Sick of being fat

Options

Replies

• Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    If you are out and about a lot you probably are not able to weigh your food. I remember when I finally got my scale I was shocked at some of the things I thought were only Xgrams were actually double that!
  • amandavgomez
    amandavgomez Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?

No. I don't.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Do you use a food scale to weigh everything?

No. I don't.

If you had no metabolism, you would be dead. I'm serious. :)

You've been tested for everything under the sun and are fine. In this case, you are eating more than you realize. Science is evidence based and proves that you will lose weight if you eat too little, gain weight if you eat to much and maintain if you eat about the same as you burn.

The evidence for you is that you are either maintaining or gaining weight, which means you are eating too much.

Honestly, go get that scale for $25 at Walmart or some other store. You will be surprised when you find out your eyeballs are not good portion control devices. :)

You can do this, I know you can!

imageposters_1_b5a518.jpg

Also, thank you for your hard work with the State Farm Catastrophe Team. I believe your company was present during some of the wildfires in Lake County, California last year. :)
  • amandavgomez
    Options
    I just want to eat like a normal person. Realisticly, I'm not going to "work out". I'm tired, I have to many other things to do, and I'm often in pain from a bad back.

I can try to move every hour, get at least 10000 steps a day and make healthier choices when I eat. That's all I got time for. My diet has to match my families diet. I'm not buying and preparing special meals for just me. I'm to the point where I eat to get rid of the pain in my stomach or head, or sometimes because I'm bored. I hate dealing with food, I don't even care if I drank a protein shake for every meal and never ate food again. I'd still gain another 40+ lbs by next year. And frankly, I'm sick of being fat. Sick of feeling like crap. Sick of trying to find time for the gym. It's not as simple as having a calorie deficit. I stopped eating what they gave me for my calories burned over a week ago. Most days I have a deficit.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    When it comes to losing weight, calories are king. Literally all that is necessary is to have a calorie deficit. You can eat any food you want or like, just eat fewer calories than you burn.
    Plug your numbers into MFP and eat the number of calories it gives you. It's that simple.
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Keep your head up and don't give up. Start with small things like eating consistently, 5 times a day, small meals, weigh them before eating, log on mfp, so you know what and how much you're putting into your body. Not eating or leaving huge time gaps in between your meals may actually harm your health. Protein shakes are useless if you don't work out, meal replacements are just a gimmick. Eat good, whole food, fruits and veggies. It fuels your body to do it's functions and makes you feel good, whole food is not your enemy.
    But most importantly - take care of yourself physically and mentally. Wish you success. :)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just took a peek at your diary. I realize you are on the road, but you don't really seem to be logging everything or you are seriously skipping meals. On top of that, and again I realize you are on the road, but what you are eating is a LOT of heavily processed foods. These will make you feel terrible as well as retain water and cause you to want to eat more of them. They are manufactured to make you crave them with the fat/salt/sweet combination. Not sure what towns you are in but surely there are some better food choices you can pick to get some more nutrition and less sodium.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Get a six pack of V8 for road trip veggies. Microwave popcorn gives you high volume for low cal.

I wonder if cortisol/stress is related to your weight retention.

Even fun stress from an important/meaningful job is stress.
  • amandavgomez
    Options
    Ok. Good feedback. As for having better options for food here, not really. I've scoured google. I picked up some snacks and grapes at Walmart last night. Since hurricane Mathew hit half the resteruants are closed still.

I don't like deli meat sandwiches and that's about as healthy as it gets (Subway type places).

I will buy a scale.

A want to eat normal as in eat what everybody else eats.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Ok. Good feedback. As for having better options for food here, not really. I've scoured google. I picked up some snacks and grapes at Walmart last night. Since hurricane Mathew hit half the resteruants are closed still.

I don't like deli meat sandwiches and that's about as healthy as it gets (Subway type places).

Sorry to hear that your options are limited. That does make it very hard. I often take it for granted that I live in a bustling area with lots of options, so even when I am stuck eating out, I can usually grab a salad or lean soup/chili at Panera or something like that. Do you have a Wendy's where you are. Their chili is often a go-to for people watching their calories on the road. I think they do have some options there.
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you decided on getting a scale. Guaranteed you will lose if you weigh everything meticulously and are at a deficit. Also, like someone else said previously, eat what the family eats but have smaller portions. Also, bulk up on veg that are low in calories and high in vitamins and fibre. They will help keep you satiated. I can sense your frustration and know this whole thing can feel overwhelming but seriously, it's not as difficult as we make it. Weigh everything and eat at a deficit. Don't kill yourself with exercise...the 10000 steps a day is awesome! All the best to you on your journey. You got this! Please keep us updated of your progress x
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,375 Member
    Options
    My hubby lost all his weight by replacing some of his meals using the nutribullit. you can buy fresh veggies/fruit(I buy frozen tropical fruit), unsweetened almond milk, lite yogurt & add spinach(or whatever veggie you like) you can also add protein powder, rolled oats, nuts, flaxseed etc. good for kids for inbetween snack too
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Very often I eat what everyone else is having, but half. It sounds like you might need to pack personal supplies if the local options just don't cut it. I always throw a couple energy bars on my pack (cut in half) so I don't end up eating loads of fries or some other calorie laden delicacy.
    Hubby carries an apple with him if we are going out for fast food.

One slice of pizza with a side salad.
    Half a protein bar.
    Burger with salad instead of fries.
    Muscle milk (the whole thing as a meal replacement)
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I eat at Subway and I don't like their meat. I get a six inch veggie and even with mayo or oil and vinegar it's around 400 calories. I totally get what your saying about just wanting to eat and not think about it. But one advantage of being on the road is that you don't have to eat the way your family does. You could eat a good protein bar for breakfast (bring them from home if you have to), a Subway veggie sub for lunch and then most anything for dinner as long as it isn't a big portion. Soup is high in sodium but very filling and not necessarily high in calories. You can do it! A lot of people do!