Weirdest food you've ever eaten?

Options

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Sea cucumber (quite possibly the nastiest thing I have ever put in my mouth), shark fin soup, duck tongues (all consumed at a Chinese wedding banquet). Gator, yak, kangaroo...and pretty much everything else mentioned above save for balut and blood pudding.

Even though I am generally not much of a meat eater...I will try a taste of just about any food put before me. The only exceptions would be animals typically kept as pets (including rabbit, which I know is commonly found on menus, but I can't help thinking of my neighbor's sweet french lop-eared bunny).
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Pickled Pig Lips
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    It's only weird if you're a Yankee I guess... frog legs and alligator. Loved the alligator - tasted like chicken with the texture of shrimp. Not a fan of the frog legs I had; they had an aftertaste of swamp.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid i ate frogs legs,snails,rabbit,moose,head cheese,octopus,squid
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    pork brains, beef brains, frog legs, grasshoppers, squirrel, rabbit, black bear and some stuff in Korea I didn't even ask...
  • Zee_0100
    Zee_0100 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    McDonald's fries feels like eating lard stick

Absolutely right!
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The weirdest thing I've ever eaten was chitlins. Didn't like them any of the three times but people kept tellin me that it was because the last time they weren't made right. At least I now know for sure that I do not like them.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I had to Google head cheese. It was not what I expected. It's actually not at all as bad as I expected...
  • sjtejeda
    sjtejeda Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My cousin and I went bullfrog hunting with bb guns and a net and brought a big one back, chopped off it's hind legs, peeled off the skin and had an adult cook em up fried chicken style (rolled in egg then seasoned flour then egg and flour again). It was actually really good tasted like chicken but flaked apart like fish
  • dancing_daisy
    dancing_daisy Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Funny how foods are weird in one part of the world and not in another!

Blood cake = black pudding (I think) and its a traditional part of a cooked breakfast as well as a much loved alternative to fish in fish and chips where I live!

Ox Tail = Heniz soup doesn't it? Very popular brand and used to be one of my favorite 'flavours'!

Weirdest thing I've eaten: PIGEON and it wasn't all that great. Kinda gritty and very small :/
  • pbandwine
    pbandwine Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Tripe. Worst think I have ever put in my mouth
  • _Minx
    _Minx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    pbandwine wrote: »
    Tripe. Worst think I have ever put in my mouth

yuck!
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm curious.

I tried Escargot on a cruise ship and while it was not that bad, I would never eat it again. Just the thought alone makes me shudder.

Escargot, definitely. Wouldn't do it again (even though it tasted pretty good honestly), I'm just a "I need to try everything once" sort of person.

By extension, abalone. People think of abalone as shellfish like eating scallops or oysters, but they're actually aquatic snails.

Haggis is good, but another "I just want to try it once but other than that I don't feel like surpassing all the mental barriers" food item.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ohh, I had Pho the other day. There was hexagonal stuff in it which was kind of chewy. i found out later it was lung. It wasn't half bad.
  • eirikra
    eirikra Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That must be either snake soup or fermented trout.
  • amcalmond768
    amcalmond768 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Ostrich ... also had elk .. I also had blood pudding in Ireland!
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    cheese. Think about it. That shít makes no sense. It's pressed coagulated milk.