Am I cheating myself?? (Please be blunt)

Options
My general plan was to stay away from fried foods at all costs and walk at least 30 minutes every day. Out of the last 18 days including today .. 4 days where I did not go for a walk outside instead I would walk around in my house non- stop for 30 or sometimes a hour. Is that cheating myself? Am I really getting the same workout? I feel like it's lowkey half assing working out. I don't want to cheat myself ever again.As for fried foods I've done amazing job as to staying away from them.Minus two pizza hut cheese sticks . Now all I have to do is get back to outside cardio exercise,eating better and staying away from sodium.

Replies

• Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I don't think that walking around your house is much of a workout, but it sure beats lying on the couch! Do you have any stairs you could walk up and down? Or maybe a workout video you could do in front of your t.v.? It sounds like you set some reasonable goals and are doing pretty well at attaining them! Keep up the good work!
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    It's not a cheat. Its like saying walking on an indoor treadmill is cheating. When I was bedridden earlier this year, that's how I worked out. It made a huge difference in my digestion and appetite (2 things that I was really struggling with). I'm sure it's helping with your goals as well.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    HakeemTheDream89 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    I don't think that walking around your house is much of a workout, but it sure beats lying on the couch! Do you have any stairs you could walk up and down? Or maybe a workout video you could do in front of your t.v.? It sounds like you set some reasonable goals and are doing pretty well at attaining them! Keep up the good work!

No I don't have any stairs but I was so blessed enough to receive two 3 pound weights(curls) and 5 pound weight(curl) so I can use this and walk around while blasting music in my ears or listening to partyline. My main exercise these days only consist of walking around the block for 30 minutes and on a great day a hour at time. This week my body was hurting in the male region(area) so it's kind of a irritating pain every time I press down on my body. It feels like it's always something.I'm more disappointed in bad food I ate this week.Combine that with my laziness to not step outside a walk it equals a bad week for me. But the Journey to lose all this weight has just begone an i'm getting better and better
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    I get 15-20k steps everyday without leaving home, walking is the only exercise i do. You are so not cheating yourself by moving more, the opposite in fact! Every step is getting you closer to your goal :+1:
    There is no rule that we have to join a gym and bust our butts 7 days a week, exercise is exercise, and walking is a great start.

Have a read of this:

http://www.9news.com/news/health/man-loses-200-pounds-by-walking-to-walmart-multiple-times-each-day/301769032

Thank you and I will check it out
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    Brother, if it's winter where you are, then cheat away. Outside is better for the mind and body but a heater on a cold day is good for the soul!

No excuses for me. I love the winter and I chose this time to walking outside due to fact that not alot of people will look at me while I'm walking. My biggest fear is walking around the block and running to a group of people that will have nasty or discouraging comments. Hints why I love having my headphones and try to blast music to tune people out.I do greet everyone I come across with a hello or goodmorning just to be a gentlemen but I still receive stares and just funny looks. Not to mention constant barking from dogs which can be irritating.Walking outside is the best and most challenging .I get a full solid workout pushing this big body up and down road in heat or breeze.I work on my posture and breathing as I'm walking as well. It has help my blood pressure i'm sure and I tend to have great days after a lovely walk. Just been lazy a couple of days this week. Today being one of them
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I'm more disappointed in bad food I ate this week.

Don't feel bad about that.

For one thing, food is just food. Don't let it make you feel bad. Don't give it that power.

For another thing, you just had a little bit. If you can work in a little bit every once in a while, you won't feel as deprived. That really helps with long term adherence to a calorie deficit. When you want a little of something, have a little and work it into your calorie goal. If it's part of your plan, you are in control and there's no reason to feel guilty.
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    3 days this week I didn't go walking outside which is a first in the time I've been active walking to get my health back in order. Very lazy and frustrating week to say the least.The walking around inside non-stop for 30 or 60 minutes doesn't feel the same as oppose to walking outside. I feel like I'm cheating myself or copping out .. Hints Why I made this post
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    Are you cheating yourself? hmm.....I'm not a doctor or a health physician, but I can tell you I lose 42 lbs. when I was heavier I walked in a warehouse for 42 miles a week and carried 50 to 100 lbs repeatively, the scale never moved, I never lost any weight. Physically I was so tired and the weight never came off. I changed jobs, worked more hours but was less physically demanding, I still worked out on breaks and cut way back on food intake and it started coming off...the weight started coming off..I still don't know what I did but it's working. I hope this helps you qla8ga7xhfqr.jpg
  • HakeemTheDream89
    Options
    Inspiring bro
  • LVNF04
    Options
    I want to point out I take vitamins and drink water, I cut out sodas and try to stay away from fast food and processed foods, I love to cook and I stopped cooking, I take in fruits, eat fish, chicken, eggs. My workouts are usually on a empty stomach, the bike riding, shadow boxing, or anything aerobic I try to get in on a empty stomach, weights I take in protein before and after, but always every breaktime I do pushups or situps or ab twists. It starts to add up. Don't starve yourself but focus on the goal, sometimes people try to force you to eat and what they cooked is sooooo unhealthy, just maintain focus. I would suggest asking a nutritionist or doctor what would be best, especially if it's a lot of weight.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    moving at all is better then sitting on the couch, but.... I think you know that you get more our of the walk outside...plus... how boring is it to just walk around the house?
  • LVNF04
    Options
    amfmmama wrote: »
    moving at all is better then sitting on the couch, but.... I think you know that you get more our of the walk outside...plus... how boring is it to just walk around the house?

I know right? dancing is fun.
  • sy_19440
    sy_19440 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If can't do all 30 minutes at one time break it up. Do 10 minutes at a time. I'm struggling now that it's cold to get up and move in the morning to walk. Don't forget to drink water.
  • amfmmama
    amfmmama Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    LVNF04 wrote: »

I know right? dancing is fun.

This is why I hike, I get caught dancing less when I am in the woods =)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Sometimes you just do what you just gotta do.

I lost 75 lbs last year and reached my goal weight and easily 90% of my walking was done solely in the house. I was my mother's caregiver for 9 years, (she lived with us) but the last year was particularly challenging because she developed dementia and couldn't be left alone even for a few minutes.

So my choices were to walk in the house, or stay on the couch. I got a fitbit and literally walked my butt off. And yes, it was boring as hell, but I *did* manage to solve all the world's problems as I walked. :)

I should add that the vast majority of my weight loss came from a caloric deficit through tracking and managing my food intake. The walking just gave me more wiggle room in what I could eat during the day. But it also strengthened me, gave me discipline and most important of all it was something that I was doing for me.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    According to my Fitbit, I burn a lot less calories when I walk inside the house compared to when I walk outside, because it's a lot harder to walk briskly when there are walls everywhere and you have to keep turning around! BUT, I live in Saudi Arabia and it's murderously hot outside in the summer, so it's that or nothing. I read books on my Kindle app and walk around the house like a loon. It's still moving!
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Have you considered running in place? It's a legitimate strategy.