bigger belly at the end of the day ?

Options
2»

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Yeah I've never experienced anything I'd call "bloat". I've eaten a lot and had a big buldge in my stomach as a result and felt overfull but thats because I ate a ton. Is that "bloat"? If so why do we have a special word for overeating.

If that isn't bloat then what is bloat, just having a pooch in your stomach area due to water retention? I mean that will happen but thats pretty natural, not sure its something worth trying to avoid.

I view bloat as water retention or gas from the foods I ate. I don't even have to overeat but if I consume a lot of fiber or protein in one go, I will feel like there's extra air in my stomach.

As far as stomach distension because I *did* consume too much food, that's called a 'food baby'.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've never experienced anything I'd call "bloat". I've eaten a lot and had a big buldge in my stomach as a result and felt overfull but thats because I ate a ton. Is that "bloat"? If so why do we have a special word for overeating.

If that isn't bloat then what is bloat, just having a pooch in your stomach area due to water retention? I mean that will happen but thats pretty natural, not sure its something worth trying to avoid.

I refer to bloat as protruding belly due to whatever may be happening. Water retention, undigested food, gas, hormones. "Bloat" is a broad term. Like "sick", I guess.
    Being sick can be caused by many things but its a term used generally.
    Women tend to be more mindful of our middle and therefore may notice it more. We also fluctuate more than men so maybe thats why its such a common word for us whiners. ;)
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

I refer to bloat as protruding belly due to whatever may be happening. Water retention, undigested food, gas, hormones. "Bloat" is a broad term. Like "sick", I guess.
    Women tend to be more mindful of our middle and therefore may notice it more. We also fluctuate more than men so maybe thats why its such a common word for us whiners. ;)

If I was to hazard a guess I think women's clothes also tend to be tighter fitted then mens so that a "bloated" belly is potentially noticible which causes them concern? For guys its still under the baggy shirt for the most part.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

If I was to hazard a guess I think women's clothes also tend to be tighter fitted then mens so that a "bloated" belly is potentially noticible which causes them concern? For guys its still under the baggy shirt for the most part.

Yes, that could be it too. That's also why I like leggings that go over my belly in this scenario lol
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    my husband's belly gets bigger by the end of the day... i try not to stare at it.. lol..
  • Mariekegetsfit
    Mariekegetsfit Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when i eat certain foods or randomly after exercising my tummy blows up so tight it hurts.
    All these reasons why it is more noticable in woman are probably right, but bloating can also be painfull so men would notice that as well right? ;)
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Its a hazard to guess anything about our clothes Aaron...you dont want to know. ;)
  • Whitbygramgirl
    Whitbygramgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    So there could be a few things happening; you have an allergy to wheat (sensitivity) or celiac disease. I have discovered that if I eat a lot of wheat - I bloat like crazy. (Also Diarhea). Probiotics are really good for your gut bacteria - I would recommend taking them. If you are having too much fiber and not enough water, you will be bloated. If you drink a lot of beer, you will be bloated. Sodium is a factor too as others have mentioned.

One yoga pose to help with bloating at the end of the day is the child's pose. it does help.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Its a hazard to guess anything about our clothes Aaron...you dont want to know. ;)

hah I know I know, trust me I had second and third thoughts about posting that at all. You guys do you.
  • healthy491
    healthy491 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for you awesome replies :) I have been eating a lot of bread lately so that may be why ! Not sure if its bad or not
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that if i have yogurt such as Activia in the evening after dinner i don't bloat nearly as much as usual.

@Aaron_K123 probably hard for you to relate :tongue: but imagine being 4-5mths pregnant, this is what i resemble by the end of the night.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I've noticed that if i have yogurt such as Activia in the evening after dinner i don't bloat nearly as much as usual.

@Aaron_K123 probably hard for you to relate :tongue: but imagine being 4-5mths pregnant, this is what i resemble by the end of the night.

Right now believe it or not I am probably more likely to relate to that than you might think.