Losing 4-5 pounds /week?

Options
So- on mfp everywhere- comments and app settings, and pretty much all diet advice online- everyone says lose no more than 2pounds/week. Well I have been eating 1100-1200 cal per day, brisk walking 45 minutes per day, and swimming laps once a week, and I have been consistently losing 4 to 5 pounds per week for the last seven weeks. 1200 was what mfp said for losing 2/week. I eat vegan, lots of raw veg and fruit, and have cut out bread, sugar, pasta etc for weight loss mode. I am still obese, which I'm thinking is the reason for my faster pace. I started at 230 and I'm now about 195. I'm 5'7" Woman, age 45.

I'm not really interested in purposefully slowing this down because it seems like I have a system in place and it's pretty much working. So why does everyone say it has to be 2 pounds per week to be healthy?

Replies

• NewGemini130
    NewGemini130 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I do know it will slow down once I lose more, just wondering if there's any reason to not keep doing this (other than everyone says so). So, actual reasons.

As for the calorie math above- I don't know either!! But Probably it is usually more like 4-4.5, sometimes 3.5 per week; the first week to 10 days When starting I dropped like 8-10 pounds so that is averaging in.
  • NewGemini130
    Options
    But I am following the mfp recommendation which suggests 1200/day (to lose 2/week) based on my info I've put in there. I know some people override that. So I'm my situation am I supposed to go over each day to slow it down? Also I don't eat the exercise calories, but the walking only gives me like 250 or so.

Also I am NOT under repotting. I measure and track everything.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    But I am following the mfp recommendation which suggests 1200/day (to lose 2/week) based on my info I've put in there. I know some people override that. So I'm my situation am I supposed to go over each day to slow it down? Also I don't eat the exercise calories, but the walking only gives me like 250 or so.

Since you're losing more than your goal something is wrong with your inputs for Calories In and/or Calories Out. Please change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

One thing that is definitely wrong is not eating back your exercise calories. MFP uses the NEAT method, and as such the system is designed for exercise calories to be eaten back. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You might be fine but make sure you are getting at least 46 grams of protein a day (the amount required for adult sedentary woman), but even more would be ideal to help prevent muscle loss when in a calorie deficit. I try to gee at least 100 grams a day.

Have you recalculated your calories based on your new weight yet? Sometimes the calorie recommendation changes once you weigh less.

It's great you're seeing such rapid and successful results! We just want to make sure you aren't damaging your health in the process.

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Also be very careful of rebound weight gain when you reach your goal weight. Continue to exercise as much as you are now and eat the same diet, just very slowly increase your calories over time and keep an eye on the scale.
  • NewGemini130
    Options

jemhh wrote: »

If you are not eating your exercise calories, you are not following MFP's recommended goal. Period, end of story.

I didn't know that was "required"! Honestly. I've seen people recommend eating half, etc. Sometimes I eat back the walking calories, sometimes not, based on hunger. I'll think about that one.
  • NewGemini130
    Options
    You might be fine but make sure you are getting at least 46 grams of protein a day (the amount required for adult sedentary woman), but even more would be ideal to help prevent muscle loss when in a calorie deficit. I try to gee at least 100 grams a day.

Have you recalculated your calories based on your new weight yet? Sometimes the calorie recommendation changes once you weigh less.

It's great you're seeing such rapid and successful results! We just want to make sure you aren't damaging your health in the process.
    Thanks for constructive input. I do monitor protein, but probably I'm not always there. Good reminder.
This discussion has been closed.