why does sugar make us fat

Options

Replies

• chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sugar and carbs absolutely make you fat! What do you think beer belly is? There's no fat in beer. The body converts sugar/carbs into fat if it can't utilize it immediately for fuel. Doesn't matter if excess calories. I can run a calorie deficit and gain weight if I consume too many carbs without using them. Sugar and carbs also make you more hungry like eating Chinese food. Your insulin gets high which blocks your satiety signals to your brain. Your body won't burn fat until the glycogen is depleted. First it uses glycogen, then it uses fat as reserve.

No they don't.

I eat sugar. By your logic I should be gaining weight, not losing it. Please explain how I've lost a little over 90lbs, @imajollyroger? I'm all ears/eyes.

Also, fat does NOT make anyone fat. That's old school weight loss woo.

You know what actually makes all mammals fat?

Excess calories.
    1st that's wonderful that you've lost 90 lbs! I whole support any means and method that people find that works for themselves to lose weight or become healthy. We all have our personal experiences and perspectives. To answer your question though, I would explain it that by cutting your calories, you actually cut your carbs too. Likewise, when humans consume exces calories, we are most likely consuming excess carbs.

When I consume excess calories these days it's usually in fat (cheese, charcuterie) and alcohol (wine). When I was losing 30 lbs, I didn't cut carbs very much - I cut calorie-dense, low-nutrition items like potato chips and cheesy crackers (fat+carbs) and beer (alcohol+carbs), and I reduced how much oil I used in cooking (pure fat). I wasn't eating all that much sugar to begin with. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
    Hi Owl, but those potato chips, even though low nutrition/high calorie were carbs, the crackers were carbs, and the beer was carbs. Now you are consuming less carbs and more fat. This is what has worked for me also and a lot of research is validating.

No, I'm not. I cut fat too. My carb:fat ratio has remained about the same, except for the nights where I eat a cheese plate, which is way too easy to overeat on because I don't feel full on high-fat foods. Also, why are you reducing foods that have multiple macronutrients to being carbs??? They are more than just carbs. Using your reasoning, I could just as easily say fat and alcohol are what make people fat, because when I reduced those things I lost weight.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    When you cut carbs you cut calories, when you cut fat you cut calories. Hmmm, what do they have in common? Let me think...

It just can't be that simple....

And for the record, I increased carbs while losing weight.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    When you cut carbs you cut calories, when you cut fat you cut calories. Hmmm, what do they have in common? Let me think...

It just can't be that simple....

And for the record, I increased carbs while losing weight.

Sound the alarms, we have a special snowflake!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sugar and carbs absolutely make you fat! What do you think beer belly is? There's no fat in beer. The body converts sugar/carbs into fat if it can't utilize it immediately for fuel. Doesn't matter if excess calories. I can run a calorie deficit and gain weight if I consume too many carbs without using them. Sugar and carbs also make you more hungry like eating Chinese food. Your insulin gets high which blocks your satiety signals to your brain. Your body won't burn fat until the glycogen is depleted. First it uses glycogen, then it uses fat as reserve.

No they don't.

I eat sugar. By your logic I should be gaining weight, not losing it. Please explain how I've lost a little over 90lbs, @imajollyroger? I'm all ears/eyes.

Excess calories.
    1st that's wonderful that you've lost 90 lbs! I whole support any means and method that people find that works for themselves to lose weight or become healthy. We all have our personal experiences and perspectives. To answer your question though, I would explain it that by cutting your calories, you actually cut your carbs too. Likewise, when humans consume exces calories, we are most likely consuming excess carbs.

When I consume excess calories these days it's usually in fat (cheese, charcuterie) and alcohol (wine). When I was losing 30 lbs, I didn't cut carbs very much - I cut calorie-dense, low-nutrition items like potato chips and cheesy crackers (fat+carbs) and beer (alcohol+carbs), and I reduced how much oil I used in cooking (pure fat). I wasn't eating all that much sugar to begin with. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.
    Hi Owl, but those potato chips, even though low nutrition/high calorie were carbs, the crackers were carbs, and the beer was carbs. Now you are consuming less carbs and more fat. This is what has worked for me also and a lot of research is validating.

When I started dieting, fat was the first macro I cut. I went from about 50% or more of my intake from fat to about 20%. When you go by calories, I reduced my fat intake from roughly 200 grams to now roughly 30-50 grams. That's a 4 fold decrease in fat. On days I overeat, it does go higher to about 90 or so. My relative carb intake went from about 35% to currently 60%. Fat is not filling to me at all, and the days I go over calories it's mostly from fat. I have lost more than 100 lbs so fat, and no I'm not "constantly hungry" like some people believe non low carbers are. In fact, starchy foods are the most satiating foods for me.

As for sugar, my intake has not changed at all. Back then I had the odd candy bar every now and then, and now I have the odd candy bar every now and then (plus any desserts mom feels like baking every couple of months). I do use a sweetener in some cases, but I make up for that by adding sugar to my oatmeal, which I never thought to eat when I was 100 lb heavier.

Apparently, us moderate carbers are lying and are secretly reducing our carbs. Vegans (whose average BMI is lower overall and their carbs are higher overall) also don't exist.
  • RebeccaNaegle
    RebeccaNaegle Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    sugar doesn't make you fat. eating too much food makes you fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

No they don't.

Excess calories.

I'm not 100%, but am substantially vegetarian...I eat a lot of carbs 'cuz carbs grow.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    jeshutt wrote: »
    I've read a lot of research that indicates carbs are the main culprit - particularly refined carbs like sugar and white flour - and that the 'calories in/calories out model doesn't work. Many of you clearly disagree. Point me to the research, please.

The Japanese have one of the lowest obesity rates in the world and a carb heavy diet...they also eat a lot of "refined" white rice.

Also, if this were true pretty much every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would have issues...their diets tend to be higher carb as many vegetarian protein sources are also huge sources of carbohydrates.

Calories in and calories out is math...of course it works.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

No they don't.

Excess calories.

No.

It's the other way around.

Excess calories are what makes us fat. If you are losing weight on a low carb diet, then you're losing weight because you have created a calorie deficit by lowering your carb intake. This approach is fine for some, but it's not the only way to skin the cat.

How would you explain someone eating a high-carb vegan diet losing weight with a calorie deficit?

Calories are king. Not carbs.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

No they don't.

Excess calories.

How do you explain the man who did the Twinkie diet and lost weight?
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Sugar does not make us fat - excess calories make us fat.

Sugar is easily and readily metabolized into oxidizable energy. the fuel window for that is about 3-4 hours. Chances are (based on 2/3 of the US being overweight), a person has not used the amount of calories they just ate, so when the person's brain is sent signals from the stomach that it needs food again, the person eats again, whereby making the food they just ate be excess because they have not burned the calories off. Alas, weight is gained, and the cycle continues

This is not a compound problem, but an addition one. Among the complexities of the human metabolic system, it comes down to this: did you burn more calories than your last meal before your next one? The more you answer "yes" to this question, the better chance you have of losing weight.

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers because of how fast it is metabolized.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    To answer your question though, I would explain it that by cutting your calories, you actually cut your carbs too. Likewise, when humans consume exces calories, we are most likely consuming excess carbs.

Incorrect...

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

No they don't.

Excess calories.

How do you explain the man who did the Twinkie diet and lost weight?

Special snowflake! :laugh:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jdwils14 wrote: »

Sugar is easily and readily metabolized into oxidizable energy. the fuel window for that is about 3-4 hours. Chances are (based on 2/3 of the US being overweight), a person has not used the amount of calories they just ate, so when the person's brain is sent signals from the stomach that it needs food again, the person eats again, whereby making the food they just ate be excess because they have not burned the calories off. Alas, weight is gained, and the cycle continues

This is not a compound problem, but an addition one. Among the complexities of the human metabolic system, it comes down to this: did you burn more calories than your last meal before your next one? The more you answer "yes" to this question, the better chance you have of losing weight.

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers.

So does fatty beef or high levels of oils...so?
  • J72FIT
    Options

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers because of how fast it is metabolized.

I must be a martian then...
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Sugar decreased your chances of having more "yes" answers.

So does fatty beef or high levels of oils...so?

Fats have actually been shown to take longer to digest and increase that time between meals due to the non-release of grehlin, if the nutrition is appropriate. When combined with carbs (i.e. hamburgers and hotdogs), the effects are reduced.

Lipids cannot be utilized by the red blood cells for energy. They require glucose. Therefore, the body must do more to convert them into ready energy the cells can use. This process slows the digestive process, which slows down hunger levels.

I can go 8-10 hours on eggs and butter, whereas I couldn't even come close to that eating cereal.
  • imajollyroger
    imajollyroger Posts: 9 Member
    Options

No they don't.

Excess calories.

No, I'm not. I cut fat too. My carb:fat ratio has remained about the same, except for the nights where I eat a cheese plate, which is way too easy to overeat on because I don't feel full on high-fat foods. Also, why are you reducing foods that have multiple macronutrients to being carbs??? They are more than just carbs. Using your reasoning, I could just as easily say fat and alcohol are what make people fat, because when I reduced those things I lost weight.
    I don't know you and I want to be clear here, it is awesome that everyone here is doing positive things for their health. I'm not here to argue with anyone. Health, wellness and fitness are a passion and I want everyone to experience it. We should be a positive community that is open to everyone's perspective. I jumped in this discussion a little aggressively. I accept responsibility for that. I had just discovered the community and been on MFP for about 4 yrs. That being said, It doesn't make sense if you cut potato chips, crackers and beer and now you consume more fat and wine that your carb/fat ratio would be the same. I understand the fullness. I can feel the same with high fat foods sometimes but I'm satisfied not full. The brain shuts off the feeding signal unlike with high consumption of carbs and sugar. I reduce foods, especially processed foods, to their macro carb content because that is what is being scientifically proven to cause the obesity epidemic, not the fat. "We" took the fat out of foods in the 80s, made everything low fat/high carb and obesity, heart disease, and diabetes have skyrocketed--globally.