19yo and At least 400lbs--looking for some support

So this is my first post here. I've had a MyFitnessPal account for some time now. Every once-and-awhile I'll get into a small fitness tinge, but nothing really major at all. I'll start off with giving you all a concise version of my story.

I'm from a mid-sized town called Paducah, KY. About exactly halfway between St. Louis, MO and Nashville, TN. You may have heard of it, but probably not.

I'm 19 years old, graduated high-school by the skin of my teeth, and dropped out of college after my freshman year, partly because I was somehow suddenly awful at math (even after being in honors math classes between 6th and 11th grades), but also partly because I just felt I didn't need it. Now, three months and countless ventures and countless anxiety induced restless nights later, I'm currently a web designer and videographer for a local marketing startup, and the future is looking bright. In almost every way really, except for my health.

I've always been big, but I think I got lucky and always had it pretty easy throughout life from a social standpoint. Never really bullied at all; In fact, quite the opposite. In my high school I was in student government, ran pep-rallies, etc. When I got to college at Northern Kentucky University in Greater Cincinnati, I pledged one of the most well-known fraternities on campus in my spring semester and was the first-ever unanimous vote-in in the chapter's 36-year history. I was vice-president of the economics club and worked for the IT department on-campus. Needless to say, I've always been known, and being very recognizable, as a bigger guy, definitely helped.

But it never really helped me lose weight, for some reason. In fact, it may have hurt me.

I've never really felt pressured to change, at all. I've been known as the "big guy" my entire life. My pediatrician growing up told me that it was the craziest thing she'd ever seen. I was the first patient that she'd ever had that was massively overweight, but in perfect health internally. That was the case all the way up until about 2 years ago when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. At this point, a normal doctor, not a pediatrician, and she was definitely concerned. I believe at the time I was close to 450lbs. Going to college really helped, surprisingly. With how much walking was required to get around campus, It was probably inevitable. I haven't really been to the doctor in a while, but I would say I dropped close to 25lbs within a couple of months of being on-campus, living independently of my family.

I definitely think that aspect helped a bit as well. Whenever I would try to begin eating healthy, I would essentially have to eat by myself because nobody else in the family wanted to eat the things that I was cooking that were much healthier for me. This would essentially lead to my mom being mad because household food costs were rising (cooking 2 different meals every meal, basically), and we would all go back to our old ways of eating, which, most of the time, were rather unhealthy.

I know the basics of getting healthy: More out than in, track your macros, and don't be sedentary.

As a web designer and videographer, that's not the easiest thing in the world to do. When I'm not out filming, I'm sitting in front of a computer editing footage or designing webpages.

I'm looking to make changes, lifelong changes, NOW, before it permanently affects my lifespan more than it already has. But I KNOW I can't do them without some sort of support network. I've tried doing things on my own in the past, and the longest it's lasted was maybe a few weeks, and never resulted in anything at all.

One of my biggest weaknesses is that I love food. I'm definitely a foodie. When I was little, instead of watching cartoons, I would watch Food Network. Instead of playing outside until dinner was ready, I would come in and watch my mom or grandma cook. I'm definitely well above average skill-wise for someone my age as far as cooking abilities go.

Lately, I've been just not feeling well at all. Very tired and down, definitely some bouts of depression and just not wanting to talk to people at all. It has some due in part to being 250 miles from most of my friends now that I've dropped out of college, but also to do definitely in part with my diet. I know that if I can get my diet right, everything will start falling back into place.

I want to start with what goes in, because I know as big as I am, my RMR is higher than average, which means that I can lose lots of weight very quickly in the beginning without even changing my activity levels at all. I also know that If I eat right, my energy levels will rise, which will give me more and more energy and motivation to get up and go exercise, even if it is just walking a mile or two.

I just needed to get my story out there, and I need some sort of support group of people that can hold me accountable, because self-accountability is definitely not one of my strong suits at 19.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Talon Lister

Replies

• Elphaba1313
    Elphaba1313 Posts: 190 Member
    You are in the right place and your mind set indicates you are ready to do this.

There are many far wiser than me that will be able to give you far better advice than I can, but I had to comment on this post.

Congratulations on taking this first step.

Much love

E
  • Chilli7777
    Chilli7777 Posts: 112 Member
    Feel free to add me. I log every day.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    you sound like you have a good mindset for this which is great, although be aware that this may well become a bumpy ride, especially if you find yourself tinged with depression. Getting outside will help somewhat with this, but keep an eye on it.

Don't try and drop your calories too quickly - as you say yourself, the weight will come off quickly at first, but just set a reasonable manageable deficit that doesn't make you starving and work on sticking to that. You enjoy food, so find some great healthy and fresh recipes you can create - for me, half the fun of losing weight is creating fresh delicious meals myself.

I favour just three meals a day and no snacks - this means my meals each can be filling and satisfying and full of great ingredients. If I snack, it tends not to satisfy me and I'd rather wait a little longer for a fuller meal.

Get walking. Maybe try and set yourself a target of half an hour around the block every evening. Your job won't help, but try and walk as much during the day - get up to talk to people as much as you can. More intense exercise can come later.

You are far from your old friends, sure, but what about new friends? Do you have a chance to make some friends, maybe find a hobby that involves some form of exercise to make new friends?

Keep logging here and checking in here - there's a lot of good advice and support floating around

• Iamsimpleguy
    Iamsimpleguy Posts: 1,575 Member
    You can do it mate!! Stick to the basics and be positive nothing is impossible!! Feel free to add me. Start with small steps one day they will reach you to top. all the best.
  • MarkaStone
    MarkaStone Posts: 55 Member
    edited October 2016
    Small steps, Start by logging everything that you eat & drink, be honest when you log because the only person you'll be lying to is yourself. Keep your diary private until you feel comfortable with people seeing what you're eating because opening it up takes a lot of courage but is, i believe, something that helps a lot with the mindset. For me that felt like I was confirming my commitment to my lifestyle change.

Just remember it's not plain sailing and you'll find it difficult at times. The trick is picking yourself up and carrying on. Or putting it in a way my age addled brain works "I'm just too stupid to know when to quit"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    You can do it!

Start slow. Log what you eat right now. You're probably not at your computer working every minute that you're up... so use that time wisely. Go for a walk. Buy an exercise bike and hop on it while watching TV. Use your cooking skills towards lower calorie meals (check skinnytaste.com).

Best of luck!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Congratulations on starting your journey. It really is as simple as eating in a caloric deficit, getting adequate protein and doing whatever exercise you can. Remember that you didn't gain the weight over night so it won't come off overnight.
  • betheveritt5
    betheveritt5 Posts: 1 Member
    Go for it. I am on day 3 of a 100 day challenge. Start with keeping track of every last thing you eat, and weigh it if you can. Otherwise get glad or some other brand cheap containers in the 8 and 4 oz size and dump your food in them. When that amount is gone...your done, no more. And try pacing while working on the computer, just a little bit of movement is better than none. Good luck, I will check in on you again.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    I started out at 368lbs, I've lost ~70lbs so far. All you need to do is count calories. There's no reason to try and restrict, no real need for exercise yet (I injured my knees exercising at my highest weight).

If you can, purchase a food scale and weigh the things you eat. Choose the correct entries in the database and log them. If it doesn't hurt your knees, just get up and walk around a little.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Everyone has given you great tips and support.
    As far as your mom complaining about extra meals, perhaps you can purchase some healthy items of your own to supplement or exchange in for the family menu.
    As everyone has said, all it takes is a deficit, but, you can add veggies and fruit to your diet when you cut down on the more calorific items on the family menu.
    Like if there's fried potatoes or pasta on the menu, you can eat less of that and more of roasted veggies or salad. Your salad can be chock full of yummy veggies!
    Instead of a sugary dessert everyday, you can have your favorite fruit! And if you want a sugary dessert, just make sure it fits into your daily calorie allowance! I've lost while indulging my chocolate mania-just fit it in!
    You will be pleasantly surprised at how much better you'll feel with the food additions and with starting to walk every day. Drink lots of water!
    When you start losing, you'll be so happy! Remember everyday how important this journey is to your healthy future! It might be uncomfortable for your Mom/family to see these changes in you, but you just keep on doing the best for you! At 19, you don't want to be on medications for the rest of your life when you can make yourself well through eating and moving your body!
    You can and will succeed!
    One more thing, if you have some difficult times (and we all do), when you may overeat, just keep going!
  • Hannah03253
    Hannah03253 Posts: 6 Member
    You're off to an awesome start! Keep on going, one day at a time.

I'd love to be friends with you!
  • 00000eli
    00000eli Posts: 37 Member
    Glad that you are starting to get healthier now.

Sending you a friend's request.
  • eIIekay
    eIIekay Posts: 164 Member
    You are definitely in the right place. Good for you for taking these steps while you are young. Without changing what you eat, if you eat less calories per day, the weight will come off. Best wishes...you can do this!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
    You've come to the right place and it sounds like you are ready to do this. Start out small and build from there. Little changes make a huge difference. If you try to do everything at once, it can become a little overwhelming. Feel free to add me for a friend if you were looking for some support.

Cheers,

Rachel
  • PlantBasedRnr
    PlantBasedRnr Posts: 129 Member
    Wow man - after reading this it definitely sounds like your head is in the right place and you are ready to do this. I have a similar story but wasn't carrying as much weight, I had a health scare that woke me up and I changed my ways and lost nearly 100 lbs in a very short amount of time. I, like you, joined this site and " lurked " for a very long time but getting involved is very important, I can't tell you what to do only what I did. When I decided it was time for a change I literally read and watched everything I could about health and nutrition - I would recommend getting a Netflix account and watching Forks Over Knives, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, GMO OMG and all the other documentaries about food and nutrition, it certainly scared me into making a change. I am now Plant Based and running half marathons, granted most people don't do things as dramatically as I did, making a 180 degree change in lifestyle but that is what I had to do, I can't do things 50, 75, or 90%. I started by walking to the end of the street and back, then a mile, then two, then 7 and 8 and then I realized " Hey, this would go a lot quicker if I ran " and that's what I did. Dude - you are amazing, I am proud of you - people like you inspire me in more ways than you can imagine, welcome to the club and good luck on your journey - it won't be easy but it will be worth it.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    You can do this. I started at almost 390 and am now 190. It takes time and effort but it can be done. You seem to be in a good mindset to do this which is 99% of the battle IMO.