72 year old food addict starts new program

Options

Replies

• mskatz1
    mskatz1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice on weighing; learned this morning that Costco broiled chickens, which I love and was eating with some regularity--even up through yesterday--is soaked in salt brine---6 oz had over 1290 milligrams of sodium---and high sodium retains water; so sadly,I am ready to give up on one of my favorite chicken places--Costco. aaaaarrrrggghhh. I have lost 50% of my kidney function so too much sodium in my daily diet is not a good thing. Onwards.
  • 51time
    51time Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Tuna. I put green onions and use a little creole mustard with dill season.
  • mskatz1
    Options
    21 days with no sugar, no white flour; slight meltdown last night while watching late night tv--ate a cup of canteloupe, container of rasperries and a modest amount of pinion nuts--shot blood sugar up to 149 before bed;
    size 44 shorts now fitting comfortably--another 1.5 lbs. off for the week. Slowing progress. walked 29 minutes with less difficulty than previous walking.

more suggestions on how to make tuna without too much light mayo.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I prepare my tuna with dijon mustard (one TSP per tuna can), diced celery, diced red onion marinated 1 hour in lemon juice and 1 TBSP of plain greek yougurt.
  • 2manyhats
    2manyhats Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    mskatz1 wrote: »
    Thanks Dancing Daisy. Yes, no pasta at this point. Need to experiment with some different types of fish. I am not a great fish eater, but I should try to expand my limited repertoire beyond my favorites--boiled shrimp, broiled scallops, crab, lobster, salmon. How does one make tuna fish without mayonnaise? Your suggestions!

I use mustard and avocado in my tuna! Good job on cutting out the white stuff!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    more suggestions on how to make tuna without too much light mayo.

Starkist has flavored tuna pouches (about 80 calories). I really like the lemon pepper one. You could probably use the plain tuna and mix in your own lemon pepper.
    Sometimes I used whipped onion chive cream cheese mixed into plain tuna. It is also good if you put in some dill.
    You can make a lighter version of mayo too. There are a lot of recipes on line.

I like baked fish. I dry the filets with a paper towel. Dip in a beaten egg and coat with seasoned Panko bread crumbs. Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 12 minutes. They get crispy and brown. Really good.

• mskatz1
    Options
    Thanks very, very much for the tuna fish suggestions. I have been buying lumped crab meat in cans--but it is super expensive.
  • mskatz1
    Options
    weighed in today--235 on bathroom scale--was 248+ with clothes on three weeks ago in doctor's office with clothes on in the afternoon--so somewhere between and 11-12 lb. weight loss in three weeks of no sugar, no flour. Feeling positive. Pants fitting better. Onwards.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Seasoning is key. I find that you cant help but eat more when food is bland
  • mskatz1
    Options
    Going to New York for 4 days starting tomorrow morning; need to pack some healthy snacks, digital scale, some lumped crab meat in plastic container, and commit to eating healthfully with no sugar, no flour; today begins my second month; size 44's fitting nicely. started with a tight 46. Determined not to weigh for awhile; small regular cheats on my Bright Line eating program--usually fruit and nuts in the evening. Some popcorn last night--that was bad.
  • mskatz1
    Options
    beginning 2nd month of lifestyle changing food program; feeling slimmer in my 44 pants.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Funnily enough I've just had 40g oatmeal, 200ml skimmed milk, 33g blueberries and 1tsp honey = 259 calorie breakfast and yummy! Good luck with your plan...I'm 68 and lost 51lbs and now maintained that loss for 5 months so far......us oldies can do it!!!

Edit: Just noticed I posted on page 1 duh!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Going to New York for 4 days starting tomorrow morning; need to pack some healthy snacks, digital scale, some lumped crab meat in plastic container, and commit to eating healthfully with no sugar, no flour; today begins my second month; size 44's fitting nicely. started with a tight 46. Determined not to weigh for awhile; small regular cheats on my Bright Line eating program--usually fruit and nuts in the evening. Some popcorn last night--that was bad.

^^Popcorn is good for you. It is one of my main go to snacks. I have gotten so I really like it with no butter on it. I air pop it and grate some parmesan cheese on it.

• mskatz1
    Options
    I will get weighed at the doctor's office tomorrow; have not weighed myself in two weeks, but waist line is going down. Still avoiding bread, pasta, pizza, ice cream, cookies, diet soda and other foods containing sugar and white flour---small cheats on nuts (some pistachio nuts; some pine nuts--both high in fat content); low calorie intake today and 1 hour on the elliptical at a slow rate. Feeling better. Five weeks tomorrow of my fundamental lifestyle change in eating.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    I will get weighed at the doctor's office tomorrow; have not weighed myself in two weeks, but waist line is going down. Still avoiding bread, pasta, pizza, ice cream, cookies, diet soda and other foods containing sugar and white flour---small cheats on nuts (some pistachio nuts; some pine nuts--both high in fat content); low calorie intake today and 1 hour on the elliptical at a slow rate. Feeling better. Five weeks tomorrow of my fundamental lifestyle change in eating.

Generally, nuts are very healthy, with a higher percentage of their fats being a healthful type. Your body needs at least some fat to function, and the more of that that is the healthful type, the better. As long as they fit in your calorie goal, eat the nuts!

It is not good or healthy to eliminate all fat from your diet. You need fat for lots of reasons, among them that you need fat in order for your body to absorb certain vitamins from your fruits & veggies.

I try to get at least 0.35-0.4 grams of fat per pound of a healthy goal weight every day, as much as possible from healthy types, and to include some in every meal.

Unless one has an unusual medical condition, it's OK to get more fat than that, as long as it doesn't make you exceed your calorie goal, or make it impossible (calorie-wise) to get other essential nutrition.
  • mskatz1
    Options
    weighed at doctor's office--234.6---down 5.5 in two weeks; I was a little disappointed as my scale without breakfast and without clothes (with light gym clothes at doctor's office but no shoes) was 235 two weeks ago. She indicated I am down 25 lbs. from my recent high weight--down 15+ from when I started changed approach to eating--5 weeks ago.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,150 Member
    Options
    weighed at doctor's office--234.6---down 5.5 in two weeks; I was a little disappointed as my scale without breakfast and without clothes (with light gym clothes at doctor's office but no shoes) was 235 two weeks ago. She indicated I am down 25 lbs. from my recent high weight--down 15+ from when I started changed approach to eating--5 weeks ago.

Don't fret too much - weight fluctuates, especially when different scales, times of day, and clothing are involved. As long as the trend over a longer term is downward, the right things are happening. Besides, 15 pounds in 5 weeks is very rapid loss!
  • mskatz1
    Options
    weighed in at 233.7 on my scale without clothes; fitting into size 42 waist tightly and size 44 comfortably; started at tight 46--exercising up from 30 minutes to 40-60 minutes. Onwards.
  • mskatz1
    Options
    weighed in yesterday at 230.2; violated my no sugar, no white flour commitment with some candy on Halloween and yesterday, some bubble gum at night (with sugar) and some spaghetti yesterday; have increased exercise in past week to 45-60 minutes on eliptical and now doing some minimal weight lifting; pants fitting better. Long, long way to go. Still eating oatmeal with some almond milk and some blackberries or raspberries for breakfast along with either an omelet or some other protein. Trying not to weigh very often.
  • gail2451
    gail2451 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, you are making fabulous progress. Apart from cutting out white flour/bread are you also cutting out brown bread, potatoes and rice? I am in my sixties and have started cutting out all bad carbs. I also have oatmeal with almond milk fir breakfast although I believe cream us good as it has a higher fat content. Would appreciate to hear from you.