What do you spend on groceries?

Options
Wolfena
Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
Prices went up so much last year and regardless of the price of fuels coming back down they seem to have remained UP.

I went grocery shopping today - for 3 people, me, my boyfriend and my 11 yr old daughter. I spent almost 170$ :noway:

Seems like not long ago I could feed 5 of us (Us 3, plus my 2 other daughters who were teenagers and living at home a few years ago) for about 100$/week.

OK, so I no longer buy stuff like Hamburger Helper, cheap cuts of fatty meat, white bread, oodles of noodles, or boxes of 'Little Debbie" snack... I'm buying a lot more fresh produce, quality lean cuts of meat, and just healthier food all the way around so I guess I should expect to be paying a little more than before - but WOW! I just realized the past 2 months straight we have not had a grocery week go by where we spent less than 140$ :grumble:

I only buy what I need, I don't "stock up" during sales much because I just don't have the room to store it! I am not a "name brand" person, nor am I even an "organic only" person - I DO look for sales and buy only the products I actually use!

Just curious to see how the rest of you are doing and what sorts of things you are buying.

I live in a fairly rural area of PA, not even in a big town here to expect big town prices :laugh:

Replies

• Wolfena
    Options
    Prices went up so much last year and regardless of the price of fuels coming back down they seem to have remained UP.

I went grocery shopping today - for 3 people, me, my boyfriend and my 11 yr old daughter. I spent almost 170$ :noway:

Seems like not long ago I could feed 5 of us (Us 3, plus my 2 other daughters who were teenagers and living at home a few years ago) for about 100$/week.

OK, so I no longer buy stuff like Hamburger Helper, cheap cuts of fatty meat, white bread, oodles of noodles, or boxes of 'Little Debbie" snack... I'm buying a lot more fresh produce, quality lean cuts of meat, and just healthier food all the way around so I guess I should expect to be paying a little more than before - but WOW! I just realized the past 2 months straight we have not had a grocery week go by where we spent less than 140$ :grumble:

I only buy what I need, I don't "stock up" during sales much because I just don't have the room to store it! I am not a "name brand" person, nor am I even an "organic only" person - I DO look for sales and buy only the products I actually use!

Just curious to see how the rest of you are doing and what sorts of things you are buying.

I live in a fairly rural area of PA, not even in a big town here to expect big town prices :laugh:
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I spend wayyy to much on groceries, but I am going to get it under control soon. I'm more into quality over quantity so it sometimes feels like I get so little food for so much money. We just bought a rice steamer this weekend so maybe my veggies won't go to waste quite as much.

Lynnie
  • wooch44085
    wooch44085 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I live in NE Ohio - rural also - we have to travel at least 20 min to get to a decent grocery store. I find myself spending at least $150 a week on groceries - like you, I am trying to buy more fruits and veggies - but still - how can we continue to spend this way?? I am feeding a family of 4. I wish I had solutions - I was buying the Sunday paper for the coupons but the paper cost more than I was saving on groceries. I have not found a better way yet - If anyone knows of a great way to save - I would love to know it!! :smile:
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    There's 8 people in our home, including 3 teenagers, I budget and sale shop, I also make weekly meal plans, according to what's on sale, I spend 160 canadian lol....so it's way less in American dollars :laugh: each week on groceries...our biggest expense is bread, eggs, milk, and fresh meat. I cut expenses by having two vegetarian dishes each week, this week it was veggie pasta, and a meatless chili, both meals very cheap to make and make great lunches for the next day!
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I posted a topic in forums about this last week. I am unemployed and having a tough time even buying food at all. Alot of people chimed in with some great ideas.......coupons online and even recipe ideas that are healthy and inexpensive...take a look.

I went to the grocery store this week shopping for 2. My fiancee is fit and burns 3 times as many calories as I do, hence he not needing to watch much. I opted for frozen veggies instead of fresh so I can eat them alot more frequently and so they last a little while, I did my grocery list based on recipe's sent to me from people here, and I shopped generic only. I didnt skimp on the ground turkey and meats well because I couldn't. I did buy things I CANT eat too, chips, mayo, bolgne, sliced cheese and soda for my honey........my actual food cost for this week was $80. And thats just for a week. What I did do though is I added oatmeal in my burgers to make 6 instead of 4 I ate 1 last night, my honey had 2....and then I had a patty tonight for lunch! So I am trying to get 2 meals outa dinner.......

Look for the threads in the food and nutrition area from last week......TONS of ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dangerkitty2001
    Options
    It seems like I have been spending more at the grocery store since I started eating healthier, too. It's a little frustrating, but I guess it is the price I pay (literally) for being in better shape!
  • Wolfena
    Options
    I live in NE Ohio - rural also - we have to travel at least 20 min to get to a decent grocery store. I find myself spending at least $150 a week on groceries - like you, I am trying to buy more fruits and veggies - but still - how can we continue to spend this way?? I am feeding a family of 4. I wish I had solutions - I was buying the Sunday paper for the coupons but the paper cost more than I was saving on groceries. I have not found a better way yet - If anyone knows of a great way to save - I would love to know it!! :smile:
    I also live at least 20 minutes from the closest grocery store! My family thinks I live in the middle of nowhere as they probably have a dozen grocery stores less than 10 minutes from their homes! I love it here though :smile:

I do use coupons already, and make big pots of soups and stews that'll make more than one meal... it's just that my boyfriend and I pack both breakfast and lunch for work as well as snacks (my daughter eats school lunch 85% of the time) & we try not to eat dinner out too often either. I suppose I could count the increase in home food as savings on our "spending money" (whatever THAT is! :laugh: )

I dunno.... I just feel like 170$ for one weeks worth of meals and snacks for 3 people is insanely a large amount!
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I hate grocery shopping. I was spending way too much. So, I decided to go now with my husband. He is going to take lead and help me spend less. I hope it helps!
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    I know what you mean, I feed two people and spend about $150 every 2 weeks. Week one I buy all the stuff we need, then week two I buy the stuff that we went through like bread, milk, and fresh fruit. I like to buy frozen stuff to save money, like fruit and veggies. As for chicken, I buy the bags, you get more and it's cheaper. I don't really know alot of hints, it is shocking how much food went up. Used to be less than $100 every two weeks :noway: Darn economy messing with my food lol
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    UGH, I SO hear you on the grocery bill!!!!! We have six people in our family (me, hubby, and four kiddos) and I spend about $150/week. BUT, three of my kids are in school Monday-Friday and eat breakfast AND lunch at school!!! Our school started a breakfast program last year where it is part of their daily morning routine that all the kids eat breakfast before they start school work (I suppose because too many kids weren't getting it at home).

AND then on top of that, we have a whole beef in our freezer! So we very rarely have to buy meat, unless it is chicken or pork. Our main grocery's are milk, bread, eggs, cheese, fruit, yogurt, cereal. We don't buy any junk food - if the kids need a snack, they choose from fruit, string cheese, yogurt, etc.

I agree that it does cost CONSIDERABLY more to "eat healthy". Although, it's a price I am willing to pay :smile:
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    I guess I should clarify - our $150/week does also include household things - like toilet paper, diapers, laundry soap, dishwasher soap, etc. It is not JUST our food bill.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to think about how much I spend on groceries a week.... :ohwell: I would say no more than $60 a week for two adults and a toddler. I make large bulk meals like Spaghetti w/ meat sauce, stews, Meat Loaf. Once of those meals generally feeds us for 3+ days. Ingredients are around $10 a meal, so thats roughly $3.30 spent per meal for two and a half people. We probably spend the most on my toddler. :laugh:

However, DH and I are very accustomed to a shoestring budget. We both grew up in poor families, then went to college and if possible got poorer. Now we are out in the world in this wonderful economy mostly jobless. :tongue:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    One of my New Year's resolutions was to cook larger meals that can be frozen/refridgerated on the weekends. I've been making crock pot meals/soups and casseroles.

So far it's saving me the headaches about what to make for dinner after work :indifferent: and I've been able to make better tasting/fresher foods. :smile:

Haven't noticed a HUGE savings yet, but I'm still new to this.

Spend about $130 week on food. :grumble:
  • age1389
    age1389 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    What helps me is that I use my crock pot at least two times a week. So that way those meals last two days each since there are pretty good portions. So out of 7 days I really only cooking 3 days sometimes 4.
    I also plan my meals for the week and buy only what I need for a particular meal.
    I also use coupons and buy frozen veggies which aren't expensive plus I usually get 2 meals out of them. I usally end up spending $200 for two weeks and that includes food for breakfast,lunch , dinner and snacks.
    I also just bought a bread maker and just made homemade pizza dough tonight. So hopefully it'll bring the bill down a bit by using that.

-Adrienne:heart:
  • Dustdevil
    Options
    Two teenage boys, a 4 year old girl, my wife and I. The wife and I eat very healthy as the children do most of the time, but still allowed more leeway than us. Approximately, $100 at Sam's each week and another $100-$125 at the local grocery store. Our grocery bill is high, for one because we feed many teenagers at our house. We have always been the house were all the kids go. We feed 'em let them play video games etc. (We still watch them :noway: ) But this way we always know where they are and who they are with!:devil: It costs more- but then again it may cost less!
  • n2dfire
    n2dfire Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    produce is sooooo expensive i cant wait till my garden is up and going
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    My sis and I usually shop at least 3 stores each week. We start at the farthest one then work our way back. We are lucky to live in Vegas with a wonderful store Sunflower Market which buys directly from the farms and cuts costs a lot so we can get fruits and veggies so cheap there. We also get our fruit only sweetened yogurt there and several all natural products including bulk items, then we head to Trader Joe's for free range eggs($1.49), sprouted grain breads, and nuts and other all natural products. I can get my almond milk there $1.99 any time and all dairy is hormone free, they also have nitrate free meat products like bacon for a great price, then we head to either Fresh & Easy or Smith's or where ever there is a sale and get those sale items that we eat. We do stock up when something we use regularly is on a great sale. Today we spent close to $200 but we got some things for several weeks since they were having a killer sale on the oatmeals and some healthy snacks and the Campbell's select soups. So we stocked up a bit on a few things and took advantage of some extras like raw almonds $3.99 a pound on sale and 7 bean soup mix 99 cents a pound. Usually we average $100 a week on groceries but that is only possible because of the Sunflower Market and Trader Joe's killer prices on our fruits, veggies, and staples.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Two teenage boys, a 4 year old girl, my wife and I. The wife and I eat very healthy as the children do most of the time, but still allowed more leeway than us. Approximately, $100 at Sam's each week and another $100-$125 at the local grocery store. Our grocery bill is high, for one because we feed many teenagers at our house. We have always been the house were all the kids go. We feed 'em let them play video games etc. (We still watch them :noway: ) But this way we always know where they are and who they are with!:devil: It costs more- but then again it may cost less!

You sound like me... We have 3 teenage daughters. We also go to Sam's about twice a month and regular grocery shopping once a week. We average $200-250 a week. All 5 of us pack lunches, plus have lots of teenagers in our home. We wouldn't have it any other way... we get to know them AND see what they are doing :)

132656.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I'd say an average of $125 a week for a family of 5. I do a lot of shopping around. I buy some things that I know are cheaper in bulk at Sam's, love the fresh produce and some products at Meijer or Kroger, buy canned goods, crackers, and other things at Wal*mart, etc. And of course, I try to use double coupons when possible! I don't buy junk and make a lot of things homemade. We also rarely eat out. My hubby packs his lunch every day for work and I pack lunches for my 3 girls every day at school.

We also buy a side of beef every fall, so we have lean meat year-round. My hubby is also a hunter and we currently have a lot of ground deer meat as well.

The bummer is that if the price hasn't gone up, the serving sizes or boxes have gone down so you're paying the same price for less food! :grumble: It's ridiculous!
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    I love Trader Joes. It is ridiculously inexpensive for what they sell. THe food is all good, pretty healthy and for half the cost of Whole Foods and/or Safeway! If your on a budget and want to eat healthy I suggest making a trip to your Trader Joes and check out the freezer section.... its fabulous!