. I don't think I can ever phase it back in because I know it will creep back up to my old habit. For me, nothing but water, tea and black coffee until I reach my goal. If I had control issues with alcohol I would do the same thing!

if they are truly an alcoholic, they cannot just quit on their own. they may be able to quit for a few, but will start all over again, unless they seek help. doctors are no good, they have no answer no cure. the only option with a way to stay in remission daily, for me is AA. also you cannot tell an alcoholic anything, but if it comes from another alcoholic who knows their pain then it can have an impact. jmo jennifer 10 years sober thanks to AA, still daily.

• saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Simply put - I don't control my alcohol intake. I just control my food more strictly when I drink. I'd rather have alcohol for dinner some nights than food, so that's what I do. lol

I can see the value of that proposal (lol!), but how did that work out for you 6 months later?
  • Anonymous_fiend
    Anonymous_fiend Posts: 196 Member
    Moderation. On vacation I gained 5lbs mostly from drinking. Now I limit it to outside of the house/special occasions. I feel you when you said alcohol inside the house will be drunk. I used to do that and am now focusing why I want alcohol instead. But if I want it and it fits my calories indulge a bit too. Also switched to drinking more tea/water/diet soda. If I want drink I drink 1 or 2 glasses those first. Usually its enough to get me to not drink. I'm also concerned about my health/looks and alcohol causes not only cancer but skin problems too.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    I always abstain when I want to lose weight, typically in Jan and Feb. It helps every time, and I gain some mental clarity, which is great.

I am sure it's possible to lose weight while drinking daily, but I have a hard enough time controlling my eating as it is, throw in a bit of the juice and I'm half way gone!

Due to the way alcohol is metabolized in the liver, I would suggest that you drink only a fraction of your exercise calories in a particular day. This should keep it in check (presuming you can control it suffiently).

My suggestion is to find something that gives you pleasure to replace it with. A small square of dark chocolate does it for me (clearly, I'm easy to please). I hear some people really like bubble baths. Watching TV or reading could work. I wouldn't turn to other drugs for obvious reasons.

I find it helps to take a moment at bedtime to congratulate myself for whatever I've accomplished that day, including eating intentionally, abstaining, exercising, accomplishing goals, having good interpersonal interactions, whatever. Add to that some visualization in the morning (e.g., "I am going to eat intentionally, abstain, and go to the gym today") and your life can really change.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Yep- same here..If the bottle is in the house, I'll have that glass or 2 with dinner that may or may not fit into my calories. Same as snacks fro me - can't keep them in the house. A serving or 2 when I'm out - but if it's in the house it will get eaten/drinken while relaxing in front of the TV. (Fortunately, I usually burn the calories off dancing if I drink while out...if I'm at a bar it's usually for swing, salsa, or tango).
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    I still have a glass or two 2-3 times a week, but I cannot drink as much as I could 70 lbs ago. And I suspect this will only get worse. So I have slowed down and will slow down further. I just enjoy it too much to give it up completely.

I mostly drink home made wine so I do drink from a box, so it isn't an issue that I opened a bottle and need to finish it.