• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    aylajane wrote: »
    ktra2014 wrote: »
    @Christine_72 I barely ever eat peanut butter but when I do I only have a tsp and with cheese I like the sargento colby jack that comes individually wrapped that way I have the nutritional facts.

"I barely ever eat peanut butter but when I do I only have a tsp" -- there is a problem. "A teaspoon" -- do you scrape it even across the top with the teaspoon? Or leave it rounded? The difference could be easily 50-100 calories. Not even all teaspoons are really the same. Do you have any on the bottom of the spoon from dipping it out? Do you eat that in addition to what is in the teaspoon or put it back? That could be another 25-50 calories. Do you lick your finger if you scraped it across the top? Another 10-25 calories. There is no such thing as a "teaspoon" of peanut butter :)

Get a scale :) $10-15. Even if you only use it once in a while to verify some things, totally totally worth it!!!

This. Measuring cups and spoons are inaccurate. They depend solely on the user for accuracy, and I can tell you that you aren't accurate no matter how much you think you are (i.e. Using your hand for meat).

Even packaged items are off. Despite my granola bars telling me they're 190 calories for 72 grams, I've rarely had one come out of the package at 72 grams. Typically they are closer to 80-85g. My granola bar just went from 190 cals to 211-245cals straight out of the package. Do that multiple times a day and you wipe out a deficit.

Get a food scale. Weigh all your solids. Report back in a few months. If you don't notice a difference, then it's time to dig deeper. But right now, this is a really easy fix.

Just posted this elsewhere, but I bought a scale yesterday. My 1 cup (45) gram breakfast cereal @ 300 calories actually weighed 97 grams so over double what I though I was eating for calories.

BOOM!!
    Its such a "light bulb" moment, ey? For me it was more like... "oooh shyyyyt"!
    To hell with you measuring cups!!! =P

Indeed. Measuring cups are soooooo inaccurate.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    neohdiver wrote: »
    I should buy the food scale
    So I know it is possible to be very accurate without using a scale.

You cannot be accurate without a measuring device. You deficit was just great enough to account for your mis-measurements.

Absolutely correct, because othewise it's all guesswork.
  • ktra2014
    ktra2014 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Listen.. you are smaller, more toned.. and almost 10 pounds lighter too. You are doing great. I've always said.. working out almost stalls weight loss on the scale just because you're adding muscle which is compact..smaller.. to your frame. Don't let the scale mess with your head.. you are making progress.

I'm on day 78.. and i think i might be in the same boat.. i'm down a size..but I have not weighed myself because I don't want to be discouraged. I think I too have lost just a few pounds at most... but I've been working out ..cardio and weights to improve my fitness ...strength ..and overall health.

You're being smart... i hope you took some before pics.. if so..compare those and I bet you'll feel great about things. :)

I loved this thank you :smiley:
  • jasephilip
    jasephilip Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Here's an interesting yet long post on the starvation issue from Ray Cronice. http://hypothermics.com/2015/10/starvation-mode/#more-2323
    TL:DR version - fat is energy storage, if you aren't eating any easy energy, the body uses fat.
  • ktra2014
    Options
    This is what my progress looks like.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This is what my progress looks like.

I can definitely see a difference and I think this is an example why you should continue to use multiple methods of progress monitoring like you are.

I would still get a food scale, but that's more for your shrinking room for error in deficit than a lack of progress at this point. It'll help you prepare for when the time comes to be as precise as possible.

• savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    How many calories do you burn a day? You say you are eating about 1200-1400 but if you are burning 500 a day then you are netting 700-900, which is way too low. By not eating enough you could be putting your body into starvation mode.

No, starvation mode is not a thing. Eating more calories doesn't cause a higher weight loss, the OP likely has inaccuracies in their logging.

Not eating enough will slow down your metabolism, your body needs a certain amount of calories just to function daily. Do your research.

The slowing down of your metabolism isn't enough to stop weight loss though

It can be, if you're very short/small and you're not aiming for a big deficit.
  • DawnNathan
    DawnNathan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    tacrok wrote: »
    My first question is like Kristen6350, are you weighing/measuring your foods?

Next, have you had a physical recently? To rule out any underlying medical problems.

Lastly - do you take anything like ambien?

What does ambien or the like have to do with weight loss? Medication doesn't cause weight to be slower, but hunger from a bigger appetitle due to the medication can if you eat too much.

Some medications actually slow down your metabolism examples would be SSRIs (prescribed for depression etc., narcotic pain relievers, NSAIDs (pain relievers for inflammation) and those are just the ones off the top of my head. I'm sure there are others. Oops just remembered another one steroids like Prednisone.
  • asrai50
    asrai50 Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Its a number on a scale...it represents your body mass in relation to gravity :smiley: Don't give it more power than that. You have lost inches, you have gained muscle, your clothes fit better and I bet you are healthier now than you were then. Looks like an all around win to me! Keep plugging along. Make sure that you are accurately counting what you are eating. Sometimes when we estimate its amazing how far off we can be.
    Keep up the good work.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Great advice has already been give.

Moving forward.
    Getting a scale will mean your calorie intake will be accurate for the first time. This means you will be eating less than you have been, without your calorie goal changing.
    Previously your food intake and exercise burn kept you just below maintenance, while not eating back exercise calories.

With accurate logging (using your newly acquired food scale :)) start eating back your exercise calories. That is the way MFP was designed.
    If you find eating 100% of your exercise calories does not have you losing at the weekly goal MFP determined drop them by 10-15% at a time until you are losing close to the MFP prediction.

You look really good in the comparison picture.
    Keep up the good work and aim for getting into the normal BMI range.

Cheers, h.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Please come back and let us know if you have had better success or any eye openers once you started using a scale. I always like to read about these to see how much of an impact using a scale really makes. Good luck! I can definitely see progress in your photos!
  • ktra2014
    Options
    @Noreenmarie1234 Thank you, I definetly will keep you guys informed of my progress :smile:
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Thanks I know I should be taking it as a win specially since I feel better overall.

I do not have a food scale I do use measuring cups and the size of my palm for an idea for my meats. I really should get rid of the number I have in my head and the scale, I have a picture of myself at 145 and now and I look about the same if anything I feel stronger and have more endurance.

If you look and feel great, that's all that really matters. If the number on the scale matters to you as well, then go with the food scale. Volumes lie. I can look at a chicken breast and tell you that it's 8oz and toss it on the scale and it be 10oz, or 6.5. Meats especially have water in them and it's tough to judge them by sight. Vegetables as well, they are irregular shapes so there's no telling how many you could squeeze into a measuring cup if you tried. About the only thing I use a measuring cup for is liquids.
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    aylajane wrote: »
    @Christine_72 I barely ever eat peanut butter but when I do I only have a tsp and with cheese I like the sargento colby jack that comes individually wrapped that way I have the nutritional facts.

"I barely ever eat peanut butter but when I do I only have a tsp" -- there is a problem. "A teaspoon" -- do you scrape it even across the top with the teaspoon? Or leave it rounded? The difference could be easily 50-100 calories. Not even all teaspoons are really the same. Do you have any on the bottom of the spoon from dipping it out? Do you eat that in addition to what is in the teaspoon or put it back? That could be another 25-50 calories. Do you lick your finger if you scraped it across the top? Another 10-25 calories. There is no such thing as a "teaspoon" of peanut butter :)

Get a scale :) $10-15. Even if you only use it once in a while to verify some things, totally totally worth it!!!

This. Measuring cups and spoons are inaccurate. They depend solely on the user for accuracy, and I can tell you that you aren't accurate no matter how much you think you are (i.e. Using your hand for meat).

Even packaged items are off. Despite my granola bars telling me they're 190 calories for 72 grams, I've rarely had one come out of the package at 72 grams. Typically they are closer to 80-85g. My granola bar just went from 190 cals to 211-245cals straight out of the package. Do that multiple times a day and you wipe out a deficit.

Get a food scale. Weigh all your solids. Report back in a few months. If you don't notice a difference, then it's time to dig deeper. But right now, this is a really easy fix.

Just posted this elsewhere, but I bought a scale yesterday. My 1 cup (45) gram breakfast cereal @ 300 calories actually weighed 97 grams so over double what I though I was eating for calories.

BOOM!!
    Its such a "light bulb" moment, ey? For me it was more like... "oooh shyyyyt"!
    To hell with you measuring cups!!! =P

You also notice the box last a lot longer...

Good luck