10/12- 3.01
    10/13- 6.0
    10/14- 4.03
    10/15- 8.1
    10/16- REST
    10/17- 4.03
    10/18- 6.01

Total: 72.67/70

Today's notes: I passed my mileage goal for the month! Today's run was a bit harder than yesterday. I popped up into z3 a few times but, for the most part, I just cruised along in the top end of z2. Average HR for each split was: 146, 146, 154, 154, 151, 153. the run felt good, so I've no complaints about the HR being where it was, since I'm finally getting used to running z2.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7 I like Skynard and definitely some Allman Brothers. My brother and I used to get tickets every year to see the Brothers at the Beacon Theater when they would so there month long stand there every March. I seen them with Dickey Betts and Warren Haynes and then after Betts was gone with Derek Trucks. I'm not sure I would give up World Series tix for them though. I love my Yankees too much. lol

@RespectTheKitty That is so awesome of your friend. What a gesture.

@RunRachelleRun As far as paces go for races. The more experience I feel you have in both longer distance training runs and more races you do, the better you get to know yourself. I tend to push myself in races to my limits and end up positive splitting a little bit. But the goal is to start slower than you expect to finish and then gun it towards the end and try to negative split it. That is what I ended up doing at the Oak Barrel Half last year. I took it easy for the first part because that course has a nasty hill at mile 4. Plus it was the week before my Bridge Street Half which I wanted to PR at. So Oak barrel I started off easy. But as I got further on in the race (after the hill when it was all down hill from then on) I ended up going faster and faster. Then I got to about mile 9 and thought, I could actually PR on this course. So I went for it. I ended up with a PR of 38 seconds. Then I did PR again at Bridge Street the following week again by 2-1/2 minutes. The thing for me is that I had so many 18 and 20 mile runs (preparing for fulls) that it made me stronger at the half distance. I also knew after doing a few half races what to kind of expect in a time and what my pace should be.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for October
    10/1 20 miles - 20
    10/2 REST DAY
    10/3 8.1 miles - 28.1
    10/3 5 miles - 33.1 << Daily Double
    10/4 9 miles - 42.1
    10/4 5 miles - 47.1 << Daily Double
    10/5 5 miles - 52.1
    10/6 10.5 miles - 62.6
    10/7 5 miles - 67.6
    10/8 17 miles - 84.6
    10/9 REST DAY
    10/10 13.1 miles - 97.7
    10/11 9 miles - 106.7
    10/11 4 miles - 110.7 << Daily Double
    10/12 5 miles - 115.7
    10/13 9.3 miles - 125
    10/14 4 miles - 129
    10/15 15 miles - 144
    10/16 REST DAY
    10/17 7 miles - 151
    10/18 7.25 miles - 158.25

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25 << 1:20:22 1 in AG & 15 OA
    Huntsville Half Marathon - 11/12
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• Stoshew71
    Options
    mmteixeira wrote: »
    I need a bit of advice - Having only been running for 10 months now I'm sure my form could use some improvement but the wear pattern on my running sneakers has me confused a bit. I rotate 4 pairs of shoes and a couple of them are starting to show significant wear on the outside heels. The blue image is my New Balance m880v6's - with about 60 miles on them. The other image is my Hoka One One Clifton 3's with about 50 miles on them. The wear on the outside heels seems a bit extreme for a simple heel striker with less that 60 miles on them - one would think I drag my feet with that much wear on the heel but I don't believe I do. I will note that I have not experienced any real soreness or pain in the last 10 months going from the couch to 8 miles - I would have thought if there was something in my form I would have felt it.

Any thoughts on why my shoes might be wearing out on the heels that quickly?

What helped me most is a few things.

Back and hips straight. Stand tall. Imagine a hook on the very top of your head with string attached to it and someone just lifted you off the ground by that string with your legs just hanging straight down so your body is perfectly straight and aligned. Keeping your hips locked forward in that position now start running. Squeeze your glute muscles (imagine holding a quarter between your butt cheeks as you run). Keep your hips and knees relaxed. Then lean forward at the ankles (not the hips). When you land, land on the meaty portion just below your big toe and when you push off, use all of the meaty portion under all your toes and allow your heel to touch for a short bit.

There is a lot to think about, so just work on 1 or 2 of these at a time. Run slow paces so you can work on your technique.

• dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Another awesome feeling run today, followed by some very interesting playing with the numbers.

Planned 7k tempo run, but as it's maintenance week this week decided to up the tempo a bit and see if I could beat my previous 5k record (29:03). Felt good and got my 5k time down to 28mins flat, and also the first time I had a mile time that started with an '8' - in fact it was 8:37 so smashed my previous best of 9:05.

Felt really good about run, but delayed posting here. After some playing over last few days with the spreadsheet from @7lenny7 I wanted to check whether how much my 5k was genuinely faster was once weight loss was taken out of the equation. Baselined to current weight my previous 5k record actually stands at 28:43 so very interesting that the figures say 20s of the improvement was down to weight loss, (but still 43 seconds of actually running faster).

I've got a spreadsheet I've been using just to track my PR improvements over various distances, so have now added in the formulas from the other one so I can tell if I am genuinely running faster, and makes for fascinating reading. For example, at the end of last month I thought I improved my 5k time by 25 seconds in 10 days. However, when I adjust the figures for weight and temperature I was actually 2 seconds slower on that second run! I know the numbers are all approximate (even down to my times which are GPS recorded) but it's still fascinating.

Anyway, that's my geek bit done - in summary great run today, and lots of fun with numbers. So far, October has been a great month for me:

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    thanks @7lenny7 and @shanaber
    it felt good running again.

i was going to run this morning but I was out cold and didn't hear my alarms. thankfully, i heard my get up for work alarms. maybe tonight. I'll need to work off dinner with my parents. they've been feeling rather helpless with the whole situation.
    definitely tomorrow. no yoga or foam rolling class to teach this week
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I need a bit of advice - Having only been running for 10 months now I'm sure my form could use some improvement but the wear pattern on my running sneakers has me confused a bit. I rotate The wear on the outside heels seems a bit extreme for a simple heel striker with less that 60 miles on them - one would think I drag my feet with that much wear on the heel but I don't believe I do. I will note that I have not experienced any real soreness or pain in the last 10 months going from the couch to 8 miles - I would have thought if there was something in my form I would have felt it.

Any thoughts on why my shoes might be wearing out on the heels that quickly?

It could be your strike/pronation or the material just may not be up to the mileage. If you're seeing this with most of your shoes, I'd guess it's your strike. I wouldn't worry about it unless you believe it's responsible for injury or the potential of.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @Elise4270 I lived in Wilburton a short while as a child and have been to Robbers Cave! I'd love to go again as it's not far from where I live now but my husband is so not into hiking. Sigh. That's one of my favorite childhood memories though <3

Aww, come on over! We had fun yesterday. We're staying til Wednesday in a cabin. Horseback riding today. Lucky horses, tromping about.

Where in the world do people eat in this town? Sonic, pizza hut, and a Mexican restaurant that had bad reviews. We went to Pete's in Krebs- not impressed. We have a fire pit and the wind has calmed down, maybe we can just roast some hot dogs (yuck). Haha!

I tell you what, I love hiking and anytime you wanna plan a girls trip, I'm down. @ceciliaslater too.

Haha, kids next to us are out playing- one is sentencing the other to the hanging judge. Must be from Arkansas! Too cute.

View from back of the cabin. DH included.
    20161018_082653_zpsodj1abs8.jpg
  • lissadecker
    lissadecker Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    October goal: 50 miles
    10/1: 1.75 miles
    10/2: 3.15 miles
    10/3: 2.25 miles
    10/4: 2 miles
    10/5: 2 miles
    10/6: Rest Day
    10/7: 2 miles
    10/8: 2.25 miles
    10/9: 3.15 miles
    10/10: 2.25 miles
    10/11: 2.25 miles
    10/12: 2.5 miles
    10/13: 2 miles
    10/14: Rest Day
    10/15: 4.19 miles (2.25 + 1.9) <<<
    10/16: 2.25 miles
    10/17: 2.25 miles
    Today: 2.5 miles

Total/October: 38.7 miles

Today's run was pretty slow and sluggish. After going faster than usual yesterday and doing an extra 2 miles or so on the bike this morning, my legs felt heavy. Stubborn as I am that means that I just pushed an extra quarter mile cause I felt I needed it. Hubby didn't get up (not surprising, he is not a morning person) and my boxer, George, wasn't feeling well so it was just me and Fergus. I think I may need to leave George at home in the mornings. She's been limping a lot at the end of the day and I think 3.5 miles a day is just too much for her at her age. I'll probably just get a shorter evening walk in with her instead. Fergus is still young and a greyhound mix though so he is always up for a run!

@MobyCarp I am sorry that your aren't able to go as hard as you'd like. After reading your daily check-ins, I must say you do have me wondering how long your hallway is and how you cook your eggs. It's just curiosity really. Enjoy your breakfast! :)

@kristinegift The best massages that I have had have left me feeling like I was run over by a truck right after. But then, then next day or two are just amazing! Sounds like that one might be a keeper!

@7lenny7, @9voice9 & @Stoshew71 I like Skynard, too. I am most definitely an Allman Brothers fan. The past few years I have really been liking Tedeschi Trucks very much and have tried to catch them every time they come to town. The only World Series I would consider going to would be a Cubs World Series and that would just be so epic that I don't think I would miss it for any band.
  • TattooedDolphinGirl78
    TattooedDolphinGirl78 Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    exercise.png

1/10: 5.09 km (running and squatting in a cornfield scaring people in my PT job for Halloween season)
    2/10: REST
    3/10: 5.02 km (1/3 interval, 2/3 steady treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms and core)
    4/10: 5.01 km (steady treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga
    5/10: 5.16 km (minimal progression run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)
    6/10: 5.03 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (chest and legs)
    7/10: 5.20 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (upper back and core) + 4.00 km (running and squatting in a cornfield)
    8/10: 5.00 km (running and squatting in a cornfield)
    9/10: REST
    10/10: 10.39 km (general hike and spelunking in a cave)
    11/10: 5.03 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (shoulders and core)
    12/10: 5.00 km (mild progression run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (arms and legs)
    13/10: 4.74 km (steady pace run) + 20 mins yoga + strength exercises (chest and core)
    14/10: 3.50 km (interval treadmill walk/run) + 20 mins yoga
    15/10: REST
    16/10: REST
    17/10: 5.06 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga + upper body and core exercises
    18/10: 5.00 km (interval treadmill run) + 20 mins yoga

Current PR: 5K in 32:50 / 10K in 1:12:07 / 20K in 2:45:11

Races:

20/10-01/11: Zombies Run! App 2016 Fall Virtual Run
  • mmteixeira
    mmteixeira Posts: 118 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @7lenny7, @9voice9 , @Stoshew71, @lissadecker the best part of this discussion is they are both excellent - Skynyrd and the Allmans - can't lose with either - Tedeschi Trucks another great choice... listening to Made Up Mind right now - I love how Tedeshi's voice has many similarities to Bonnie Raitt. In the Tedschi Trucks vein, try Joanne Shaw Taylor - excellent blues guitarist and a voice I really like...
  • Franacious
    Franacious Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I took a few days of vacation with my daughter so missed about 5 days of running this month. I didn't realize how far behind that would put me, but I'm determined to reach my goal! 60 wasn't a lofty goal, completely manageable, even for my slow pace and low endurance. It's time to step it up!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    One happy note about today's OK run...I was about halfway through mile 6 which, I know, isn't that super far, but I felt like I could keep running at that pace/HR forever.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Way behind on everyone's updates...will try to get caught up this week. (especially the one just above here about blues...love Tedeschi Trucks Band!)

My half on Sunday was a mixed bag. It was a new course for the IMT Half Marathon and added one large hill that wasn't included previously. It was warmer than I think everyone had hoped, and humid! I hadn't done enough hill and speed work coming in, so didn't have a specific goal.

I started with the 1:50 pace group to make sure I didn't go out too fast, but probably did so a little bit. It was really foggy and pavement was a bit slippery, so everyone was being a bit ginger. After the split from the full marathon group just past two mile mark, it was pretty comfortable. My glasses were fogged over until about the last three miles or so. At that point, the fog started to lift a little, coinciding with the large hill and a slight bump in temperature - plus a funky odor coming from the East Side. Mile 11 was my slowest split. Didn't have a lot left in the tank for a final push.

Finished in 1:53:06. As always, I did horribly at running tangents, so it was 13.37 miles. I am pleased with that time - 3rd fastest of the 7 half marathons I have done.

10/1 - 12.2 mile group run. It was a nice cool morning.
    10/2 - Rest day with much over-eating.
    10/3 - Overslept, but squeezed in a short 3.1 miles.
    10/4 - Bodypump class, then a TOUGH Abs/Core class. Finally won the Snooze Button Battle!
    10/5 - 5.06 miles. After last night's rain, we have officially begun slippery leaf season.
    10/6 - Taper / rest day. Only 10 days until IMT Half Marathon. Can't wait...love the race day atmosphere!
    10/7 - 5.01 miles. Chilly and windy today = long sleeves and tights
    10/8 - 7.9 miles. Lovely morning.
    10/9 - Rest day.
    10/10 - Sick day...quick 24-hour virus.
    10/11 - 4.65 miles.
    10/12 - 5.0 miles. Windy. Negative splits...whoop!
    10/13 - Family sick day...wife/daughter have whatever I did.
    10/14 - 5.06 miles. Relaxed, easy...felt like I could go forever. Alas, there is a race to be run on Sunday and a job to go to.
    10/15 - Pre-race rest day.
    10/16 - 13.37 miles.
    10/17 - Rest / Recovery
    10/18 - 3 mile recovery run. Hurt a bit in the hips.

exercise.png
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    So I've been SERIOUSLY slacking this summer . . . really my own fault and have no one to blame but myself. So to ease myself back into running I've decided to make October my marathon month in that I will run at least a marathon distance over the month (hopefully more, but since I'm just getting back into it I don't wanna go too crazy although my body is saying run more, run more, run more lol).

So goal: 26.2 miles

October 4 - 1.7 miles
    October 5 - Rest
    October 6 - Rest
    October 7 - 1.75 miles
    October 8 - Rest
    October 9 - Ended up doing a super long walk with the dog, so didn't run but enjoyed the fall weather
    October 10 - 1.75 miles
    October 11 - 16 - Resting a nagging hip and foam rolling . . . not sure what I did because I didn't run that much but it hurt.
    October 17 - 1.8 miles

Distance to goal: 19.2 miles

• Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I need a bit of advice - Having only been running for 10 months now I'm sure my form could use some improvement but the wear pattern on my running sneakers has me confused a bit. I rotate 4 pairs of shoes and a couple of them are starting to show significant wear on the outside heels. The blue image is my New Balance m880v6's - with about 60 miles on them. The other image is my Hoka One One Clifton 3's with about 50 miles on them. The wear on the outside heels seems a bit extreme for a simple heel striker with less that 60 miles on them - one would think I drag my feet with that much wear on the heel but I don't believe I do. I will note that I have not experienced any real soreness or pain in the last 10 months going from the couch to 8 miles - I would have thought if there was something in my form I would have felt it.

I have the same issue and it is the reason I have tried a number of different shoe models and brands. They all wear quickly on the outside of the heels. I also have not had any significant pains or injuries, but I only get 120-150 miles out of a pair of shoes. I feel that a large part of my issue is weight related (not many shoe companies plan for a 250 lb runner).

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 That's awesome. I was only 3-4 when we LIVED there but we visited when I was 9 and stayed in a cabin. Seriously BEST VACATION EVER. I don't remember what we ate except Fern's which then burned down. I can't believe it's been 26 years since I've been. That's insane. This needs to be corrected. LOL
    @MobyCarp I am sorry that your aren't able to go as hard as you'd like. After reading your daily check-ins, I must say you do have me wondering how long your hallway is and how you cook your eggs. It's just curiosity really. Enjoy your breakfast! :)
    This made me laugh this morning..... and also this
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    (imagine holding a quarter between your butt cheeks as you run)

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    10/3 - 5 miles
    10/6 - 6 miles
    10/7 - 3 miles
    10/8 - 4 miles
    10/11 - 6 miles
    10/16 - 4 miles
    10/17 - 5 miles
    10/18 - 0 - had to get in early today so I can leave at noon for Skip's meet

33 out of 115 miles

@mbaker566 I just saw your pictures. I'm so glad that you ran in the races, I'm sure it was very bittersweet. I know Adam was there at the finish cheering you on in spirit. When you mentioned his ring it made me thing of this. When my Dad passed my mom had his wedding ring reshaped into a heart and put on a chain. When she passed last month I wore it to his memorial.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the pacing advice, everyone. I'm feeling better about it today. And I just found out I get an early start, so that made me happy as I was anxious about making it to the cut-off point due to road closures. I think they realized they had based it on everyone starting at exactly the start time, rather than allowing for the fact the last corral would be starting much later, so moved everyone in the last corral (me) to an early start.

The bad news is it has been pouring rain here for days, and it is now supposed to rain on Sunday morning too. I didn't have to do a single long run in heavy rain yet, so that will suck if it's true. Fingers crossed the weather beings have it wrong!

And . . . I think y'all complaining about tapering are out of your minds. I'm loving it - too much, in fact lol. I have given myself a diet break and am eating at maintenance. I only hope I'm not ten pounds heavier by race day.

1: 4.02 miles (aerobic)
    2: 6.01 miles (long with 5 x 1/4 mile zone 3 intervals)
    3: 3.00 miles (recovery)
    4: 3.72 miles (tempo)
    5: rest
    6: 6.97 miles (aerobic)
    7: rest
    8: bailed due to rain and other lame excuses
    9: 13.12 miles (long with 12 x 1/4 mile zone 2 intervals and zone 2 finish)
    10. 2.53 miles (recovery)
    11. skipped (grumpy quad and a bad attitude)
    12. 3.42 miles (tempo)
    13. 2.85 miles (aerobic)
    14. rest
    15. 10 miles (long at different pace intervals with fast finish)
    16. 4.01 miles
    17. rest
    18. 2.95 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming Race: Oct 23rd Vancouver Rock n Roll Half-Marathon
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7, @9voice9 , @Stoshew71, @lissadecker the best part of this discussion is they are both excellent - Skynyrd and the Allmans - can't lose with either - Tedeschi Trucks another great choice... listening to Made Up Mind right now - I love how Tedeshi's voice has many similarities to Bonnie Raitt. In the Tedschi Trucks vein, try Joanne Shaw Taylor - excellent blues guitarist and a voice I really like...

Love TTB! Also, Gov't Mule. Joanne Shaw Taylor is great...I really like her "White Sugar" album.