Guys shaving their legs.....

Options
g44219
g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
Just heard on the radio. According to the NY Post approximately 40% of men shave their legs now......um WTF? That number sounds really high. I can see if you are competing as a body builder or something similar..
Maybe I am just old or old fashioned. It's not the normal for a heterosexual male in my little part of the world to shave their legs.

Replies

• patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of cyclists shave their legs which I never understood why. Is that leg hair really slowing you down? I also don't understand guys that get pedicures.....
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I think you're right to suspect that figure is wrong.

Based on a quick ask around the office: Zero % (of course they may be embarrassed and don't want to admit it)
    Based on guys at the gym: I've never seen a male shorts wearer with shaven legs but there are some (about 20% who wear sweats in the gym)

I've only even known two men (IRL) who shave lower than the testicles: One a keen cyclist the other a semi-pro triathlete.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I like guys who are a little hairy....it just seems more manly to me.

I'm not talking Bigfoot hairy, but just enough to look like a real dude.
  • futureicon
    futureicon Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Right, so when a dude shaves his legs, how does he know when to stop? I mean, if I stopped at my *kitten*, now I just have a weird hairy *kitten*.. might as well keep going.. now I have a hairy-border at my lower back.. thus the debauchery continues..
    9ReWeD1tzChri.gif
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    My work socks shave my ankles.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I've seen it twice, on dating websites & they were both Virgos (for those that have a belief in astrology, cleanliness is extremely important; to them & thus they often seek careers in medical fields, in which washing hands; is constant They tend to have OCD, concerning it. My Sister's also a Virgo & she chose to scrub our kitchen floor every night, when she was in elementary school; on her hands & knees)! They were both hot guys, 1 was thin & the other was fit, other than that; I've only seen bodybuilders completely shaven. I like that if they're going to spend that time/money, to take "unnecessary" care of themselves; that they most likely aren't gross people that rarely bathe. Otherwise I have 0 preference, either way!
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of cyclists shave their legs which I never understood why. Is that leg hair really slowing you down? I also don't understand guys that get pedicures.....
    Hairy legs get sweaty and they distract/itch when you are concentrating on long distance cycling, as sweat trickles down through the hair.

I cycle, do century rides, 24hr races ect.., leg hair has never impacted my ride

• benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Like most polls, it is probably highly inaccurate. People probably just responded that way to be funny.
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've often described myself as half nerd, half lumberjack. When it comes to body hair, I'm all lumberjack. It's funny too, because I dated someone that was opposed to chest hair until she got the...ummm... "experience." Now she thinks it's one of the sexiest features on a man, lol! #lumbajacklyfe
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    The more people shaving their legs, the merrier ;)
  • g44219
    g44219 Posts: 3,665 Member
    Options

Yea I've heard this too. I have been told if you fall while riding you will lose less skin without hair versus with hair

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Yea I've heard this too. I have been told if you fall while riding you will lose less skin without hair versus with hair

there is some truth in this

and it's far easier to dress and clean the road rash when the legs are clear of hair
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I also don't understand guys that get pedicures.....
    Someone cutting and cleaning your toenails and then getting a foot and leg massage? I get them at least once a month. When I didn't before, the front of my socks would rip holes often.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I used to shave my legs until I hit 40. As a former competitive bodybuilder, it was normal. Then I got lazy.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Just heard on the radio. According to the NY Post approximately 40% of men shave their legs now......um WTF? That number sounds really high. I can see if you are competing as a body builder or something similar..
    Maybe I am just old or old fashioned. It's not the normal for a heterosexual male in my little part of the world to shave their legs.

You mean when you told me that have gotten out of the shower to find you only shaved one leg you were just trying to make feel better??? Crushed.