Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    serapel wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ok so I've tried a lil experiment on myself a number of times.

I will eat the same cals = 2100

One week with high protein, low carbs...I will be about 1 lb lighter and not hungry at night

One week high carbs and sugar (chocolate for lunch yum)...I will be about 2 lbs heavier and very hungry at night.

Why would this be if I'm eating the same amount of calories?

One week isn't enough data to conclude anything at all. Beyond that, if you're lower carb you are going to hold onto less water and deplete glycogen...increase carbs and you're going to hold onto more water and replenish glycogen..those things have mass and thus weight...

If carbs hindered or caused weight gain, every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would be obese. You can also look at populations like Japan who have one of the lowest if not the lowest obesity rates...high carb diet.

I eat a substantially plant based diet which means I eat a lot of carbs...lots of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice and pasta, etc...I do just fine with satiety...

In your post, you're primarily looking at carbs as "junk"...who the frack has chocolate for lunch? That's not lunch, that's a snack treat. I don't know anyone who would be satiated just eating chocolate for lunch...there are numerous sources of highly nutritious carbohydrates...this crap gets really old...

Whatev

Whatev what? Yeah...you're going to be hungry if all you have is chocolate for lunch...your "experiment" is inherently flawed...like big time.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

One week with high protein, low carbs...I will be about 1 lb lighter and not hungry at night

One week high carbs and sugar (chocolate for lunch yum)...I will be about 2 lbs heavier and very hungry at night.

One week isn't enough data to conclude anything at all. Beyond that, if you're lower carb you are going to hold onto less water and deplete glycogen...increase carbs and you're going to hold onto more water and replenish glycogen..those things have mass and thus weight...

If carbs hindered or caused weight gain, every vegetarian and vegan on the planet would be obese. You can also look at populations like Japan who have one of the lowest if not the lowest obesity rates...high carb diet.

I eat a substantially plant based diet which means I eat a lot of carbs...lots of beans and lentils and potatoes and sweet potatoes and rice and pasta, etc...I do just fine with satiety...

In your post, you're primarily looking at carbs as "junk"...who the frack has chocolate for lunch? That's not lunch, that's a snack treat. I don't know anyone who would be satiated just eating chocolate for lunch...there are numerous sources of highly nutritious carbohydrates...this crap gets really old...

Whatev

Whatev what? Yeah...you're going to be hungry if all you have is chocolate for lunch...your "experiment" is inherently flawed...like big time.

Exactly. I could never understand this strawman, eating nothing but candy for all meals is as rediculous and unrealistic for most people as eating nothing but lard. Even if we ignore that, chocolate would not be a good test candidate because it also has a lot of fat, which would skew the results.

Here is another rediculous test to try for 1200 calories: 10 tbsp of oil vs 24 pounds of sour cucumber pickles (that's more than 100 grams of sugar)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Whatev
    That's all you have to an intelligent response? "Whatev"?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Hey guys, low carb makes you fat!
    Here's proof: Eat a diet high in carbs (lots of veggies and fruits and other goodies!) then a diet of nothing but bacon, eggs, spare ribs, bulletproof coffee... No evil carbs! All healthy saturated fats, yummie.

Challenge accepted!!!!

Me too! I can seriously eat a kitten load of baby back ribs. My hubby makes them in the smoker!

That's strange @queenliz99 most people like pig ribs

Takes all sorts

Not me. I like little bitty kitty ribs!

I just picked up 4 lbs of lamb ribs. Cant wait to try them.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Here's proof: Eat a diet high in carbs (lots of veggies and fruits and other goodies!) then a diet of nothing but bacon, eggs, spare ribs, bulletproof coffee... No evil carbs! All healthy saturated fats, yummie.

Challenge accepted!!!!

Me too! I can seriously eat a kitten load of baby back ribs. My hubby makes them in the smoker!

Takes all sorts

Yummy! How are you preparing them!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Challenge accepted!!!!

Takes all sorts

Seems like a good way to help control the cat population.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    It doesn't.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options

Challenge accepted!!!!

Takes all sorts

Yummy! How are you preparing them!

Once i figure it out i will post. Its my first time picking them up.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I got an email this morning from a company called MedCan here in Canada with a link to an interesting article they have written. Something for everyone here. For the "fearful of sugar" crowd there are some interesting statements and a link to a recent study in Cell, as well as some work by a young molecular biologist. As example:

"Growing research details how sugar affects the brain cells that influence our appetite. A study published in Cell on rodents, found that the brain not only consumes more sugar than any other organ in the body, but it actively seeks sugar from the bloodstream. We are starting to learn that excessive sugar intake can impact the brain on a molecular level, which can lead to negative outcomes such as excessive eating and eventually obesity."

and

"“This study confirms that our eating habits are psychological at the cellular level,” says Megan Scully, a registered dietitian at Medcan, who adds that most Canadians eat more than the recommended 6 to 9 teaspoons a day (one regular can of pop contains 10 teaspoons of sugar). High-sugar diets have been linked to impaired memory and learning, depressed mood and cognitive decline."

The "sugar is fine" crowd probably already noticed the word "rodent"and is ready to dismiss any findings based on the fact that the study was not done on humans.

See? Something for everyone.

The article: http://www.medcan.com/medcan-insights/expert-perspectives/new-findings-sugar-alters-brain/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=b2c

The study: http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(16)30974-6

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There was a dude who lost weight on a MacDonald's only diet...can't remember his name. That would be awesome!!! I love MacD's frenchfries. YUM.

Tom Naughton. His food diary during the experiment was very detailed and most days he ate under 2,000 calories, and quite frequently it was in the 1,800 calorie range. I'm a 38 year old female and my maintenance range is around the amount of calories he was consuming. As a guy his maintenance calorie range is probably quite a bit higher. He created a calorie deficit and lost weight. Simple as that.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    I got an email this morning from a company called MedCan here in Canada with a link to an interesting article they have written. Something for everyone here. For the "fearful of sugar" crowd there are some interesting statements and a link to a recent study in Cell, as well as some work by a young molecular biologist. As example:

"Growing research details how sugar affects the brain cells that influence our appetite. A study published in Cell on rodents, found that the brain not only consumes more sugar than any other organ in the body, but it actively seeks sugar from the bloodstream. We are starting to learn that excessive sugar intake can impact the brain on a molecular level, which can lead to negative outcomes such as excessive eating and eventually obesity."

and

"“This study confirms that our eating habits are psychological at the cellular level,” says Megan Scully, a registered dietitian at Medcan, who adds that most Canadians eat more than the recommended 6 to 9 teaspoons a day (one regular can of pop contains 10 teaspoons of sugar). High-sugar diets have been linked to impaired memory and learning, depressed mood and cognitive decline."

The "sugar is fine" crowd probably already noticed the word "rodent"and is ready to dismiss any findings based on the fact that the study was not done on humans.

See? Something for everyone.

The article: http://www.medcan.com/medcan-insights/expert-perspectives/new-findings-sugar-alters-brain/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=b2c

The study: http://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(16)30974-6

This email is confusing, I'm not sure if they are selling something and being misleading on purpose or simply ignorant. The brain does seek out "sugar". That sugar is not the sugar you eat, it's the sugar your body makes for the brain to fuel itself. Even if you eat zero added sugar you will still be actively making glucose for the brain. How they jump from a basic biochemical function that happens regardless of the kinds of foods eaten to sugar causing obesity is mind boggling. That's like saying "our blood actively circulates fat, therefore, fat affects us on the molecular level and makes us fat"

(neither link works by the way)

This stuff is like marketing material so dumbed down and sensationalized. Sorry about the links. I'm pecking on my phone.

Try this:
    http://www.sciencealert.com/sugar-is-controlling-our-brains-more-than-we-even-realised-study-finds
  • goldthistime
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Of course the brain seeks sugar from the bloodstream - the brain runs exclusively on glucose. Even on a keto diet, the fats will be converted to sugar for the brain because it needs glucose to function. That hardly translates into the brain being wired to create sugar cravings and obesity - if that were the case, every human in the world would be obese and have uncontrollable sugar cravings, because our brains all work the same. This is one case in which there are definitely no 'special snowflakes'.

To be clear, nobody is arguing that an excess of sugar is good for people and that it's perfectly okay to shovel down as much of it as you want without restraint. The point being made is that sugar, in moderation, is not the devil and does not cause diseases or obesity. There's nothing wrong with making a conscious choice to reduce the intake of added sugars in one's diet, but it's not a substance which needs to be feared and totally excluded either.

I agree that no one here advocates excessive sugar consumption. And the Medcan article agrees that moderate consumption is what we should all aim for (although we may have differing definitions of moderate). The article/study was, I thought, a possible answer to the question "How does EXCESSIVE sugar make us gain weight?".
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I'm still not sure how that article is supposed to shed light on anything since the action observed which affected appetite seemed to stem from missing insulin receptors on the glial cells that weren't allowing them to uptake glucose.

That has nothing at all to do with sugar consumption.
  • goldthistime
    Options
    Here's more from the MedCan article if that helps:

"How too much sugar turns off the ‘enough’ switch

Scientists previously believed that the brain absorbed sugar as a passive action. They’ve since discovered glial cells (specifically the astrocytes that form the blood-brain barrier), which comprise about 90% of the brain’s cells, actively seek and essentially slurp sugar.
    “Hormones, such as leptin and insulin, control the sugar intake into the brain through receptors on the astrocytes. This switch acts like an alarm bell to let our brains know that we are full and should stop eating. Being overweight or obese is one of the leading risk factors for developing hormone resistance and an excessive sugar intake can contribute to this,” says Scully. “We are also learning that it is possible to become leptin resistant (not just insulin resistant) – meaning, the brain doesn’t receive the signal from the adipose tissue via the leptin hormone. That means, the hunger switch remains on, even when the body has received an adequate amount of fat or sugar, which can contribute to excessive eating.”
    “So this study suggests that if the brain actively seeks sugar from our bloodstream, and the ‘enough’ signal is not being activated, we may eat more than we need.”
  • goldthistime
    Options
    The MedCan article also links to this article. Preliminary, proves nothing if you are looking for proof of some sort, but interesting.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/10/04/496560373/this-scientist-is-trying-to-unravel-what-sugar-does-to-the-brain
  • goldthistime
    Options
    I'm still not sure how that article is supposed to shed light on anything since the action observed which affected appetite seemed to stem from missing insulin receptors on the glial cells that weren't allowing them to uptake glucose.

That has nothing at all to do with sugar consumption.

I see your point btw. I don't have an answer.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Another reason sugar causes fat is because people act like its a another food group...everything that is in the aisles of our grocery stores has more sugar than the most food in the perimeter of our grocery stores. They go into denial when they cannot have their mocha frappacino at Starbucks or when their cracker tastes bland. My tastebuds have been set back to "normal." My family, however, are in revolt to my new standards of seasoning in foods.