For those losing...how to fall/stay asleep? Pee every few hours during night, also wired feeling.

Options
I know this has been discussed before but curious if anyone has found a true remedy. i've tried wine in the past which obviously exacerbates the problem, low carb, high carb, etc. It always happens if I run the smallest deficit. I lost a lot of weight years ago and as a results just accepted the fact I would always sleep like s***. It all started when I began dieting and sometimes can turn into night eating syndrome, especially days i am able to go to bed in a deficit, so I don't keep anything in the house I would try to eat. However, after a few days now of bad sleep when I'm in a small deficit, I end up eating more before bed (I'm talking brussels sprouts, chicken and salsa but healthy food is STILL food). I ruin the deficit. I did this last night and after sleeping 5-6 hours most of this week, I slept for almost 9! I would just like to sleep through the night and no herbs like passionflower have worked. Sometimes I take unisom but am still so devastated. I don't want to not sleep but i'm so tired of gaining/maintaining. Anyone who has experience with this and has found a remedy or just sucks up chronically functioning on 5 hours please post. :(

Replies

• charlenekapf
    charlenekapf Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    BTW I lost weight years ago, gained it all back, am a size 12 now...was a size 2-4 a year ago.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    I figured the alcohol was bad but it did help me last year to lose some of the weight I regained as it helped me unwind but then I would wake up and couldn't sleep after 2-3 hrs.

I get hungry before bed but my deficit is so small that I really can't afford to eat anything. I do intermittent fasting to help have less hunger but once I break it, I still can't keep my calories low enough.

I admit I am type a and do stress but I'm not thinking about anything by that time..just trying to sleep so I guess that is my stress. I've tried kava, passionflower, gaba, etc. Nothing really works.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I suggest better choices to fill you up. Maybe open your diary?
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    Also I've had bloodwork done...things come out normal according to Dr. some hormone /thyroid issues but even on thyroid medication which helped me to lose some of the regained weight a year ago did not help sleep. And it gave me heart pains so I had to go off of it because it turned me slightly hyperthyroid...also made me ravenous so I eventually regained and went off the medication.

Not diabetic, A1C within normal range, etc.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Drink more of your water early in the day to avoid using the bathroom at night. The dinner that you shared didn't have much fat, you may want to consider adding some fat to your dinner.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    @charlenekapf - What is your height and weight? How much are you trying to lose?
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Maybe try counting your calories starting at night so you have enough to eat and feel satisfied? For example start you day tracking with your nighttime snack and then breakfast/lunch and dinner the next day and make dinner your last meal in the 24 hour block....does this make sense?? Either that or plan day ahead of time so you can have a snack at bedtime...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    Options
    Ok...I am still not understanding your issue?

Your food diary is set to private so I can't really look at it and make any suggestions. If you are hungry and that's why you can't sleep, maybe your deficit is too large. Without a lengthy (like a couple months) logging record there is no way for you to know if that is the case. Figure out your daily needs and subtract 250 (or use this site and choose "Lose 1/2 pound per week.") Then log your food for two months. See if you lose or gain or stay the same. Adjust accordingly.

Good bedtime snack is something with protein. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, glass of milk, egg and toast. Something with protein.
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    I've tried that. I think even the water in the vegetables makes me pee. I had 3 servings of nut butter at my earlier meal for dinner so I was already pushing the higher calories. IF definitely makes me hungry once I break the fast. Although i prefer it during the first half the day as I feel a little fatigued but not as bad as if I eat. i like eating later and small frequent meals didn't work well for me...I still would crave a lot of food at night.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Drink more of your water early in the day to avoid using the bathroom at night. The dinner that you shared didn't have much fat, you may want to consider adding some fat to your dinner.

• charlenekapf
    Options
    5'2.5, 168 lbs. I used to be this heavy, got down to 110-120 running a lot in college....now a few years out and was 130 last year after losing some weight in between when i had regained to 148. That was when I took thyroid meds and lost down to 130. Now i'm 168, devastated.
    @charlenekapf - What is your height and weight? How much are you trying to lose?

• charlenekapf
    Options
    I think this is great advice....although I've tried that. I would overeat and count it toward the next day, only to go over the next day. Intermittent Fasting at least helps me feel fuller when I break it, but then i get hungry again before bed and still go over my calories. Even when I plan, I stick to it and then the hunger starts and I just don't sleep, am wired, etc.
    dawnemjh wrote: »
    Maybe try counting your calories starting at night so you have enough to eat and feel satisfied? For example start you day tracking with your nighttime snack and then breakfast/lunch and dinner the next day and make dinner your last meal in the 24 hour block....does this make sense?? Either that or plan day ahead of time so you can have a snack at bedtime...
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    I'm not logging on here as I don't like the database. I use live strong usually. My deficit is not too large I assure you. I use a fitbit and exercise at least 60 minutes a day of cardio, sometimes wight lifting. I've tried protein before bed as well..ugh. Sounds like not many people have this issue when dieting.

Your food diary is set to private so I can't really look at it and make any suggestions. If you are hungry and that's why you can't sleep, maybe your deficit is too large. Without a lengthy (like a couple months) logging record there is no way for you to know if that is the case. Figure out your daily needs and subtract 250 (or use this site and choose "Lose 1/2 pound per week.") Then log your food for two months. See if you lose or gain or stay the same. Adjust accordingly.

Good bedtime snack is something with protein. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, glass of milk, egg and toast. Something with protein.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Ok...I am not sure how you are spacing meals but what about moving last meal you eat a little later?
  • charlenekapf
    Options
    That s why I do intermittent fasting. I can't fast much later than 3 or 4. Then try to eat my main meal at 6 and drag it out until 7....go to bed at 10
    dawnemjh wrote: »
    Ok...I am not sure how you are spacing meals but what about moving last meal you eat a little later?
  • judithraye
    judithraye Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I figured the alcohol was bad but it did help me last year to lose some of the weight I regained as it helped me unwind but then I would wake up and couldn't sleep after 2-3 hrs.

I get hungry before bed but my deficit is so small that I really can't afford to eat anything. I do intermittent fasting to help have less hunger but once I break it, I still can't keep my calories low enough.

I admit I am type a and do stress but I'm not thinking about anything by that time..just trying to sleep so I guess that is my stress. I've tried kava, passionflower, gaba, etc. Nothing really works.

• charlenekapf
    Options
    I am not asking about a particular diet or food. I am asking more about a sleep problem. If you have questions about the foods I eat or calories, you can ask me and I will tell you...this forum seems to be a lot more active. however the database is a lot slower and less put together than live strong, that's all.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I'm not logging on here as I don't like the database. I use live strong usually. My deficit is not too large I assure you. I use a fitbit and exercise at least 60 minutes a day of cardio, sometimes wight lifting. I've tried protein before bed as well..ugh. Sounds like not many people have this issue when dieting.

Without seeing your food diary it's significantly harder to help you. Maybe you can ask the people over there instead.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I do have the issue. I found that magnesium helped me. The nice thing about it is that it helps relax my muscles so I'm not as tense. ETA muscle pain is the culprit for me sometimes with sleeplessness. Melatonin does nothing for me, unfortunately.

Also for stress the Stress B Complex vitamins from Walmart help me during the day if I'm feeling a bit edgy. But it might not be a good idea to take B vitamins at night because it could give you a little energy.
  • niamhjruss
    niamhjruss Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I've had success taking a magnesium citrate supplement before bed. If you try it, make sure to start with a small dose to avoid gastrointestinal problems (in higher doses it will keep you... regular). I fall asleep easier and don't have side effects the next day (I can't take things like Benadryl or even melatonin because they make me feel hungover the next day).