October (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Thanks for the mile breakdown. That sounds like a good plan for me too. I have practiced and would definitely prefer to have a strong finish.

@Ohhim Thank you for the %max hr that you find you run in. 86% is the middle-top of my zone 2 so that confirms what I was thinking. I will aim my pace for what I usually run in that zone. Much appreciated!

1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)
    2: 6.01 miles (long with 5 x 1/4 mile zone 3 intervals)
    3: 3.00 miles (recovery)
    4: 3.72 miles (tempo)
    5: rest
    6: 6.97 miles (aerobic)
    7: rest
    8: bailed due to rain and other lame excuses
    9: 13.12 miles (long with 12 x 1/4 mile zone 2 intervals and zone 2 finish)
    10. 2.53 miles (recovery)
    11. skipped (grumpy quad and a bad attitude)
    12. 3.42 miles (tempo)
    13. 2.85 miles (aerobic)
    14. rest
    15. 10 miles (long at different pace intervals with fast finish)
    16. 4.01 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Race: Oct 23rd Vancouver Rock n Roll Half-Marathon
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »

I'm not quite clear what zone corresponds to race pace for the half marathon. I think the cut-off for pacers is 2:15.

I should probably just set distance alerts and then run the rest by feel, taking small walk breaks when/if I feel I need them. Can I trust myself not to go too slow or too fast? Sigh. There are too many options! Oh well, one more week to figure it out.

I race by pace. I hold back the first half of the race (for the half, 5k is all out!), ramp it up a bit til mile 9, then by mile 11+ light it up. My training pace is where I start the race. Hold back, let everyone run out too fast, you'll be passing them with ease by mile 8. Walk through the hydration stations as walk breaks if needed. I do, but I got where it disrupted my last half of the race pace more than I wanted it to. So hydrate/fuel early.

I think you'll be surprised how easy the race is. It holds your focus, there are so many distractions from the running self. I'm so competitive, I gotta out run the most of 'em.

Enjoy this one. It's a learning experience. Ive done 3 halves. I'm still figuring out my race plan. Idk how many it takes until you have it dialed in. @kristinegift , @MobyCarp , @Ohhim, anyone? How many licks does it take?

Some people will learn faster than others do. While I was able to run a half marathon on my first attempt, I don't think I really managed a half really well as a race until the 10th try. Then I wasn't confident I'd really learned that till I managed the 11th half well. 3 tries in, I haven't learned that for a full marathon. If I don't get it right on the 4th try, I may give up on full marathons because the cost of getting it wrong can be so high.

That's such a good point, no matter the distance. Your are a wise runner, I'm sure you'll get there.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I have to find my runs before today but

10/16 - 4 miles

I think I'm at a terrible 28 miles for the month. This just sucks. Oh well

Skip had a meet yesterday, she is having a sucky season and feeling it in her confidence. Her first mile was 6:35 (10 seconds ahead of what she wanted) and then off she went into a field where I couldn't see her, she didn't come around and I'm waiting and waiting, people I know were WAY behind her are coming and then her she comes. She's crying and limping, she fell over a tree root and face planted. I said are you hurt, she said my knee hurts but I'm okay. I said can you make up time, she was calling back to me "you bet" and took off. She finished with a 24:34 so she made up lots of time. She was really pissed off though. She never curses and when I got to her after the race she was crying and she said "this race was *kitten* and this all sucks". My poor baby. Then she went on a date to the homecoming and dance and strangely was in a much better mood when she got home LOL
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Seems like a lot of us are numbers/data geeks! Would love to know how many here have math/stats/engineering backgrounds???

I'll start off - my degree is in mathematics with minors in computer science, chemistry and biology. I did computer performance and capacity analytics for many years...
    @shanaber Does physics count as "math/stats/engineering background" too? Probably, because I have to admit I'm a bit of a data geek too ;)

@RespectTheKitty Wow, what a gift! Have fun shopping, for that amount of money you can get a lot of cool running stuff.

@RunRachelleRun For my first half marathon, I picked a goal halfway between the pace of the fastest long run I ran in training (2:43h) and what a race time predictor spit out based on my last 10k time. After 14km, I decided I felt really great, so I sped up and ended up finishing in the predictor's time, so maybe that strategy was a bit conservative, but I wanted to make sure I wouldn't set myself an unrealistic goal and be disappointed in the end.
    I just looked at your last runs on Strava - if you can run 10 miles in 2:21h in a training run, I'm sure your goal of sub-3-hours for the half is doable!
    I haven't run any races by heart rate yet. I do own a HRM, but it's not very reliable; I go by pace and estimated effort.

@louubelle16 and @Orphia Well done, both for running as well as directing your park runs! I'm always jealous when I read about Parkrun, wish we had something like that here...

@dkabambe Sounds like an awesome run, great!

@lissadecker Wish I had any advice on the breathing - if you already take medication for the allergies daily, maybe you could talk to your doctor and see if there is a different medication you could take, which would also help with keeping the nose clear while running?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @RespectTheKitty - what a nice friend! I'm so happy for you too! Enjoy!
    @skippygirlsmom - well, don't be hard on yourself. You've been through a lot the last few weeks and many people would have just quit running but you have gotten some miles in. One day at a time. :heart: As if you aren't already feeling bad enough, when our kids are hurt (emotionally or physically), it's way harder on us than them! Hugs for Skip!

@ohhim - I'm doing the Horse Farm ride next weekend near Gainesville. Son went to college there and driven there many times but never biked up there. It's supposed to be hilly, which I never noticed while driving there (ha!). I think we are just going to go 55, because we are NOT used to hills. And I'm sure these aren't even remotely hills compared to up north.

Planning on a run tomorrow and it's trash day again. So I shall be singing loudly to scare away the bear. Tuesday I have a doctor appt in the morning so I can run a little bit later than my usual 4:30 run! yay! Although, I guess it still probably needs to be 5:30. Oh well, still nice!

10/1 - 5.1 miles
    10.2 - 7.3 miles
    10/3 - travel/rest day
    10/4 - rest
    10/5 - 5.1
    10/6 - 5.2
    10/7 - hurricane day
    10/8 - 7.5 miles - trail running on sidewalks
    10/9 - 37 miles biking
    10/10 - 5.1 miles - perfect 65 degrees
    10/11 - 5 miles - still nice out!
    10/12 - strength training
    10/13 - 4 miles
    10/14 - strength training
    10/15 - 34 miles biking
    10/16 - 30 miles biking

exercise.png

Upcoming races
    11/30/16 - I/ITSEC 5K
    2/5/17 - Daytona Beach HM
    2/26/17 - Disney Princess HM Orlando

• Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    @Naija82 and @5512bf Thank you for the advice. I've been training all of my long runs by heart rate. @5512bf you're right, I have to take regular walk breaks to stay in Zone 1. Garmin beeps at me to tell me when I've gone over Zone 1 and then I walk 20-30 seconds until I recover to the bottom of the zone.

I'm not quite clear what zone corresponds to race pace for the half marathon. I definitely feel as if I can push harder. I know I won't be able to sustain a tempo pace for the whole thing. I've only run without any walking in Zone 3 (tempo pace) for 40 minutes in training, and I am hoping to be under 3 hours for the half. I don't feel confident that I could run the entire thing without any walking, but maybe at a pace just below tempo? This race doesn't have a pacer for my predicted time, which would have been wonderful; I think the cut-off for pacers is 2:15.

I'm not sure if I should try to add intervals at tempo pace or if that will ultimately make me slower. I'm also scared if I set my watch to alert me to the pace and I can't stick with it, I'm going to annoy everyone and myself with all the vibrations. I should probably just set distance alerts and then run the rest by feel, taking small walk breaks when/if I feel I need them. Can I trust myself not to go too slow or too fast? Sigh. There are too many options! Oh well, one more week to figure it out.

I don't train by heart rate so don't know much about the different zones. I tend to run on feel :-)

That's a shame, most racers I've done have gone up to 2:30 pacers! I like pacers but I never seem to end up near one probably because I never go to races early, lol

A 3hr half, would be about a 13:44min/mile pace, perhaps start with that and see how you get on, also maybe plan in walking breaks, I've heard it's better to have planned walking breaks then forced ones due to being tired. My friend had a walking break every 5k and it worked for her.

As mentioned try not to set out to fast especially when you see others shooting off, it's hard to hold back with all that adrenaline pumping, the crowds etc but it will help as a lot of these people significantly slow down or have to stop halfway through.

I tempted to sign up for another half marathon before the end of the year
  • 1TheQueenB
    1TheQueenB Posts: 377 Member
    Options
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Today's run was awful, had really bad knee pain and ended up limping!

1/Oct - 8.82 miles
    2/Oct - 1.58 miles
    3/Oct - 5.01 miles
    4/Oct - 7.18 miles
    5/Oct - 5.02 miles
    6/Oct - 3.30 miles
    7/Oct - 1.27 miles
    8/Oct - 2.05 miles
    9/Oct - Oxford Half Marathon
    10/Oct - 1.64 miles
    11/Oct - 5.05 miles
    12/Oct - 8.06 miles
    13/Oct - 4.04 miles
    14/Oct - 5.14 miles
    15/Oct - 13.16 miles
    16/Oct - 2.99 miles

exercise.png
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Oct total (goal 50)
    10/01/16 :::: 5.8 :::: 5.8
    10/02/16 :::: 2.8 :::: 8.6
    10/03/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 10.8
    10/04/16 :::: 3.1 :::: 13.9
    10/05/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 13.9
    10/06/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 16.1
    10/07/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 16.1
    10/08/16 :::: 1.2 :::: 17.3
    10/09/16 :::: 13.1 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/10/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/11/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/12/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/13/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 swim 20 minutes
    10/14/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/15/16 :::: 0.0 :::: 30.4 walk Stella
    10/16/16 :::: 2.2 :::: 32.6 plus 5 mile walk w/ Stella!

Today: First post-HM run after taking a week off. I volunteered as a corner monitor for a 5 mile race this morning. I got there early so I ran part of the course to check it out before setting up on my corner. It was a beautiful day, but slightly warm for the racers by the time the 10 am start came around. My legs felt like lead to start with and eventually loosened up a little bit, but I'm going to need to ease back into this running thing.

After I got home, I needed to take Stella for a walk and it was such a beautiful day we took a long one. She's doing better on the pulling but it's still a struggle sometimes, lots of stops and starts. There were so many people and dogs out on the trail.

In shocking news though, a body was found in the lake yesterday in the very state park that I walked in today and almost every day as there is a trial right from my neighborhood. I'm thinking it must have been a clear accident or suicide as there was no police presence this afternoon and there is no word about being on the lookout for anyone. It's scary and sad, though. Across town in another park we frequently run in, a guy was exposing himself to women on one of the trails yesterday. He was found and given basically a warning which is ridiculous. I hate that we have to be so concerned about safety running in the day time in a public park.

Nice running everyone. Hope you are all having a lovely fall weekend like we are here.
    xzbz456re4q7.jpg
    rdh3gzhdy0hv.jpg
    8b16nyo10706.jpg

• Elise4270
    edited October 2016
    Options

Seems like a lot of us are numbers/data geeks! Would love to know how many here have math/stats/engineering backgrounds???

I'll start off - my degree is in mathematics with minors in computer science, chemistry and biology. I did computer performance and capacity analytics for many years...

I'd agree. I does appear that it's skewed towards data nerds. I read a statistic prob 10 years ago regarding the percentage of degreed folks that run. I can't remember where it was or exactly the numbers, but I think it was 50% or better.

Seems reasonable since so many of us use it as stress relief. If you're in management or working with an advanced degree, you probably need to run away several times a week.

I have a BS in chemistry, minor mathematics and environmental health sciences. I do did have most of a master's in industrial chemistry. But was offered a job. So I bailed and took it. Single mother with 3 kids at home, pay was just too good to pass up.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Bachelors in Mathematics; MSc in Mathematics and Computer Science
    I did lots of computer programming, data analysis/modelling and stats across the early years of my career but not recently so enjoying getting my teeth into running numbers. Dearly missing my now-dead Garmin that I used on the bike, so currently planning my Xmas (or black friday) present to myself to give me some more data to play with - not sure what to get though.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    October Running Totals (miles)
    10/1 – rest day
    10/2 – 0.56 test run (big mistake)
    10/3 – no running day
    10/4 – no running day
    10/5 – no running day
    10/6 – no running day
    10/7 – no running day
    10/8 – no running day
    10/9 – no running day
    10/10 –no running day
    10/11 – 0.55 run/walk intervals
    10/12 – rest day
    10/13 – 0.56 run/walk intervals
    10/14 – rest day
    10/15 – rest day
    10/16 – 0.85 run/walk intervals

October total to date – 2.52

Nominal Challenge Goal – no stated distance
    Real Goal: Return to regular running

Today's notes gimp report – I passed on testing running intervals yesterday because the leg felt a bit off while walking, and I figured and extra rest day wouldn't hurt. Sunday morning is church, and of course the leg felt great after a totally sedentary morning. So I went out with the intention of testing run 2 minute, walk 1 minute intervals again. The first interval felt so good that I missed 2 minutes, checking the watch at 2:12. Decided to see how long the leg would feel okay, and turned it into a 3 minute interval. I prepared myself mentally for the possibility that the next interval would need to be shorter, but I managed a full 3 minutes the second time. Another minute walking, and it was clear that a third running interval would be unwise.

So, 8 minutes total and the longest measured distance of the month. It's also still shorter than the shortest race I've ever run, but at least it's longer than the last time. Progress seems glacially slow, but there is progress.

@shanaber @Elise4270 - I was a math major in college, because it was the easiest degree to get. No minor was required, didn't have to write a lot of papers, no fuzziness to the grading. I didn't actually use heavy duty math much in my career, but the theory and concepts were important from time to time. And of course a mathematical aptitude is helpful for my new part time job of retirement portfolio manager. :smile: And yes, I'm a bit of a numbers geek when it comes to running; but not so much that I stand out among all the other numbers geeks.

2016 races:
    January 1, 2016 Resolution Run 7.5 mile (Mendon, NY) finished in 53:58
    January 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY) finished in 1:30:59
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 32:32
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY) finished in 1:05:24
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:23:01
    April 24, 2016 Flower City Challenge Half Marathon (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:36:50, targeting MP
    May 15, 2016 Highland Hospital Lilac Run 10K (Rochester, NY) DNS - injury
    June 19, 2016 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) DNS - recovering from face plant
    July 16, 2016 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:31:11
    August 13, 2016 Bergen Road Race 5K (Bergen, NY) finished in 19:07 (5K PR)
    September 4, 2016 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:31:37
    September 18, 2016 Rochester Marathon (Rochester, NY) DNF a mile from finish
    October 15, 2016 Finish Strong 15K (Hilton, NY) DNS – Achilles tendonitis
    October 22, 2016 Scare Brain Cancer Away 5K (East Rochester, NY)
    November 24, 2016 Race with Grace 10K (Hilton, NY)

2017 races:
    January 7, 2017 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Gates, NY)
    April 17, 2017 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I somehow deleted my current activity panel from my Garmin Connect dashboard and can find no way to add it back. Pfft.
    Date     Miles      MTD
    ------   -----    -------
    Oct  1     6.2      6.2 
    Oct  2     6.5     12.7 
    Oct  4     4.3     17.0 
    Oct  5     4.3T    21.3 
    Oct  8    10.1     31.4 
    Oct  9     4.3T    35.7 
    Oct 12     4.6T    40.3
    Oct 13     5.2T    45.5
    Oct 15     6.5     52.0
    Oct 16     4.3     56.3

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @kristinegift despite the rough time, that's still an awesome race. You were 20 minutes faster than my PR. You are an awesome runner and (hoping I'm not jinxing it) I have a good feeling you'll BQ in Philly
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Your advice is needed. So I did the RNR Denver half this morning. The course is supposed to be 13.1. I turned on mapmyrun the second I crossed the start line. It totaled 15.37 miles and I stopped it the second I crossed the finish.

MMR says my HM time was 3:35:07. The official race results say my time was 3:36:15(a very small improvement from the Colfax half in May). Strava says my time (based from uploaded info from MapMyRun) was 3:06:50. How do I know which one is right? AND everyone I talked to, their GPS showed the course as 15.37 miles like mine, or roughly 14 miles. How do I figure out my time and the actual mileage of the course??
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    @Virkati that's a huge difference from a HM to the 15.37 you recorded. I really don't know what I'd do, other than contact the race people and see what they say about course length and your race time.

Really though, if everyone showed it that long, I'd think your strava time might be the closest to the actual time for running 13.1
  • Elise4270
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Virkati that's a huge difference from a HM to the 15.37 you recorded. I really don't know what I'd do, other than contact the race people and see what they say about course length and your race time.

Really though, if everyone showed it that long, I'd think your strava time might be the closest to the actual time for running 13.1

I agree with contacting the race director. Also, on Strava it should pull others that also ran. You can look at their distance. I'd die and be miffed if it was 14-15 miles. I ran the RNR Dallas and all the weaving I did in the crowd put me at 13.5.

Ne'er mind thisI'm assuming the MMR pulls the fastest consistent 13.1 miles for your PR? I think Garmin works that way. Then go with that for the PR. Congratulations on the race, sounds crazy. I'd have been nuts when my distance hit 14..

Edit. I checked others that ran it on strava. I'm guessing that the MMR had some connectivity issues. Looks like 13.1ish. checking with the RD couldn't hurt.

Screenshot_20161016-170856_zpsxtzl4vcg.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Great job Sleuthing @Elise4270