Caffeine and weight loss?

Options
Hello all,

Over the last couple of days, I've seen quite a few people mentioning that they are trying to cut coffee out of their diet to help weight loss. So far, however, no one has pointed out precisely why caffeine is bad weight loss. I drink at least three cups of coffee a day, and I dread the idea of staying clear of the wonder that coffee is.

What's the deal with weight loss and coffee? Surely, moderate amounts shouldn't be a major obstacle to losing a few lbs a month?

Replies

• Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Ive just cut out caffeine to help my jangling nerves and my stomach issues. Makes me feel better, which in turn helps me make healthier food choices.

Im one of those few people that coffee causes thier blood sugar to dip. It makes me hungrier and tired. Plus it plays havoc with my ibs.
  • QuixoticNeurotic
    QuixoticNeurotic Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people may cut it out for their weight loss "journey" as in the healthier lifestyle part.

But theoretically because of how caffeine works it gives you a boost then a low - some people's low might be in the form of hunger?

That or possibly the milk/sugar calories if they're really addicted to lots of cups?

Personally when I was losing more weight (and thus had a higher deficit) I cut it out for a while because it started to make me nauseous- but now I love my coffee again! ☕️
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Caffeine is not bad for weight loss, the reason some would do it is because they tend to have high calorie coffee drinks and don't feel like drinking it black is their thing, or so I would assume. I can't think of a single other reason other than this and what @Whitezombiegirl mentioned to cut caffeine for weight loss.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is actually not bad for weight loss or in general for that matter in moderation, of course removing medical issues from the equation.

I agree that the ones that say they are cutting it out, give no reason for why. There was a thread I saw just yesterday where someone said they were cutting it out of their diet but did not explain why..

The only thing I can think of is that they want to cut high calorie beverages or they are just trying to clean up their diet per se to weed out stimulants.. but again no one explains why..

• Berkgal33
    Berkgal33 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee every day, 2 cups with a bit of half and half. Log it. I drink a cup before the gym for the extra boost. If I'm extra hungry I will have an extra cup and it takes the edge off. 75 pounds down. 15 to go. Works for me.
  • eirikra
    eirikra Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cheers guys, that pretty much confirmed my suspicions. I take my coffee without any cream or sugar, so thankfully I can now put these concerns away without worrying about turning into a monster :smile:
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee but I do drink diet soda and black tea and consume quite a bit of caffeine. Didn't hinder my weight loss or current maintenance in any way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,895 Member
    Options
    My black coffee is not bad for weight loss ... unless ... sometimes when I reach about my 4th or 5th cup I start to feel a little shaky and a bit more hungry than usual, so I do have to watch it. Keep the coffee to just 4 cups and/or time that 4th cup to coincide with an afternoon snack.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is good for weight loss if anything as it's a mild appetite suppressant, the only problems with it is if you use it with creamer/sugar etc which adds excess empty calories that aren't satiating.

^^This.^^

Plus coffee is an awesome source of antioxidants.

It's been an integral part of my weight loss/maintenance. A serving of coffee (as I make it) has about 31 calories and is very satisfying to me--it fills me up, takes awhile to consume and satisfies the "hand to mouth" urge.

• capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I typically drink 6-8 cups a day (36 calories each) and had no troubles losing (in maintenancecurrently). But my caffeine intake has been this high for years. I wouldn't recommend someone else try it unless they suddenly want to hear colors and see sounds lol ;)
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Caffeine dehydrates, therefore if one would avoid drinking caffeine while dieting and drink only water, he/she would notice weightloss on the scale due to water loss.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Caffeine actually gives you more energy to push yourself harder in a workout. Not that I'm giving a biased response or anything. I love my family first and foremost, followed by coffee as a close second. I drink my first two cups of the day with a carefully measured .25 cup or 2% milk (mmm!), but if I want more later, it has to be black.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Caffeine has some mild benefits as some people have stated above. If you drink black coffee without sugar you can drink unlimited beverages with no concerns as they are all but calorie free. With the addition of milk, cream and sugar, one should track them accurately and account for them in your daily caloric intake.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I personally cut caffeine out because my main source of caffeine was Coke and Dr. Pepper (and I hate the diet versions). For me, even having one of those a day was a trigger to eat worse. I'm also highly prone to caffeine withdrawal headaches, which is why I would have to either have one a day or one every couple of days. Either way, I get hooked quick. I swapped to caffeine free Sprite Zero to fulfill my carbonation needs since it has zero caffeine and is the only diet soda I can tolerate (either that or Sparkle Ice or Welch's Essence also work). Caffeine is actually very beneficial to working out and can improve your performance pretty drastically. I think you have to deal with it as you do anything else. Moderation is best if that's an option. If you're like me and it serves as a trigger for behaving badly, find a way around it.
  • jackidoll
    jackidoll Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    From January till March 2016 I cut out caffeine completely and lost 12 pounds. The reason I lost weight was for several reasons. When I gave up coffee I wasn't as impulsive with food, my appetite was more natural. Also if you're like me and add sugary creamer to your coffee that can add about 150-200 calories to your day per cup of coffee. Instead of coffee I'd drink caramel chai tea with half and half and 1 truvia, greatly reducing my calorie intake.Not to mention I was running everyday. Its a combination of everything. You cannot change one thing to lose weight. There are several things you need to do and create good habits that happen effortlessly. :)
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Caffeine on it's own isn't really going to help lose weight but it won't hurt. If you combine it with ephedra/ephedrine it becomes very effective but if you live in the US you won't be able to do that.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Caffeine dehydrates, therefore if one would avoid drinking caffeine while dieting and drink only water, he/she would notice weightloss on the scale due to water loss.

Caffeine really only has a diuretic effect at higher levels. A few cups of coffee wouldn't do that and I couldn't do plain water for the rest of my life lol.