Is it bad to take in more Protein than fat?

Options
Currently my split goes as follows:

Carbs: 50%
Fat: 20%
Protein: 30%

Calorie limit: 1900

Will this facilitate healthy weight loss given I eat the right foods and hit my calorie goals?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you stick to your calorie requirement you will probably lose weight
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    Never!!!! - Depends on your activity level if you burn 2400 calories a day you will lose a pound a week
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Nothing facilitates more than remaining within a calorie deficit. More protein is fine.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Tonyrebuilt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up. Reason I asked is because I was told my body would start using the extra protein for fuel instead of fat and I would lose lean muscle.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Never!!!! - Depends on your activity level if you burn 2400 calories a day you will lose a pound a week

You need to be in a 3500 calorie deficit per week to lose one pound per week, which is about 500 calories deficit per day.
  • Michael190lbs
    edited October 2016
    Options

You need to be in a 3500 calorie deficit per week to lose one pound per week, which is about 500 calories deficit per day.

his calorie intake is 1900 I said 2400 burn which is neg 500 per day:) We just looked at it different-lol
  • CorneliusPhoton
    Options
    Thanks for clearing that up. Reason I asked is because I was told my body would start using the extra protein for fuel instead of fat and I would lose lean muscle.

Most people lose lean muscle at the same time as losing fat. You can minimize it by eating adequate protein and exercising.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options

Well considering my estimated BMR is 2600 I should be losing 1 pound every 5 days.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    edited October 2016
    Options

his calorie intake is 1900 I said 2400 burn which is neg 500 per day:) We just looked at it different-lol

I see where you are coming from, but I think it could be misinterpreted by some to mean that they have to exercise until they burn off 2400 calories. If 1900 is already a deficit set by MFP, no extra burn is needed. You don't have to exercise at all to lose weight if you eat within your calorie limit. MFP will already give you a 500 per day deficit in the goal they give you for 1 lb per week loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Will this facilitate healthy weight loss given I eat the right foods and hit my calorie goals?

That's about 42 grams of fat per day, which is not much. What is your weight?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Is it bad to take in more Protein than fat?
    Not if you are hitting a sensible fat minimum goal - I like 0.4g of fat / lb of bodyweight for example when I'm tracking macros.
  • Michael190lbs
    Options

I see where you are coming from, but I think it could be misinterpreted by some to mean that they have to exercise until they burn off 2400 calories. If 1900 is already a deficit set by MFP, no extra burn is needed. You don't have to exercise at all to lose weight if you eat within your calorie limit. MFP will already give you a 500 per day deficit in the goal they give you for 1 lb per week loss.

I can understand that and we are on MFP so makes sense your way.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

Yeeeees...? It's the calorie limit aligned with your TDEE that's going to facilitate the healthy weight loss- not necessarily your macros (which are in place to align with your nutritional/training goals).

As per the right foods... eat whatever you want within your macro/calorie ranges (fat loss) with an eye toward nutritionally well rounded (health).
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I weigh 279lbs currently
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options

Most people lose lean muscle at the same time as losing fat. You can minimize it by eating adequate protein and exercising.

So if I work out like I plan to do I should be good?
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »

Yeeeees...? It's the calorie limit aligned with your TDEE that's going to facilitate the healthy weight loss- not necessarily your macros (which are in place to align with your nutritional/training goals).

As per the right foods... eat whatever you want within your macro/calorie ranges (fat loss) with an eye toward nutritionally well rounded (health).

I was told that my body would burn protein for fuel instead of fat and I would lose lean muscle. That's what I meant about healthy weight loss. I don't want to lose lean muscle just the fat. I do my standard push ups and sit ups everyday .
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options

No. You were told wrong. The extra protein will help preserve lean muscle as you lose weight. Those are excellent macros as long as you limit your calories to 1900. If you start working out you can eat most of the calories you earn from exercise and still lose weight. I've lost over 100 pounds with similar macros and still have decent muscles.

So if I work out like I plan to do I should be good?

Yes.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Dano74 wrote: »

I was told that my body would burn protein for fuel instead of fat and I would lose lean muscle. That's what I meant about healthy weight loss. I don't want to lose lean muscle just the fat. I do my standard push ups and sit ups everyday .

Whoever told you that is an idiot, and you should probably disregard any other advice they give you as well because it will probably be equally garbage.

Adequate protein intake helps preserve lean body mass. Read this thread for help on setting up your macros properly and why you should do it that way:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I weigh 279lbs currently

That is way too little fat. Multiply the top "healthy weight" for your height by .4 and use that as your fat goal in grams. So if the top weight is 175, it would be 70 grams per day, for example. Dietary fat is important for hormone function and to aid in vitamin absorption. It's not a macro to whack down to poverty levels.
  • Tonyrebuilt
    Options

I weigh 279lbs currently

That is way too little fat. Multiply the top "healthy weight" for your height by .4 and use that as your fat goal in grams. So if the top weight is 175, it would be 70 grams per day, for example. Dietary fat is important for hormone function and to aid in vitamin absorption. It's not a macro to whack down to poverty levels.

Only thing is, if I weighed 175lbs I would be literally skin and bone. My ideal healthy weight is 235lbs. I'm not 279lbs of fluff. I got a lot of muscle that been covered up over thepast 5 years.